Huge Applause! First round of IDEAS is out!

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Mar 27, 2020

Gary C. , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Hi everyone,

Back in early March, we launched the IDEAS event. I'm now thrilled to announce that the 1st round IDEAS is out. The OS product team managed to get lots of inspiration from them, as well as valuable insights.
    Let’s applause the creative users! Now check out their brilliant ideas:

1、Always On Display (AOD)

@Kar7hik:
    It's all about AOD the most most requested feature in OnePlus since OnePlus 6T launch. The lack of led in 6T and above in most of the scenario AOD helps a lot I just need to see my notification without touching phone.
    Give a option to turn it off who cares about battery life.
    Hopes to see AOD in future updates.

Reply:

[Adopted]
    Hi everyone, an update on this IDEA. We passed the initial AOD power consumption test and AOD is now on our roadmap! We are tuning the AOD solution to its best shape. Do keep an eye on our Community as we will keep everyone in the loop for further updates, including the release timeline. Thanks! Please find the original reply below:

Hello and thank you for bringing this request up, @Kar7hik.
    We anticipated this could be an idea mentioned even before we started this platform, so we do appreciate your participation. We are more than happy to share with you, and the community, our thoughts and the developments we’ve made so far.
    Basically, we see this request being about “never letting me miss any important notifications”. Besides the solutions based on sound and vibration, the Always on Display (AOD) should serve as one of the visual solutions (the solutions we have for now are Ambient Display and Horizon Light).
    Internally, we have started the evaluation and implementation of AOD quite some time ago. We prioritize the execution of this feature based on the research made about user habits.
    Taking the OnePlus 7 Pro as an example: according to the analytics of our product usage, on average, our users spend at least five hours on their smartphones per day and check their messages every fifteen minutes. In other words, it's unlikely that our users will miss essential notifications without noticing them almost instantly.
    After that, we ran some tests on the viability of this feature and found out that AOD could roughly consume about 350-500 mAh of the battery, which means you might get one or two hours deducted from your daily usage. Such a battery drainage issue will have a notorious impact on digital natives. This could lead to substandard performances, which makes us more careful about this decision.
    That said, we do understand that our users deserve a voice over the options they have on their own devices. So another round of more thorough evaluation has been conducted.
    It is not as simple as a toggle that can give you that choice, unfortunately, since many complicated factors are involved due to a direct implication with hardware (i.e., display, in-display fingerprint performance). We can only run the test device by device, which translates into a heavy workload.
    To reach a faster conclusion, we’re currently working on a test applied to the power consumption of the AOD in a device with a higher refresh rate display. If the test results meet our quality standards (≤ 150 mAh), we’ll consider placing it under OnePlus Laboratory.
    Please stay tuned as we will share the results of the tests with our Community next week and bring you more updates!

2、Edge notification lights

@bagufix:
    I'm an OnePlus 7 Pro user and this phone is missing a led notification but you have a nice opportunity to change it, please add the option to Horizon lights to flash for a specified amount of time

Small update:
    In my opinion AOD in OnePlus is unnecessary. OnePlus introduced Ambient Display and it should be developed and improved. This is what distinguishes you from other well-known companies. Buying OnePlus X (I've used this phone for over four years) I really liked the Ambient Display, after receiving the notification the screen pulsed for some time (and has a notification LED), so I think that the return to this solution and adding Horizon Lights to it would be brilliant and that's what I miss in OnePlus 7 Pro. Personally I don't use sound notifications and vibrations because I have a smartband (the smartband vibrates upon notification).
    How it should work based on the experience of Amient Display from OnePlus X:
    After receiving the notification, Horizon Lights and the application icon should appear on the screen. After a while, the screen should go out and after 10 seconds the process should repeat of course, after a few minutes (e.g. 10 minutes) the screen should not pulsate anymore, because any of us after a long time of not using it will simply take it to check fb, msg, e-mails etc. Of course if your phone is screen down or in your pocket Horizon Lights should not work.
    That's why I think you should consider my idea.

Reply:

[Under Consideration]
    Hello @bagufix, thanks for sharing this idea in our IDEAS platform.
    We have seen it often requested around the Community. Actually, this idea shares the same principle as the Always on Display (AOD) one. They are just two different forms/solutions.
    Since most of our explanation about the AOD idea can be applied to yours, please read our reply here. As with the idea linked in the last sentence, we’ll continue to monitor our testing and we’ll update you and the community about our conclusions.

