[How to] Qi Wireless charging on OPO?

?

Is qi charging something you would like built in?

1. yes

407 vote(s)
    90.8%
  2. no

6 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. mehh... Dont really care so much

35 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

shrenil19 , Jan 27, 2015 :
    [​IMG]

Many smart phones have the ability to charge wirelessly commonly known as Qi charging. The opo currently does not support this feature. In this thread I will be attempting to add qi wireless charging and a clean, efficient and simple way.

I will be using the following products from amazon:
    BLUBOON(TM) Universal Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Wireless Charger Receiver Film for Micro-usb of All Android Mobile (Narrow-interface Down) ($13.99 USD)
    [​IMG]
    Anker® Ultra-Slim Qi-Enabled Wireless Charging Pad for Nexus 4 / 5 / 7(2013), Lumia 920, 928, Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, LG, HTC and Other Qi-Enabled Phones and Tablets ($22.99 USD)
    [​IMG]
    Method 1:

I will try to first...
    1. Remove the back cover exposing the battery of the phone
    2. Place the charging receiver on top of the battery and plug the usb into the already existing charging port.
    Cons with this method:

• The cover will not fully close and the wire will be sticking out of the back.
    • The charging port will be occupied while charging.

Pros:

• I have seen a couple videos with other phones that do the same method and they said that the cover not closing all the way was not a big problem. They also said that the wire was not really noticeable. So we'll just have to see.

Method 2 (backup plan):

1. Instead of putting the receiver inside the phone itself I will just leave it between the phone and my case. This way it still works and i have the freedom to take it out when ever i wish :)
    Cons:

• The receiver will look horrible in my case since i have a clear case
    • The receiver might shift around in the case.

Pros:

• This method is quick and easy, anyone can do it.
    • It is safe and the phone will be in no danger since I'm not tampering with the back cover.

(I recommend this option for people with thick or colored cases)

If anyone knows of or uses a better wireless charging plate please leave some info down below. Out of all the research I did this ANKER plate was the best one i could find.

Note: I will receive the parts in about 2 weeks and i will keep this thread updated with pictures.

Edit: Amazon lost my package! I'll be waiting another couple of weeks now. Ughhhh!

Update:
    So I finally received my parts a while back buy did not update this thread sorry :(

The first method did not work. The back cover didn't close over the cable since the fit is too tight. I just ended up putting the receiver in my case instead of the phone itself. So for those of you that were hopeful I guess you're going to have to wait for the OP2.

Pictures soon...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

2. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

3. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Jan 27, 2015

4. iFerio
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2015

5. tjunkie
    Gingerbread Jan 27, 2015

tjunkie , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Let us know how it goes . I tried qi charging on my note 3 but didn't like it because it got super hot ..

6. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

Crayon128 likes this.
  7. psionandy
    Froyo Feb 18, 2015

8. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 16, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 16, 2015 :
    @shrenil19 .... any updates? I LOVE your intro post and all the details, images, links, etc!! I was SUPER bummed to see that there were only 7 posts and no updates :(

I'm VERY curious to know which method you went with and what your results were, especially with the mA current supplied from the coil to the OPO!

9. mccannr1
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2015

mccannr1 , Mar 16, 2015 :
    I tried doing the same thing but that Qi receiver didn't really work. I'd put it on my charger and the Opo would recognize that it should be charging (the charging indicator would turn on) but the device wouldn't actual receive any power. I left it there for hours and the battery life actually decreased.

I tried another brand receiver (though I suspect it may have been the exact same device with another brand name slapped on it) and had the same result.

10. ProWeb
    Donut Mar 16, 2015

ProWeb , Mar 16, 2015 :
    Thanks for the reply! That's definitely my concern too... that I buy another receiver and/or transmitter and have the exact same problem.

11. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Mar 18, 2015

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

12. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2015

13. CoffeeJunkie7
    Froyo Mar 19, 2015

CoffeeJunkie7 , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Sweet. I'll be watching. I'm interested, but like others have noted, I don't want the device getting too hot.

Coming from Samsung, some of those batteries were known to swell, or just smoke & start a fire. Why tempt fate unnecessarily?

seweriusz likes this.
  14. alexlam24
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 19, 2015

alexlam24 , Mar 19, 2015 :
    Any phone will get hot charging...

15. Edward Ooi
    Cupcake Mar 19, 2015

16. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2015

shrenil19 , Mar 19, 2015 :
    So far I haven't noticed anything but I'll need to test it a bit more

17. cl1que
    Donut Mar 19, 2015

cl1que , Mar 19, 2015 :
    I tried using this adapter for a few months. It was okay but I eventually gave up on it. Visually I barely noticed it. I tucked it underneath a case and because the cable is black it blended in with the black case and black phone. It did not stick out much either.

It can be hard to find the right way to place your phone on the charging pad, but once you do it's pretty simple. You also need to make sure that you avoid knocking the phone off accidentally while it's charging (which can take some getting used to if you're like me and tend to place stuff on your nightstand, e.g. a Kindle, while the room is pitch black and your phone is charging near the same area). Based on Amazon reviews, these seem to have poor quality control and there is a small but decent risk of getting a lemon. The one I received seemed fine though.

My two biggest problems were the charging speed and (relatedly) charging a completely dead phone. These adapters are only rated 0.5A versus the 2.1A that you can get from a wired charger. That makes the charger relatively slow. I can't remember off the top of my head but it took a good 4-6ish to get a full charge. That's great if you always remember to charge your phone. Though I almost always do, I sometimes forget and the charge I would get if I only put it on the charger during the 1 hour in the morning while I got ready was minimal. The 0.5A also causes a problem if a rogue process starts running on your phone because 0.5A can't charge significantly faster than some of these processes eat battery and sometimes this would cause a full night's charge (4-6 hours) to only get me 20-30% additional battery. Whereas even if a rogue process is running all night, a 2.1A charger will usually get you a full battery by the morning. The charging speed was also a drag for me when I needed to charge my battery quickly (e.g. if I had used my phone a lot during the day and was about to take a red-eye flight and needed to charge it asap). Because it was so slow, in these instances I would take off the cover, unplug the adapter, and charge the phone with a regular cable.

0.5A also causes a problem if the battery completely dies, at least for me. If this happened and my phone was off with 0% battery, placing it on the charging pad would cause the phone to boot and then shut down mid-boot due to insufficient power. It would keep doing this over and over (without actually gaining a significant charge) unless I manually turned off the phone while it was booting so it wouldn't try to turn on purely because it had started charging.

These annoyances made me just give up on using a wireless charging adapter. I really wanted to like it but 0.5A just killed it for me. If you never have an issue with a rogue process running at night, are militant about always placing it on the charging pad, and rarely need to charge your phone in a hurry, wireless charging is great. I really like the idea of not having to plug in my phone and being able to just set it down, but I probably won't use it again unless it is built into a device or the adapters go beyond 0.5A.

18. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2015

frankiecortina and OALEXANDER like this.
  19. shrenil19
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2015

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

20. OALEXANDER
    Nougat Assistant Head Moderator Mar 20, 2015