[Howto] Advice on how to set up your new phone.

1. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Mr. BG, Nov 20, 2015 :
    The last thing you want is to get into trouble when setting up your brand new phone. It's not funny when it ends up acting weird, things are just not working properly, or worse, it gets into a loop or leaves you with a very unresponsive "bricked" phone.

Now, ofcourse it is possible something is wrong with the phone, that would leave you with no other choice than contacting Customer support. But in general that is not the case, it often is a chain of software interacting and not working properly.

Smartphones are Basically small computers. I have build, setup and fixed hundreds if not thousands of PC's and I can honestly say 95% of the problems are software related. You can avoid many problems by setting up your phone carefully, step by step.

This setup system is based on the thought of minimising the variables, so if something goes wrong it is easier to backtrack what caused you problems. Start from scratch and change things step by step, if something goes wrong it is easy to analyse what causes the problem and you can simply take it one step back and go from there.

A careful setup can make or break your phone experience

There are many ways, here is mine. I never had a single problem I could not resolve easily setting up any phone with this method that is easy and gets me a rock solid phone every time.

Setting up your new phone
    1. Don't update, not even the OTA system updates
    2. Don't put in your SIM yet, leave it for now...
    3. Start with the setup procedure, but: Skip as many account setup things as you can (I prefer to do that later by hand, it turns out that way I get less problems)
    4. After the initial setup go to the settings area, start with activating wifi and after that setting up your Google account ONLY for now!
    5. Do NOT install any new apps, but have all apps that are standard on the phone update in your Google Play account.
    6. After You did that it may be necessary to shut down the phone and charge it fully.
    7. After it charged fully play with the current apps. Try them all, setup everything Google has. Test for stability.
    8. If all goes well with the new phone shut it down and put in your SIM card. update your phone settings accordingly.
    9. See if all works stable, check call quality, texting etc.
    10. After all that install your favourite apps ONE AT THE TIME and test drive them before installing the next.
    11. If one of the apps screws up your phone you'll know exactly which app it is. Use Google for troubleshooting
    12. Avoid (or disable) apps like Facebook (and FB Messenger), Instagram etc. those are in general battery and memory hogs. Also avoid apps that offer little to nothing over the browser version, like for example Twitter (thank you @sfomin for the addition)
    Installing updates.

Before updating I recommend you wipe system cache.
    1. make sure you have all relevant data backed up
    2. Remove redundant apps that can disturb parts
    3. I strongly recommend disabling Launcher apps!
    4. In other words: get as close to stock settings as you can.
    5. Power down your phone
    6. Press Vol. Down and power button until phone starts.
    7. In the menu choose "Wipe system cache"
    8. Don't be silly by accidentally wiping data
    9. Reboot, make sure your battery is (near) full
    10. Go to Settings -> About the phone -> System update
    11. Run the update, leave the phone alone, even if it seems dead for a whil.

Rooting and flashing

(Courtesy of The French connection ;))

"May I suggest to the flashaholics around to:"
    • not root your phone the very first day
    • do not unlock bootloader and install TWRP the very first day.
    "I found it very convenient *not* to do that, because of the numerous OTAs coming in the next weeks. As you can read here and there, root and custom recoveries are somehow annoying on this subject"

Battery advice

Modern batteries don't like full discharging, it can actually damage or even kill it. Same goes for continuous charging, although your Oneplus X has a protection mechanism for that. In general, just keep the electrons flowing, and keep the charge between 15-95%.

Here are some great battery saving tips as well

Cheers...

Edit: Added info...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

Farqui, phr0zen, Sneakeyy and 70 others like this.
  2. Max.Mar Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2015

Max.Mar, Nov 20, 2015 :
    safest way to setup your phone..but time consuming. IN todays world people don't evn have time to duck properly then how do you suppose them to do it all..

3. Chika Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2015

Chika, Nov 20, 2015 :
    WOW! Well done @Mr. BG for your care. I strongly believe that so many issues will be resolved or many errors avoided if phones are being setup following these instructions.
    Thanks once again for your Support:D

Hrishie50, Sneakeyy, Andre GS and 9 others like this.
  4. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Mr. BG, Nov 20, 2015 :
    Let's see how much time it consumes after the setup went horribly wrong and you spend your days convincing Customer Care it's their fault and not yours the phone is f****d ;)

5. Max.Mar Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2015

Max.Mar, Nov 20, 2015 :
    True that. then u won't get time to duck also..lol :D:D:D

6. llldavey Lollipop Nov 20, 2015

7. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Mr. BG, Nov 20, 2015 :
    Hehehehe, like the way you think, but let's try and keep it on-topic :D

8. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

9. Max.Mar Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2015

10. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Ceasedd, Pradeep071097 and pa5t1s like this.
  11. CC Dude Honeycomb Nov 20, 2015

CC Dude, Nov 20, 2015 :
    I've had lots of phones during my lifetime. Whenever I get a new phone, I turn it on. The first question it asks is what language you wish to use. I tell it. Then the phone will guide you step by step for the set up. It's quite simple.

12. Max.Mar Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2015

eirigance, Ceasedd and Pradeep071097 like this.
  13. sfomin Nougat Nov 20, 2015

sfomin, Nov 20, 2015 :
    My additional steps:
    Disable thesee apps
    • Facebook
    • instagram
    • twitter
    • what ever other apps you dont use
    phone runs like a dream. Yes, even king TouchWiz...

phr0zen, Ceasedd, malidan and 7 others like this.
  14. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Mr. BG, Nov 20, 2015 :
    I absolutely agree there, FB and Messenger are battery and memory hogs.

Always be critical on what apps you need....

15. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

16. Guidoce Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2015

Guidoce, Nov 20, 2015 :
    Very safe procedure indeed! Thanks.

17. sfomin Nougat Nov 20, 2015

sfomin, Nov 20, 2015 :
    :) i will post more once i get out of food coma

18. Fstop Gingerbread Nov 20, 2015

Fstop, Nov 20, 2015 :
    Subscribed to Mr. BG's Setup for easy access & use when I receive my phone, thanks.
    How about setting up facebook, instagram, & twitter so that they are turned off when not in use, not allowing notification or wake up automatically, but on demand instead?

Mr. BG likes this.
  19. Mr. BG Marshmallow Nov 20, 2015

Mr. BG, Nov 20, 2015 :
    Those apps won't let you do that.

I would use the Mobile websites in the browser instead if I were you.

Pradeep071097 and sunilbagalur like this.
  20. Fstop Gingerbread Nov 20, 2015

Fstop, Nov 20, 2015 :
    I normally use Cheetah browser, what do u think of it? Do you mean browser vs. the stand alone apps.? I'm a senior new to all social media.

Mr. BG likes this.