How Would you react if we had proof We are not alone in the universe?

?

how would you react to a first contact situation

1. Kill Dem ALLLL!!!

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. we come in peace..

74 vote(s)
    82.2%
  1. vmk2310
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

2. IWantOneNow
    KitKat Aug 28, 2014

3. apriarolo
    Eclair Aug 28, 2014

4. Mihail_Ko
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

Mihail_Ko , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Yeah, but if they travel so far, they must have some agenda! Right?

5. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

6. fimbultyr
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

fimbultyr , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Let's just hope it's peaceful exploration.

7. Mihail_Ko
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

Mihail_Ko , Aug 28, 2014 :
    When any exploration end up peaceful?
    Remember Australia American, hell we even haven't explored the north pool properly and already destroyed it!

8. Fetterfly
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

9. fimbultyr
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

fimbultyr , Aug 28, 2014 :
    But we are humans. Another species may not behave like us.

10. Deletive
    Cupcake Aug 28, 2014

11. alextappin
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

alextappin , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Attack and capture if they are less advanced. Come in peace if they are more advanced lol

12. PLPeeters
    KitKat Aug 28, 2014

PLPeeters , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Me, I don't know, but for the USA it will depend on whether they have oil or not :D

mansoor_ likes this.
  13. mansoor_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2014

14. rhosman
    Froyo Aug 29, 2014

rhosman , Aug 29, 2014 :
    I always figured the universe is so large, there is no way we are alone.

ultimusrex likes this.
  15. ultimusrex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2014

ultimusrex , Sep 5, 2014 :
    IF we had proof?... we pretty much have statistical proof already.

Just look up in the night sky. There are trillions upon trillions of stars out there in the universe, something like 200 billion just in our own galaxy. Evidence keeps mounting that nearly every star has multiple planets in orbit. The Kepler Space Telescope has found hundreds of extrasolar worlds that seem to be orbiting their stars in the supposed "Goldilocks Zone" of their parent stars, and that's surveyed from a very tiny portion of the sky... Just in our star system, even beyond that zone, there may very well be life on Europa, other satellites of Saturn and Jupiter, and there may have been life at one point on Mars!...

If you ask me, there can't possibly NOT be life elsewhere in the universe.

The question then becomes: how common is intelligent life? And how far along may other "civilizations" be in their development compared to us? Are we the babies of the galaxy? Or the big kids on the block? Or is intelligence and technology an incredibly rare evolution?... Considering the percentage of the like 3 or 4 more highly intelligent hominid species that have evolved (all but one going extinct), out of the hundreds of thousands (if not hundreds of millions) of species that have evolved here on earth, I think it's safe to say that intelligence is relatively rare. However, it may be an inevitable evolution of all life, if given enough time. Who knows?

And then there is the vast, immensely huge distances between stars; even larger distances between stars with habitable planets; and probably unimaginably large distances between stars with habitable planets that are supporting intelligent life... THEN there's the difference of potentially hundreds of millions of years in technological development between us and any other more- or less-advanced civilizations... Unfortunately, for how plentiful life certainly has to be in the universe, it may be a tiny sliver of a chance that we will actually cross paths with any alien civilizations. And by "cross paths", I mean simply communicate... There may very well be a way to travel much faster than the speed of light, be it via wormholes or some sort of space-time warping technology that is hundreds or thousands of years beyond our grasp yet. But for now, it seems that the speed of light is still the galactic speed limit, so actually traveling to another star and planet seems highly unlikely to me, as does the idea of any alien species ever actually visiting us in person.

Personally, I imagine first contact coming in the form of us or them catching a glimpse of intelligent radio signals and replying with an message of greetings... then hundreds, or likely thousands of years later receiving a response and continuing in that fashion, back and forth with great swaths of time encompassing many generations passing between response communications. It's not a terribly sexy version of alien contact and communication, but it's the most realistic, if you ask me... maybe eventually, we could figure out a method of quantum communication, for instant communication across infinite distances, but that's a very distant, hopeful dream that may never actually be possible.

If this sort of contact happens, I think I'll be ecstatic about it for a short time until it becomes the mundane reality, that we all secretly knew was inevitable, that we are not alone in the universe. Then I imagine my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren will experience the same ecstatic excitement when the next communication arrives, and so on.

If we are ever actually visited in person by aliens, my first response will probably be one of shock and disbelief that it could even be possible (because of everything I explained above)... But it would quickly turn into fascination, excitement and curiosity. And I would always "come in peace"!

greendragon likes this.
  16. gatenosix
    KitKat Sep 5, 2014

gatenosix , Sep 5, 2014 :
    I'd be like "yo mothafukas, dis our galaxy". 'N then they be liek "awwwww! say wwwwwwaaaat!"

17. greendragon

greendragon , Sep 5, 2014 :
    We wouldn't have a say. The boys in charge would lock em up and start testing. Pity any poor sod who decides earth is worth visiting.

18. 4thWALL
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2014

19. TJ COMBO
    Jelly Bean Sep 5, 2014

TJ COMBO , Sep 5, 2014 :
    We are Aliens, this planet was home to real earth creatures in the past.

greendragon likes this.
  20. ultimusrex

ultimusrex , Sep 5, 2014 :
    OMG yes... I both love and HATE that show!

That guy has no clue... In the past few decades, there's been quite a bit of evidence that suggests many of the ancient civilizations in the history of our planet may have been far more technologically advanced than we ever imagined possible. Not like how we are now, with electricity and computer technology, but they may have been far more ingenious and mechanical than we give them credit for, and much of that technology may be lost forever.

IWantOneNow likes this.