How-to: Tips and Tricks for Screen Unlock

1. Louis S. Product Manager Staff Member Nov 7, 2018

Louis S., Nov 7, 2018 :
    Screen Unlock01.png

Hi everyone,

Here at OnePlus, one of our main goals is to share exciting new technology with the world. As @Kyle K. mentioned during the OnePlus 6T launch event, we’ve been experimenting with in-display fingerprint sensors for over a year, so you can imagine how happy we are to be able to include it in our brand-new device.

During our time getting to know this new tech, we were able to develop and refine it to make it as fast and reliable as we could. Now, it takes only 0.341s to unlock the screen, which makes it the fastest in the world. Still, we want to be sure we can help you achieve the best user experience possible! To that end, we’re creating this guide explaining how the tech works and providing several tips that can improve the time it takes for your device to unlock.

How It Works:

Screen Unlock.png

The green lights on the OnePlus 6T’s OLED panel serve as a light source when a finger presses the fingerprint identification area. That light is then reflected by the finger, before being detected by the fingerprint sensor that lies beneath the glass.

Then, the fingerprint lights are then transformed into electronic signals and the sensor chip will compare those signals with the ones already stored in the Snapdragon 845’s Trust Zone, to determine whether or not the phone should be unlocked.

Being a different technology than the one used on previous OnePlus devices, we understand that there may be an adaptation period to how Screen Unlock works. The following tips may help you with that.​

How to Make the Best of Screen Unlock:
    1. Confirm your OnePlus 6T is upgraded to the latest software version. Updates may bring improvements to the software behind Screen Unlock.
    2. Add fingerprints at room temperature and make sure the surrounding light is not too strong. This allows the sensor to get the best possible image from your finger, improving recognition.
    3. Please enter only one fingerprint to each fingerprint profile. The software needs multiple images from the same fingerprint to make a complete profile. If fingerprints from more than one finger are entered under one profile, some areas of the finger might not be scanned, increasing the recognition fail rate.
    4. When you need to unlock your phone, press the fingerprint icon evenly until your phone unlocks, otherwise the sensor might not have enough time to match the fingerprint with the profile.
    5. Screen Unlock works best with clean fingers and a clean display. Dirt will change the way the sensor detects your finger.
    6. We recommend only using screen protectors from OnePlus or our official partners. Reenter your fingerprints after each replacement of the protective film to ensure it works properly. The materials on the screen protectors may change how the fingerprint is detected.
    If the above-mentioned instructions aren’t enough, the following tip might be helpful for extreme cases: add your fingerprints in the dark. Because the screen unlock module is very sensitive to light, adding a fingerprint in the dark will certainly improve the way it works.

In the specific scenarios mentioned below, please follow the following suggestions,

upload_2018-11-7_19-46-2.png

And if you want to supercharge your unlocking experience, enabling both Screen Unlock and Face Unlock makes it even faster and enjoyable. We hope these tips were very helpful, but if you have any additional questions, be sure to drop them below. We’ll do our best to address all of them.

Cheers!

2. Dresa91 Oreo Nov 7, 2018

3. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 7, 2018

youbi, Nov 7, 2018 :
    This is surely the feature that still makes me think on upgrading from my op6. :sweatsmile: It did seem SyFy just a couple of years ago and now its a reality. :hearteyes:

Lets hope the sale of those start soon, because they are still to be seen on the online store. :p

4. Mark Falsing Jelly Bean Senior Moderator Nov 7, 2018

5. JelleZon KitKat Nov 7, 2018

JelleZon, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Nice, looking forward to testing the new FPS when my device arrives.
    Great that It will be improved over time.

Seagal_aikikai and Dresa91 like this.
  6. camohan Lollipop Moderator Nov 7, 2018

camohan, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Thanks Louis. I own a 5 and it is extremely convenient to just press the fps to unlock without screen on. I would appreciate if this could be considered for 6t.

7. maclad Donut Nov 7, 2018

maclad, Nov 7, 2018 :
    "....make sure the surrounding light is not too strong.".. that really solved my problem of slow unlock.. now can unlock at night time also..thanks [e]1f37b[/e]

8. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Nov 7, 2018

Moin2200, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I enjoy it overall as its fast and convinient. But it's still very inaccurate at most times.

9. tommyscy Eclair Nov 7, 2018

tommyscy, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Great instructions but you haven't released an official screen protector for 6T yet and you can find on eBay, this is weird...

10. meatandy Nougat Nov 7, 2018

meatandy, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Having set up the 6T last night using some of these common sense tips the fingerprint scanner actually functions very well , better than expected.

11. GopalB. Marshmallow Nov 7, 2018

GopalB., Nov 7, 2018 :
    I've seen several complaints regarding the lock screen wallpaper too... Like if you change it, the speed and accuracy of the screen unlock suffers...
    Is that true??? And is there any work around???

12. gcocucci Marshmallow Nov 7, 2018

gcocucci, Nov 7, 2018 :
    I unlock my 6 instantly. With 6t I have to activate the screen and fingerprint is slower than traditional. I forgot, better if I wash my hands and clean the display. Seductive technology but not real progress

13. gaster KitKat Moderator Nov 7, 2018

gaster, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Good to know Louis. Thank you!

14. the_o2 Lollipop Nov 7, 2018

the_o2, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Thanks for the tips, if possible please provide always on display, it would be more effective to do so...

15. the_o2 Lollipop Nov 7, 2018

the_o2, Nov 7, 2018 :
    That's happens with face unlock too in the older devices....

16. GopalB. Marshmallow Nov 7, 2018

GopalB., Nov 7, 2018 :
    Never observed that in my op5...

17. the_o2 Lollipop Nov 7, 2018

the_o2, Nov 7, 2018 :
    Put any image which is heavier in size or have high dimensions it effects, happens few times with me..

G_plusone, Dresa91 and buntycubal like this.
  18. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Nov 7, 2018

Cheetosdust, Nov 7, 2018 :
    [​IMG]
    ;)

19. GopalB. Marshmallow Nov 7, 2018

GopalB., Nov 7, 2018 :
    That's strange...

20. the_o2 Lollipop Nov 7, 2018