3、Boosting the capabilities of the Alert slider!

@YRJ:
    The alert slider is one of the most celebrated hardware features on OnePlus phones. I use it extensively. Getting out of lectures or getting into meetings, a slide is all it takes.
    As much as I like this feature, it's disappointing that a h/w button has to live it's whole life only toggling sound profiles.
    Here's what all a hardware slider can do, except toggling sound profiles of course.

• Switching profiles
    The OnePlus 7T, when in my hand draws a lot of attention everytime I pull it out of the pocket, friends and relatives love to check it out. I immediately hand it over to people excited to check out the phone.
    More often than not, I find myself working on my phone and I don't necessarily want them to be bombarded with notifications from various apps, or incoming messages, so I have to switch profiles, which if you ask me very honestly, is a tedious process. If only I could use the slider to toggle between guest user and primary user, it would greatly support the idea of a burdenless and smooth software experience.

• Battery Profiles
    It's rare that my phone dips below 15% but I do get anxious when it dips below 49% as a result I immediately switch to power saving.
    Power saving can be divided into 3 parts,
    1. Power Saving Off : With this the phone works with maximum efficiency and gives the best performance
    2. Power Saver : In this mode the phone limits app functionality and background activity.
    3. Power Diet : For those rare but "dangerously low levels", power diet will allow only phones and messages to work. Think of it as a basic phone. Keeping the phone alive and functional, until you grab one of those red cables [​IMG]

Ofcourse, the possibilities are endless, hence why I would suggest the addition of alert slider in the customization section of the settings where one can unlock the complete potential of this great hardware button!

Never Settle!

Reply:

[Not Adopted]
    Hi YRJ, thank you for taking the time to share your idea with us, again.
    It's a nice idea to use the Alert Slider to switch among states that are not sound profiles. This idea can be useful if, for example, the users need to switch between something frequently.
    However, using a hardware slider also disables the ability that allows users to switch the states via the software User Interface (UI), or allowing our system to do the switch automatically on specific conditions (e.g. to switch battery saver by schedule).
    The slider may indicate the wrong state once it's changed by software, for example, and that's why not all types of states can be handled by a hardware slider.
    Even though it's not on our roadmap right now, we would love to explore more possibilities around the Alert Slider. Please keep the ideas coming!

4、OnePlus Dex

@Elo63:
    my idea is that you connect your Oneplus device to the computer and then with the appropriate software you get a kind of Oxygen Os as PC operating system. Like Samsung Dex.

Reply:

[Not Adopted]
    Hello Elo63, thank you for your idea.
    We will hold our opinion about Samsung's solution, but we do agree that a more seamless connection between smartphones and computers should be provided.
    We discussed it internally and we believe that, when our fans use a smartphone in tandem with a computer, they mainly focus on three things: file transfer, notifications, and controlling the phone via the PC. We need to have more insights about this idea, so once again we are requesting our Community’s feedback. To help us understand exactly how this idea could be beneficial, we ask every Community member that’s reading this to comment below their vision about it.
    We’ll keep monitoring this thread and we kindly ask you to please write your feedback in detail. That way you are helping us more efficiently. Thank you once again, Elo63, and everyone who’s going to take their time to think and write their feedback.

5、A Perfect Camera Implementation for the Google Camera Port

@tide1109
    In the forum are many threads about the 'bad' camera quality. A reason for the that is the camera software.
    Because of that many/some users use the port of Google Camera. I know that OnePlus can't directly support the modding because of the legal stuff.
    But OnePlus can open the door of the for developers that are modding the Google Camera. The way is to improve the Camera API.
    Google introduced the version 2 of the Camera API in Android a while ago. And the GCam uses this API.
    The good part is, that OnePlus already uses this API, but not all of the features are implemented in the way, that every app can use it.
    The problems are that the resolution of the pictures are limited. The RAW-Stream that is needed uses the Pixel-Binning Technology. So the resolution is limited to a fourth.
    This applies to the front camera of all OnePlus phones. So the resolution is limited to 4MP instead of the 16MP.
    The 48MP sensors are also affected. The Google Camera can only use 12MP of the 48MP.
    Besides that the wide-angle and the telephoto lens is also not useable, because of the missing implementation.
    The Camera2 API on the OnePlus 6 and newer is fine but not perfect. But the implementation on the OnePlus 5/T is really bad. A dotted pattern overlay on the photos is an example.
    In conclusion I hope that OnePlus will improve the API for happier OnePlus users.
    It would be nice, if you, OnePlus, would stay in contact with the Google Camera port developers for a smooth implementation. The GCam developers know what they need.
    Because OnePlus doesn't help on the modding itself, it's also not an legal problem.

