Oxygen OS or Hydrogen OS?

1. Oxygen OS

45.0%
  2. Hydrogen OS

55.0%
  1. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

kevinzold , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I recently received a oneplus two invite. I was fricking joyous when that happened. AN INVITE! FOR THE ONEPLUS TWO! OMG
    I went on the oneplus website and attempted to order one... only to find out that oneplus couldn't ship.
    "Oh yeah, I live in China"
    When I first received the oneplus one, I did buy it with an invite. I was in the US during that time.
    Now that I'm in China, oneplus effectively trolled me.
    "But I don't want hydrogen os!"
    The first thing I thought when I ordered the Chinese one plus two.
    On the day I received my oneplus two from the Chinese website, I got my ADB terminal ready to root, unlock bootloader and flash that thing into oxygen os.

Oh man, have I been wrong.

Hydrogen OS is for China, that's for sure. Some parts of the operating system aren't even properly translated into English!
    But comparing to oxygen os, hydrogen os is exciting. The colors pop, the icons are good enough to stare at for long periods of time and there are just many parts of the operating system that are just really forward thinking.
    Hell, even if they're extremely China orientated.

Take note oneplus, Hydrogen OS is what oxygen os should've been in the first place. It's fun, it's colorful and because of the homescreen, it's probably easier to use than IOS (I kid you not). Oxygen os, on the other hand, just seems like an AOSP reskin for a familiar operating system. Sure, familiar is good. But familiar isn't best. Hydrogen os, with it's forward thinking and all that stuff, is extremely pleasant to use and just really exciting to look at.

At least give us more US features for the Hydrogen os, come on.

For now, Hydrogen is what I'm going to settle for for the year to come until the oneplus 3.
    Consider giving this ROM a shot. You'll not be disappointed.
    What do you guys think?

2. IBuzZBasHI
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2015

Gaurav Rohilla likes this.
  3. johmss
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2015

johmss , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I have a considered thought about H2OS for OPO, but I'm a noon, so I'm afraid about bricking the fine and have to flash Gapps.

But it is cool and interesting. That is a proper Os.

Some questions: Camera, battery life, gestures, translation. How are those?

4. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

Translation? Nice. But not everywhere.
    Battery life? Strangely, a bit better than oxygen os for some reason.
    Gestures? Same.
    Camera? Same as well.

nathanluxford likes this.
  5. mopsert
    KitKat Oct 1, 2015

mopsert , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Thanks! That was what I have been looking for ever-since I received my OPT!

Actually I think it was OP's priority to cater to the Chinese market and they had no time and/or means to properly develop/test OxygenOS so it was either postpone world wide release or release with OxygenOS being buggy.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-priority.358335/

I will flash HydrogenOS as soon as I find the time and check it out!

6. mopsert
    KitKat Oct 1, 2015

mopsert , Oct 1, 2015 :
    And HydrogenOS has a Gallery App! ;)

ridinhoodz likes this.
  7. e.s.1998
    Froyo Oct 1, 2015

8. johmss
    Honeycomb Oct 1, 2015

johmss , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I'm thinking (too much) to have H2OS as my daily driver.

Edit: @kevinzold i forgot to ask. I love weather app, does it work wit other locations besides china?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

9. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

10. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

Don't forget to flash GAPPS!

11. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

Yep! Sadly the weather app is not fully translated. X(. But it's probably still the prettiest weather app you'll ever see. Ever. In the history of weather apps.

Saminy06 and johmss like this.
  12. jeftha
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

jeftha , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I've been using HydrogenOS on my OPT for a bit as well.

It seems to be more stable with a little better battery life, but keep in mind that it's lacking features some power users would like.
    HydrogenOS is good at what it does, but it's lacking some of the things I was used to.

One example are the quick toggles. You now have to swipe from the bottom like on iOS and you can't change them around. They're just there. There is also no advanced power menu for easy rebooting into recovery and bootloader.

Saminy06 likes this.
  13. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

I agree. There are parts of the OS that are way too elementary. Hopefully oneplus can add some more features.
    Still... too damn cool for me to flash back to oxygen os XD.

Saminy06, miv3180 and jeftha like this.
  14. jeftha
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

jeftha , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Yeah, same here. I also just found out that HydrogenOS actually knows if you have a custom back cover installed and it changes the theme of your phone accordingly.

I got themes for the bamboo and rosewood cover, but I can't seem to get rid of them when I put the default sandstone cover back on.

Saminy06 and mopsert like this.
  15. mopsert
    KitKat Oct 1, 2015

mopsert , Oct 1, 2015 :
    No worries! I have been reading on xda about how to install. Just didn't find the time (and courage) to flash it yet! ;)

16. mopsert
    KitKat Oct 1, 2015

mopsert , Oct 1, 2015 :
    Saw the pins on the back of the OPT what made me curious and lead me to getting more info about HydrogenOS! ;)

Wanna give them themes a try!

Also the Sandstone does not have the metal detectors to be recognized. I don't know, if it should return to standard, when nothing is recognized.

QuickMemo+_2015-09-05-11-57-24-1-2.jpg

jeftha likes this.
  17. IBuzZBasHI
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 1, 2015

IBuzZBasHI , Oct 1, 2015 :
    how about downloading another one? ^^

18. jeftha
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

jeftha , Oct 1, 2015 :
    I was hoping I could go back to default by putting the sandstone cover on, but that doesn't seem to work. The phone does vibrate upon installing it, but the theme doesn't change.

I don't know if that was a bug or if it was intended. As much as I like the wooden themes, I'd at least like having the option to revert to default.

mopsert likes this.
  19. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

Turn it off in the settings, turn them back on again if you'd like them back

jeftha and mopsert like this.
  20. kevinzold
    Gingerbread Oct 1, 2015

I don't even have the fingernails to peel the bamboo cover off of my oneplus two. Get's it's stuck there for life now lol