[How To] Update Latest OOS Stable/Beta with Stock Or Custom Recovery without Data Loss !!

1. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

TheIconoclast , Jan 8, 2017 :
    @Funk Wizard
    After flashing the provided TWRP version from my old TWRP 3.0.3.0, I cannot decrypt my storage to access internal and flash 4.0.1. I followed the steps on your unlock guide, and changed my password when on 3.5.4, and again after flashing the provided TWRP. Should I simply use ADB to format user data? Fastboot format userdata? Is that the command?

2. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Jan 8, 2017

Funk Wizard , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Fastboot format userdata and format the data partition to f2fs to stay decrypted

3. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

@Funk Wizard
    Sorry about yet another question, but how do I format userdata to f2fs? Do you mean from within TWRP? How? If not, what's the exact adb command?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

4. teong14
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

5. Funk Wizard

Yes that's done within twrp
    • Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” (If you want to mount internal storage).
    The device would itself format data to f2fs or you can also manually go to change or repair file system within twrp and format

TheIconoclast likes this.
  6. dobridin
    Eclair Jan 8, 2017

dobridin , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Can I update to 4.0.1 coming from 3.5.3 or I should also update to 3.5.4 and 4.0 . And which one should I use - the 4.0.1 OTA or Full Zip. Unrooted OP3T

7. acoon
    Donut Jan 8, 2017

acoon , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Me love you long time :)

8. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

@Funk Wizard
    I've had a plethora of issues, but i can't get into them at this time... To avoid a headache, how can i return to stock? Unlocked bootloader but unrooted and with stock recovery? wipe system, data, cache and Dalvik, Flash 3.5.4 full, and flash stock recovery? I've restored a nandroid backup from 3.5.4, rooted, and it's fully functioning, along with twrp 3.0.3.0.

9. Funk Wizard

Yes u can update from 3.5.3 Directly to 4.0.1, just use the full zip, download and flash it using stock recovery.

Thanks for your support, appreciate it!!

If you wish to return to stock just sideload the full zip via stock recovery and lock the bootloader there on.

What issue are you facing if i may ask?

10. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2017

Praty_28 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    @Funk Wizard can you please tell me whether i can flash this over open beta 1? I have root and twrp but when i tried flashing via my old twrp 3.0.2.0 i flashed full rom but when i tried to boot it said no os installed any help appreciated... I actually dint know that a new twrp is required to flash this rom... But i couldn't even restore my backup from 3.0.2 it got stuck at wiping system but luckily a hard reboot somehow got me into open beta 1 rom... So im a bit worried flashing the new twrp...

11. danyboy1234
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2017

danyboy1234 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Need help.. Am from India, yesterday received my op 3T ... default oos is 3.5.3 how to install direct stock 4.0.1 ... please any one provide full 4.0.1 zip and tell tge flashing method... please

12. BK22
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

BK22 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Same here, my pin is not accepted. What do I have to do now?
    I cannot restore my nandroid backup either.

13. dobridin
    Eclair Jan 8, 2017

dobridin , Jan 8, 2017 :
    @Funk Wizard is the procedure the same as described in first post: copy the file in the storage of the phone, Settings-> select update file, update now and everything will happen automatically? And thanks for the files!

14. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2017

Praty_28 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Ok so i updated successfully from OB 1 thanks to the new twrp 3.0.3-beta1.....everything is working pretty smooth and thanks for the thread really helpful wouldn't have known abt new twrp without your thread.... Thank you again @Funk Wizard

Funk Wizard likes this.
  15. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2017

Praty_28 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    @Funk Wizard can you tell us how did you get center clock in statusbar on android N. I really want that feature but as xposed for N is not realeased I'm curious about how u did it without xposed... Sorry for going offtopic but i really want to know... Thanks in advance!

16. BK22
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

BK22 , Jan 8, 2017 :
    I wiped data and now my complete internal storage is lost?!
    I thought wiping data only wipes apps & its data? Any way to revert?

Please help

17. G_Andrei_Iancu_YadH
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

18. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

@Funk Wizard
    Right, so first flash stock recovery (through adb?), then side load full zip, okay, thank you. Is it safe to re-encrypt afterwords? No problem with keeping the bootloader unlocked, right? I prefer to do so just in case it's ever necessary. The issues were that after being decrypted (I checked the settings), the recovery went back to stating I needed to decrypt user data. I did, and mounted USB to get the files back on internal, I then followed this guide again, step by step, only without installing the recovery as it was already present. After installing both 4.0.1 and SuperSU, I rebooted, and was stuck in the boot animation for more than 15 minutes, I tried to enter recovery, but it was unavailable, so I went to fastboot mode and booted my TWRP 3.0.3.0 file through adb, wiped my system, data, cache and Dalvik, and pushed and restored my nandroid backup from rooted 3.5.4.

19. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

I have absolutely no idea. What I ended up doing was wiping user data through TWRP, twice, getting the same pop-up even though I was decrypted, giving up, booting 3.0.3.0 through adb (adb boot recovery recovery.img), pushing my nandroid file, wiping system, data (not user data), cache and Dalvik, and restoring my nandroid file.

20. SachinTS
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2017

SachinTS , Jan 8, 2017 :
    please reply m
    please reply me i updated my OP3T to OOS4.0 through install from internal storage instead of adb sideload is there any problem to do this