[How To] Update Latest OOS Stable/Beta with Stock Or Custom Recovery without Data Loss !!

1. SachinTS
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2017

SachinTS , Jan 8, 2017 :
    after the update i feel battery drains tittle faster any one feels the same issue

2. Bartnl
    Lollipop Jan 8, 2017

Bartnl , Jan 8, 2017 :
    You can't tell yet as the battery needs to settle down again after an update. This can tale a couple of days.

3. Bartnl
    Lollipop Jan 8, 2017

Bartnl , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Works perfectly. Thanks again buddy!
    The only thing I am facing now (which I hadn't on rooted OOS4.0) is that I am getting this nagging screen at start up that DM-verification might not work.
    Flashed the No Verify zip but still getting this screen.

Funk Wizard likes this.
  4. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Jan 8, 2017

Funk Wizard , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Yes dirty flash should work fine however i recommend a clean flash if you wish to use it for long term. If you are just hopping roms, dirty flash is fine.

Already answered on XDA, follow the unrooted method or just wait for ota and ota up to 4.0.1

If you boot to Android on OOS4 and change your encryption (boot up) password, you will be able to decrypt on TWRP 3.0.3-1-beta1.

Yes same procedure, just follow the OP

Welcome buddy, thanks for your support

I edited the my settings.apk and framework.apk but its experimental so didnt share that.

i am afraid if you wipe data via twrp unless you have a previous nandroid, you would not be able to restore.

Please describe your present state of the device and what you wish to achieve.

No you can do that again to update to 4.0.1

Praty_28 likes this.
  5. Funk Wizard

Exactly, just let a few days for the kernel and rom to settle down, custom kernels would be out soon :D

Well it would only work if you are decrypted, if not you can take backup and flash the full rom via sideload from stock recovery and it would remove the verity error, later you can flash the TWRP back again.

Praty_28 and Bartnl like this.
  6. Bartnl
    Lollipop Jan 8, 2017

Bartnl , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Trying it at this very moment..... first attempt failed.... failed to read command at 45%. See if the re-download 4.0.1 will get me further.

7. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

TheIconoclast , Jan 8, 2017 :
    My device is unlocked, unencrypted, with TWRP, and rooted. I wish to remain unlocked, but be on full stock in every other way (stock recovery, unrooted, OTA ready, encrypted). Thank you

8. Bartnl
    Lollipop Jan 8, 2017

Bartnl , Jan 8, 2017 :
    It worked! Got rid of that nagging screen.
    Never used ADB before as I didn't get that to work... case of wrong driver.....:rolleyes:...
    Tnx again man!

Funk Wizard likes this.
  9. Funk Wizard

Just flash the stock recovery and flash the full zip via it, the rom would force encrypt when you boot into OS and you would be on stock OS and stock recovery, OTA ready for future.

Welcome buddy, glad it worked for you ;)

Praty_28 likes this.
  10. ravi.the1
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

11. ZephyrITA
    Froyo Jan 8, 2017

ZephyrITA , Jan 8, 2017 :
    What about OnePlus 3? Can you make a guide also for OP3 users? :)

dobridin likes this.
  12. TheIconoclast
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2017

TheIconoclast , Jan 8, 2017 :
    @Funk Wizard

Well, i flashed stock recovery through adb as you instructed (6.0 recovery that you provide as I'm still running marshmallow), however, my laptop doesn't recognize my phone while it's in recovery mode, so i can't ADB sideload. My laptop is running arch Linux, ADB is fully functional when in bootloader mode, but it doesn't detect my phone while it's in recovery mode.
    EDIT: I temporarily booted twrp with ADB to flash 3.5.4 on top of my rooted 3.5.4 since stock recovery wasn't detecting internal storage. i booted up, no problems with verity, rebooted into stock recovery and wiped everything, (system data, userdata, cache, data) afterward, recovery recognized internal storage, so that problem is fixed. My computer still doesn't reconize my 3t when it's in recovery mode, so i cant sideload an ota. I used a vpn to download the 4.0 ota through system updates in settings, but the installation failed even the second time around when it used the full zip, so i placed the 3.5.4 full zip in internal, went to stock recovery, and tried to flash that to fix the ota issue, but again, it failed... What can i do to fix the ota process and get my computer to recognize my phone while it's in recovery? Is there something i can flash with fastboot, a full system image? I come from the nexus lineup...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

13. dobridin
    Eclair Jan 8, 2017

dobridin , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Thanks for the thread. This is what makes this phone great - the community and the help you get first hand! Never seen such a quick response so far! Bow!

14. acoon
    Donut Jan 8, 2017

acoon , Jan 8, 2017 :
    Bit of a problem here. Followed the guide and updated twrp and booted into it.
    Now it wont decrypt/accept pattern. I can't boot to OOS4 as you suggest, since i cant decrypt the partition.

I've replaced it with twrp 3.0.3-0 and can now boot the phone, but is it safe to put OOS4 on with that twrp version?

Any advice?

Br,
    Thomas

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

15. CHN_Pierre
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2017

16. doc_sharath
    Froyo Jan 9, 2017

doc_sharath , Jan 9, 2017 :
    can the 4.0.1 fullrom.zip be used to flash directly via TWRP after wiping system data cache? or should I be on oss4.0?

17. doc_sharath
    Froyo Jan 9, 2017

what do you mean by clean install here? wiping system,data,cache or just reset data?

18. 0bey
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2017

0bey , Jan 9, 2017 :
    I have root and twrp but when i tried flashing via my old twrp 3.0.2.0 i flashed full rom but when i tried to boot it said no os installed.

Ok i need 3.0.3-1 beta TWRP, i upgrade it with recovery but i can only stay in read mode , my pattern don't work.. Any solution ?

acoon likes this.
  19. doc_sharath
    Froyo Jan 9, 2017

same problem here,even with3.0.3

20. 0bey
    Cupcake Jan 9, 2017

0bey , Jan 9, 2017 :
    Maybe you can try with "fastboot update xxxxx.zip" i can't use fastboot for moment :/