How to recover from boot loop for dummies...

1. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

jaysmoke , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Ok. So I finally got my One back to work. So what happened was I updated my One to the latest build (never happening again) 38r, few days later phone rebooted and it was stuck on reboot. I searched the whole internet for a solution and all I kept getting were android tech jargons. And as an iOS user, you can imagine the frustration I went through. Anyways thanx to @firewire2035 who pointed me to this OneToolkit for Mac. I downloaded it, and after speaking to the developer, @Mechanical, he was kind enough to guide me through what to do in order to save my phone. So I took it upon myself to create a step by step guide as to what to do in order to get your phone out of the infinite loop for MAC Users.

Step 1;
    Download OneToolkit for Mac at this address. After you download it, install it on your applications folder on your Mac. Double click it to open it.

When it's opens you will see this list;

0. Instructions to enable USB Debugging
    1. Unlock the bootloader of my OnePlus One
    2. Flash a recovery
    3. Root my OnePlus One
    4. Reflash device back to stock.
    5. Lock the boot loader
    6. Do some basic ADB and Fastboot commands.
    7. Install ADB and Fastboot to my Mac
    8. About
    9. Exit
    Step 2;
    Put your phone off and press power + volume up button to go into Fastboot Mode. You will see CID's head (the rabbit like character) with the words Fastboot Mode underneath it. Make sure it's connected to your computer.

Step 3;
    Make sure you follow these instructions to the letter. Thanx to @Mechanical for this. Go to the OneToolkit you opened in Step 1 and;
    1. Type 6 to 'Do some basic ADB and Fastboot commands'
    2. On the next page, type 8 to Unlock the boot loader manually. This should reboot your device which will throw it back into the boot loop mode.
    3. Put your phone off, press power + volume up buttons to get into fast boot mode again. This was very tricky for me so be patient and keep trying till you get it.
    4. One the toolkit, type 7 to 'Reboot the phone into any custom recovery (without installing)
    5. Wait about 1-2 minutes. The fast boot logo should light up at this point and your phone should reboot with TWRP.
    6. Once TWRP has rebooted, choose "Advanced" and "Terminal Commands" and then "Select" in the bottom right corner.
    7. Once you've gotten to the terminal window, write: make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 and press go/send at bottom right.
    8. It'll probably work some stuff out instantly and you should see some data information. Once this is done, press the android back button (bottom right) until you see the main menu of TWRP and reboot back into the system.
    9. The phone should now reboot normally.
    You will probably loose all data. Your phone will be fresh again and you can visit the play store to download your apps etc. I would still like to know what really happened to have caused this malfunction. The thought that your phone can simply reboot and you will loose all data is very scary but then I read somewhere that you won't loose any data if your phone was unlocked prior to it going into this loop state? I guess it will be best to not lock the bootloader again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

eranm5, wikaie, Ivanpoocky13 and 2 others like this.
  2. abhibhan89
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

abhibhan89 , Oct 18, 2014 :

Thanks for listing all the links together..

TWRP is actually a recovery, which you can install once you have rooted and unlocked bootloader, on your phone..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

jkbhso3 likes this.
  3. abhibhan89
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

abhibhan89 , Oct 18, 2014 :
    This should help you with rooting and unlocking bootloader on your OPO:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/gui-oneplus-one-toolkit-by-manudroid19.51524/

The same also lets you install the recovery, using flash recovery option.
    You need to download the zip file. which you can get from here: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/231

But go through the links thoroughly and understand each step.
    One wrong move may turn your phone useless.

Just a heads up:
    First unlock bootloader, then root the device, and then install recovery (TWRP)..

4. vmk2310
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2014

5. firewire2035
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

firewire2035 , Oct 18, 2014 :
    i dont have a mac, but probably can help you to sieve out the information.

1) you have been search in win adb, and that gave you a bunch of useless windows related info . refine the search with "mac adb". this pop up. hopefully this will give the the adb fastboot capability.

2) after you have established the adb link. unlock phone. (probably can do that with the link i provided)

3) to fix bootloop, follow your xda-efs-corrupt link. this is the most reliable way to fix the boot loop, i.e. many posts reported success.

hope this helps.

jaysmoke likes this.
  6. firewire2035
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

7. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Thanks guys for this info...but it still leads to the same point as all the other links I posted. They are toooo technical for ordinary people. I hv a problem...which I want practical simple guide to fix it. I don't know what unlock boot loader or install recovery means. Neither do many others and it will be really 'helpful' if someone can just give us a step by step approach to fixing this boot loop problem which seem to occur once u restart your phone after updating to 38r.

Eg.
    1. Put your phone off
    2. Press power + volume to boot into fast mode
    3. Download product A
    4. Install it and launch it
    5. Click button A and make sure Phone is plugged into PC
    6. Unplug phone and reboot. Done.