Reply:

[Not Adopted]
    Hello tide1109, thank you for sharing your idea.
    According to our device usage statistics, currently less than 1.35% of the OnePlus 7 Series and OnePlus 7T Series owners are using the GCam every week. The API support for GCam will only benefit a minor amount of users.
    Considering GCam is not an official app released by Google, but a mod made by 3rd party developers, we can’t control how the developers change the mod and it will require us extra maintenance cost if any changes happen in the future.
    Instead, we will focus our resources on our own camera product. Only this way we can benefit most of our users in the long run.

We want to work hand-in-hand with you to perfect our product while always adhering to the Never Settle spirit. We empower each other, and that's what makes our Community unique.

This is the true meaning of Co-creation that we are seeking to achieve. Looking forwards to hear your voice in the IDEAS!

Never Settle!

2. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Mar 27, 2020

Maverick2.0 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Please give it to OnePlus 6 users too! Please.

rnautiyal, iammrkt, ron_R and 46 others like this.
  3. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Mar 27, 2020

camohan , Mar 27, 2020 :
    AOD is adopted, OMG this is huge, very huge. Thank you for considering it. A perfect example of co-creation with the community and at the same time taking care that the other things are not hampered.

ron_R, Y.Singh, Mike_Jiang and 39 others like this.
  4. Magnetic Nerd
    Jelly Bean Mar 27, 2020

Magnetic Nerd , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Great news about AOD! Now I just hope you don't make it exclusive to newer models

Have to agree on the other "IDEAS" not much use in a wider install base.

ron_R, Y.Singh, Bejan Lucian and 11 others like this.
  5. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 27, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    thank you for this update:)

and congrats to all :)

7. Batman360
    Lollipop Mar 27, 2020

Batman360 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    This is a very big news and thanks for such transparency Gary and congratulation to the winner, amazing idea.;)

8. Moin2200
    KitKat Mar 27, 2020

Moin2200 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Awesome to see AOD make the cut as I personally really like this idea ever since they removed the notification light.
    Well done!

9. __RAYZAR__
    Donut Mar 27, 2020

__RAYZAR__ , Mar 27, 2020 :
    It's sad that I literally gave 4 great ideas, neither are popular cuz they are now simply just too old for people to even notice them..

oryanol, Achman and FaradaySage like this.
  10. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 27, 2020

11. ankitgondalia
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 27, 2020

ankitgondalia , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Hi @Gary C. thankyou for considering AOD feature. One feature request I'd like to make is about the camera. We can't shoot RAW pictures using ultra wide angle and telephoto lens. It would be nice to enable us to shoot RAW on these two lenses along with main camera. Thankyou

12. xgnowak
    Eclair Mar 27, 2020

Yunusrg likes this.
  13. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Mar 27, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 27, 2020 :
    nice! I love how on top of this you guys are giving constant feedback! this is what should be (and is) happening between the community, even if not adopted it's awesome to see a fast response time on OnePlus's part communication is the key!

14. TheBlitz7
    Froyo Mar 27, 2020

TheBlitz7 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Good to read the replies on all of the IDEAS! I hope they improve the camera capabilities in the camera app!

P1582925856444 likes this.
  15. Bijay Prasad
    Eclair Mar 27, 2020

16. Liehjan
    Lollipop Mar 27, 2020

17. gouravgandhi7
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2020

gouravgandhi7 , Mar 27, 2020 :
    hello sir please improve the video quality. I am having one plus 7 , whenever i make a video it makes everything bright which dwindle the original quality .. for example i try to create videos in my gym .. it makes my veins not visible properly as it tries to beauty.plus everything .. i need to show more detailing in my videos

18. Vivek2368
    Froyo Mar 27, 2020

Vivek2368 , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Finally AOD I just switched from my galaxy A8+ to 7t I was missing it so much . Cheers to you guyzzzz.

thats why I switched back to OnePlus you people listen to your customers !!!

19. meatandy
    Oreo Mar 27, 2020

20. bagufix
    Gingerbread Mar 27, 2020