How to upgrade/ update OS, avoiding problems...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 23, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Hello all,

Often, this and other forums are flooded with various problems like phone heating, battery drainage, lags, etc. after an OS upgrade/ update.

Instead of troubleshooting problems, it is many times much more easier and much more effective to give the device a fresh start. A problem in the OS (or update) is a problem with everyone. So if only some people are having problems, we can rule out a problem with the OS (or update) itself.

Some basic knowledge and a laptop/ PC with necessary drivers and a USB cable is all that is required to give the device a fresh start without any problems whatsoever. Instead of living with the problem, complaining, spending time on this Forum, Google, etc. following what follows here would help in having a great Android experience.

Here are the things needed:

Required Files/ Things

01. Universal ADB and Fastboot drivers - install it on your Windows laptop/ PC

02. Platform Tools zip - extract it

03. ‎Phone/ device drivers - install it on your laptop/ PC

04. ‎USB cable

05. ‎Your device

Procedure

01. ‎Download the full ROM zip and put it inside the Platform Tools folder.

02. Backup all your files and apps (WhatsApp, Viber, and other apps that provide inbuilt backup functionality; apps like Telegram, Hangouts, Skype, Facebook, etc do not need any backup because they are always online).

03. Enable Developer Options on your device.

04. ‎Enable USB Debugging.

05. ‎Connect your device to the laptop/ PC.

06. ‎Accept the RSA Fingerprint prompt on the device after "checking" always allow box.

07. ‎Open Platform Tools folder, shift + right click on an empty area and open Power Shell/ Command Prompt.

08. ‎Type "adb devices" (without quotes; this should list your device serial number in the laptop screen - if you see that, it means all the necessary drivers have been installed).

09. ‎Type "adb reboot recovery" (without quotes; this will boot your device to the recovery mode).

10. ‎Wipe everything on your device - Dalvik, Cache, System, Data, and Internal Storage (although it is not mandatory to wipe the internal storage partition; advisable in case of major OS upgrade).

11. ‎On the device, choose Install via ADB or ADB sideload (depending on your recovery).

12. ‎If prompted, wipe Dalvik and Cache again.

13. ‎On laptop, type "adb sideload ROM.zip" (without quotes; where ROM is the exact name of the ROM file on the Platform Tools folder) - wait for the ROM to be sideloaded (or flashed).*

14. ‎Once complete, wipe Dalvik and Cache again from recovery and reboot to system.

15. ‎Set it up and enjoy.

If anyone wants the links for drivers, let me know in comments.

a clean install will solve many of the common problems.

If you have an unlocked bootloader, then:

Install Official TWRP from here:

https://twrp.me/Devices/

or install Bluespark TWRP from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=15934#downloads

backup all your files and apps.
    factory reset
    enable usb debugging under developer options
    check if ADB commands are working
    boot to recovery
    wipe ALL partitions
    copy the ROM zip to usb OTG
    install from usb via recovery

The above process might sound intimidating for those who haven't done this before. But they are actually very simple and very fast and easy. Will save a lot of time, heartburn and complaints going forward.

After successfully upgrading, you can refer here for using Android 8 (Oreo) features. Thanks to @Cosmos_NT.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018

2. durgraj17
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2017

3. santosh.mngt
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2017

4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2017

MikeG247 likes this.
  5. __Insidious__
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2017

__Insidious__ , Nov 26, 2017 :
    i am currently having battery issue. phone Standby is consuming too much power, this only happen when i am on Cellular data. my battery SOT is kess than 2 hours.

i am thinking of installing OS again.
    will the method work good if i install the firmware via Bluespark twrp?

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Nov 26, 2017 :
    a clean install will solve many of the common problems.

as with the Stable Oreo update, you will have to install using TWRP or Oxygen Recovery, because ADB sideload is giving a "can't read" error.

Install Bluespark TWRP from here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/?id=15934#downloads

backup all your files and apps.
    factory reset
    enable usb debugging under developer options
    check if ADB commands are working
    boot to recovery
    wipe ALL partitions
    copy the ROM zip to usb OTG
    install from usb via recovery

7. Themurtuza
    Jelly Bean Nov 26, 2017

8. __Insidious__
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2017

i did all the steps. installed new Oreo via twrp bluespark.
    but i lost my custom recovery twrp and got booted into OP Stock recovery.
    do i need to flash the recovery again? if i do so will i lose my datas?

9. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Nov 26, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Nov 26, 2017 :
    that is normal. yes flash TWRP again. it won't cause any data loss.

10. __Insidious__
    Gingerbread Nov 26, 2017

ok. thank you.

11. Daniel0041
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2018

Daniel0041 , Feb 14, 2018 :
    Hi Sridhar,

The steps seem very straightforward, could you please confirm if I wanted to downgrade from Oreo to Nougat, the same steps can be applied?

There are a great number of featured which I used daily removed in the Oreo update

Thank you, in advance for your response.

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Feb 14, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Feb 14, 2018 :
    Hello Daniel,

yes, these steps can be followed for installing any ROM, including downgrading to an earlier version.

on a side note, what features do you have on Nougat that is not available on Oreo?

13. Imtiaz Ahmed Shazib
    Eclair Mar 7, 2018

Imtiaz Ahmed Shazib , Mar 7, 2018 :
    Hi Sridhar, I am new in all these stuff you said. But do i need to root my device to follow those procedure you said or should i just follow your instruction?

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 7, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 7, 2018 :
    Hello Imtiaz, you don't need root to perform any of the steps mentioned. only for point 10 which involves wiping all partitions, you will need a custom recovery like TWRP, which in turn requires an unlocked bootloader.

if you haven't unlocked your bootloader, you won't be able to clean wipe your partitions. in that case, factory reset (erase everything) your phone after backing up all your files and apps. you can then perform all the other steps as mentioned (except wiping partitions from recovery which stock recovery won't permit).

Imtiaz Ahmed Shazib likes this.
  15. the98kid
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 11, 2018

the98kid , Mar 11, 2018 :
    hey sridhar, I'm trying to flash fresh nougat rom with your steps but I'm unable to flash it as it gets failed at 50% it says installation failed . what should I do now!? please help!!

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 11, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Mar 11, 2018 :
    downgrading from Oreo to Nougat requires you to flash a firmware before flashing the ROM. there is already a thread with the link in the forum. I will share it with you shortly.

17. the98kid
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 11, 2018

18. Imtiaz Ahmed Shazib
    Eclair Mar 11, 2018

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 11, 2018

Imtiaz Ahmed Shazib likes this.
  20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Mar 11, 2018