Not saying that it must be like this but atleast save all the terminologies for the techies. We just want to use our phone. Pleeeeeeease anyone.

vmk2310 likes this.
  8. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Oh thank you so much man. This is in the right direction. Will check it out and hopefully be able to understand what it means. So basically once I install that toolkit, I can use it to follow the instructions at xda-efs right?

vmk2310 likes this.
  9. firewire2035
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

i believe so. i am lucky enough not to have these problems. i keep track of it because as you know, sh*t happens. gl.

vmk2310 likes this.
  10. IonNuke
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 18, 2014

jaysmoke and vmk2310 like this.
  11. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Hi thanx for the link but is it the same as this??

12. FTAFreedom
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

FTAFreedom , Oct 18, 2014 :
    I will try and dumb it down for you............you updated to 38r on a stock phone and it crashed and your phone keeps rebooting never getting any further than a few seconds.

I don't believe "simple recovery" which is stock recovery (power and volume down) has a command prompt to do a quick script fix.

You need to log into your phone. (Unlocking Boot) This will allow you to send programmable software to the phone.

You will want to install a custom recovery file into your phone. To do this you need to make sure your PC has the programs and drivers to write to the phone. When you hit power+volume down you will enter recovery mode but if you've successfully flashed (programmed) a custom recovery file to your phone then your recovery mode on your phone will look different than stock giving you more options. At this point you force "root" to your phone. This means you are again programming to the phone. After, this is done you again program to erase your corrupt partition; flashboot erase perisit and then flashboot persist persist.img.

It's a lot to take in and it's hard to not be technically but read a lot; get familiar with your cmd dos commands and you can definitely repair your phone, it's not broke......but it is extremely frustrating.......

jaysmoke likes this.
  13. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Thanx for the try bruv. I got this OneToolkit for Mac, thanx to firewire2035, and thats what am trying to use right now. I used it to install ADB and Fastboot onto my Mac. Now am I am following this post which says:
    • TYPE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS IN YOUR CMD WINDOW:
    • fastboot erase persist
    • fastboot flash persist persist.img
    • now reboot and check if all is working. If you have no O.S. installed then you will need to flash something to get back up in running: see below
      Note that this will wipe your device 100% so if anything is on your phone back it up to your PC!
    Can you confirm if this is the right thing to do? I don't want to worsen the situation. I presume I first have to put my phone in Fastboot Mode i.e. power + volume up, before doing the above.

14. mydroid
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

mydroid , Oct 18, 2014 :

I've already compiled shorter versions before...
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/opo-38r-recovery-info.142671/

15. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Hi, thanx for the post. It takes me back to the very reason why I wrote this though. I have already checked out all the links in your post and none of them makes it any easier for a layman to solve this problem. Just looking for a step by step user-friendly guide. Something for a Mac User especially.

16. jaysmoke
    Gingerbread Oct 18, 2014

Hi, I am a bit confused here. So I got the app i.e. OnePlus One Toolkit and launched it. Everything seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, there's not much explanation for what any of the tabs do. I believe it's a generic tool so depending on your need, you can use it to do many things. So what would be the steps I need to take in order to get my phone out of the boot loop. Here are the options you get when you start the app. NB. I don't want to root or do none of them fancy things YET.

0. Instructions to enable USB Debugging
    1. Unlock the bootloader of my OnePlus One
    2. Flash a recovery
    3. Root my OnePlus One
    4. Reflash device back to stock.
    5. Lock the boot loader
    6. Do some basic ADB and Fastboot commands.
    7. Install ADB and Fastboot to my Mac
    8. About
    9. Exit
    I already did 7. I am trying to understand what you mean by 'established the adb link' though. How do I do that? Am sure once thats confirmed, I guess I just do 1 from the list to unlock the phone, right? Then after that, I do 6 and follow the xda-efs-corrupt post, I can be found here;
    • TYPE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS IN YOUR TERMINAL WINDOW:
    • fastboot erase persist
    • fastboot flash persist persist.img
    • now reboot and check if all is working.

17. firewire2035
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

1) power off phone

18. firewire2035
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

1) power off phone
    2) press power and volume up button same time to get into fastboot mode
    3) connect usb cable (steps may be out of sequence. check youtube.... there are many vods on unlocking)
    4) press 1 (unlock) in toolkit window.

6) set up usb developer mode

7) go through the xda thread.

may be someone can fill in what i may have left out.

19. ParthThakur
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2014

ParthThakur , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Have you tried factory resetting?
    (If you don't want to unlock)

If stuck in bootloop :
    • Power off phone. Press and hold power button until phone shuts down.
    When phone's powered off :
    1. Go into recovery mode. Press and hold power button and volume down button until 1+ logo appears. (You should be in CyanogenMod simple recovery after a while.)
    2. Factory reset the phone. Use volume keys to scroll, and power button to select.
    3. Wipe cache.
    4. Reboot phone.
    The first boot after this procedure should take longer than usual.
    If this doesn't work, you will have to unlock bootloader.

20. aminushki
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 7, 2014

aminushki , Nov 7, 2014 :
    I am stuck in a boot loop after using the OTA to 33r. Unfortunately I am using a PC and I keep getting "waiting for device" when I try to fastboot anything? Is there a PC version of this guide? I am totally lost.