[How To] Update Latest OOS Stable/Beta with Stock Or Custom Recovery without Data Loss !!

1. Wopr
    Donut May 29, 2018

Wopr , May 29, 2018 :
    Ok, I'll follow the second way.
    it's strange though, for the last ota I only used the downloaded open beta on the phone(downloaded automatically in the update settings not from OnePlus site) and then I've flashed it from TWRP and all went good...it seems this is an unrecommended procedure if you suggest to pick and flash(in TWRP) the zip from the OnePlus download page, rather than flashing(with TWRP) the downloaded OTA (in the phone settings), right?

P.S.
    If my explanation isn't clear, here's a 3 min video that illustrates it:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/lnOiIRAHAEQ?wmode=opaque

2. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean May 30, 2018

Praty_28 , May 30, 2018 :
    Actually its fine, you can also use the zip downloaded via system update. As long as its the full package downloaded (~1.5gb) you are good to go.

Wopr likes this.
  3. Wopr
    Donut Jun 14, 2018

Wopr , Jun 14, 2018 :
    I'm on beta with stock recovery and Unlocked bootloader.
    Just received new beta ota update. Can I follow the standard procedure for updating through phone settings page(e.g. download the ota and then select update) or there are some problems related to the unlocked bootloader?

P.S. after receiving the ota, and opening the update tab in phone settings, an alert message popped up saying something like: OEM unlock detected, remember to perform a data backup...
    here's why I'm worried about this story.

4. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Jun 14, 2018

Praty_28 , Jun 14, 2018 :
    There's no need to worry unless you have twrp installed. The system update should work normally if you have only bootloader unlocked.

Wopr likes this.
  5. Fhdshahzad
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2019