How to shoot stars with 5T?

1. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Hey, I might doing something very wrong, but don't judge me. I want to learn how to shoot stars at night like they advertising it in this video :
    BTW, I tried for the first time and you will laugh at me what I've captured. Can anyone tell me what exactly parameters need to be set while shooting stars with OnePlus 5T?
    Yes, I'm doing something really wrong, but I'm new to this, that's why I'm asking for help.
    1512324773671.jpg

2. G_Colin_Dodds_cIwC
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2017

3. handheld_addict
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2017

handheld_addict , Dec 3, 2017 :
    I think you're actually on the right track here. Was this photo taken at night?

I'm still waiting for a clear night where I am to try it with my 5T but I've taken a few starry night photos with my 3T.

Obviously, you need to go into manual/pro mode. You'll also need a tripod of course.

If I recall, I set my shutter speed to 30 seconds, and my ISO 800... all I did was some research on Google about how to set exposure for star photography, played around with manual settings. It's really fun and is one of the strengths of the OnePlus camera.

Uriyah, alogim, victorzmartin and 3 others like this.
  4. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

Yeah, today I have clear night. I set up everything the same as that dude in the video, but I made my own 'tripod', maybe this is the problem. Share the pictures you took when you will do it. And I guess I I'm going to buy regular tripod for phone and try again. :)

alogim likes this.
  5. handheld_addict
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2017

A tripod is the best way to hold a camera, but it's not always completely necessary. I've seen some nice star photos in the OnePlus 3 forum where they simply laid the phone on the ground. Simple, smart. You can lay your phone on the ground, against a rock or a tree, as long as it keeps the camera completely still it'll do the job.

Good luck with the photos, keep experimenting.

6. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

I did laid my phone on the grass with my wallet. Didn't worked. I will try my best again :)

7. stefansstan
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

stefansstan , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Set your ISO to 100, Exposure to the highest time (30 sec) and the manual focus to infinite. Try not shacking the tripod by any means as this will blur your image :)

8. handheld_addict
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2017

Here's some experiments I took using the 5T the other evening. I was struck by the moon, wanted to see if I could take a nice photo of it.

Here's just a regular photo.

[​IMG]

Nice clouds but the moon just comes out as a white glow. So this is when it's time to switch to Pro mode.

Playing around with shutter speed and ISO, it's not easy and these are technically mistakes, but I find them interesting anyway.

[​IMG]

It's amazing how it looks like night turned to day. I was kinda surprised how much detail was picked up like the neighbor's house. In real life this is almost completely dark.

[​IMG]

I feel there's a lot of potential in the OnePlus 5T hardware. Really hoping it'll get optimized in an update.

And here's the shot of the moon I ended up with.

[​IMG]

It's very different from trying to shoot stars because the moon is way more bright. The settings I used are:

ISO 100
    shutter 1/800

Anyway just some of my 5T camera experiments.

vip+1, Uriyah, jahlil2nyc and 6 others like this.
  9. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

I will try it. Thanks :)

10. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

Hmm, after all it's not bad photo of the moon, but still not the same as they advertise. But I accept this challenge, I hope you too!

handheld_addict likes this.
  11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Dec 3, 2017

dsmonteiro , Dec 3, 2017 :
    The ones that suit your specific situation. The manual mode has no magic formula. You need to know what you're doing.

12. F_Danielius_Narauskas_YX
    Eclair Dec 3, 2017

You mean it must be specific parameters for each light conditions of specific night sky?

13. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Dec 3, 2017

dsmonteiro , Dec 3, 2017 :
    Yes, you need to adapt to the scene.

14. Felix Jaquez
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2018

Felix Jaquez , Feb 20, 2018 :
    What works for me.
    I start the shooting in pro mode with: ISO 3200, Exposure 10 seconds, Focus to infinite (all to right).
    From that, little changes until exactly what i want.
    An example: This one is not a good example of what you can achieve, but shows that you can shoot stars. This was the only i can upload here (less than 2M), and is garbage in comparison of what you can shoot.

Tip: The tripod is a must if you want to point to something, and i don´t recommend exposure greater than 10 seconds, or only for star trails.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-20 at 6.02.53 PM.jpeg

HaggyHammer and Nick 59 like this.
  15. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Feb 20, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Feb 20, 2018 :
    I shot this picture with my OnePlus 3T, ISO 100, Shutter Speed 30 seconds
    [​IMG]

16. Sai Nitish
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2018

17. bydustin
    Eclair Feb 21, 2018

bydustin , Feb 21, 2018 :
    Heyo there,
    This is probably cheating since I took this at Joshua Tree National Park, a place where there is very minimal light pollution. I just laid my phone on top of my car and took it at ISO 2,000 at 30 second shutter. I'll see if I can take any pictures in the city and I'll get back to this post.
    1519183688571.jpg
    Out of focus but oh well.
    1519183689003.jpg

18. U1513543301962
    Eclair Feb 21, 2018

19. DARTH 007
    KitKat Feb 21, 2018

20. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Feb 21, 2018

dsmonteiro , Feb 21, 2018 :
    Actually I would recommend the exact opposite. If you have a stable base, like a tripod (which is indeed a must) you should try as much as you can reducing ISO to remove noise from the scene.