I am a BIG fan of the One+ One, at least I was until today...

1. T00Sp00kyFoU
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2014

T00Sp00kyFoU , Apr 18, 2014 :
    I think they are just referring to knowing more about the invite system which will be revealed on the 23rd along with the phone. Not buying it on the 23rd.

noor440 likes this.
  2. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2014

stevestevela , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Great point. I think many of us assumed this because of the HTC M8 announcement/launch. Would be torture to wait longer after the 23rd.

polluted likes this.
  3. nik_pa

nik_pa , Apr 18, 2014 :
    No, with the old system you could wait for it to be back in stock with the new system you have to wait to be invited to spend your money - and the invite may never come.

But I'm hopeful things will work out for all of us.

Davve95, stevestevela and polluted like this.
  4. Jose Alberto Suarez
    Eclair Apr 18, 2014

Jose Alberto Suarez , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Let's not over exagerate things here my friend. Do you think a company like OnePlus would shoot themselves in the foot by making such a "scheme" as you're implying? Don't forget that they're coming out with a very artistic piece of technology that I believe will truly revolutionize the global mobile phone market. I'm sure that if the whole OnePlus team was able to cause this huge BUZZ with this announcement, then they're more than capable of producing the best marketing strategy in the planet period! Be patient and NEVER SETTLE because they're watching!

5. Happy Monk

6. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2014

I like your optimism, Jose! One thing that bummed me out today is that the Guess The Photo thread was left going a month after the contest ended. No announcement of a winner, either. I hope that they are reading and paying attention...

h7deaux and Jose Alberto Suarez like this.
  7. nik_pa

nik_pa , Apr 18, 2014 :
    @Carl already stated in the original announcement thread that it may take months for the phone to be widely available without an invite and the invite system was thrown out with no details so it remains a real possibility that some who want to buy it won't be able to and will eventually move on to the next flagship that will have better specs if they reach the point where they can no longer wait.

On paper the specs and price point are very good but since no one has seen it we can't say it's artistic. I hope (and expect) that it will be a nice design and am optimistic that everyone will get one but at the end of the day as Carl has said repeatedly they are a start-up so it remains to be seen. They stand a good chance to shake things up, which is also why they engage in marketing like they do (including this invite thing) do keep attention on them which a small start-up may not otherwise get.

If "they" are watching and deem me unworthy of an invite because I expressed my opinion then so be it there are lots of options out there, maybe they won't be as artistic as the OPO but they also won't require a company to deem me worthy before I can buy it.

h7deaux, wilbarger, nebsif and 2 others like this.
  8. Jose Alberto Suarez
    Eclair Apr 18, 2014

Jose Alberto Suarez , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Good point!

9. ben_b55
    Cupcake Apr 18, 2014

ben_b55 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    I could see the potential for people to start selling invites. I plan on giving any I recieve, once I purchase it myself either to people on the forums or to a Twitter or Twitch follower I trust to use it for themselves.

10. Deactivated User
    Apr 18, 2014

wilbarger, gmanphx, noor440 and 2 others like this.
  11. noor440
    Froyo Apr 18, 2014

noor440 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Nope, just to get the device.

12. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2014

Totally agree. Especially since this isn't like Apple launching a new phone, where the marketing sizzle can sway a consumer. With a no-brand-equity company like OnePlus, only us hard-core phone people will buy anyway. For many of us, we're spec junkies. I know I want the new chipset, more RAM, bigger battery, etc.
    #justtakemymoney

13. noor440
    Froyo Apr 18, 2014

noor440 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    How exactly is it absurd?

14. polluted
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2014

polluted , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Nope. Marketing scheme.

15. Buck2121
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2014

Buck2121 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Look at the first sentence. He feels betrayed lol. Are you serious. He knows absolutely zero about the invites and he is posing as if it's the end of the world. OnePlus owes nothing to any of us. We owe OnePlus everything got creating such a beast of a phone.

zmanc7 likes this.
  16. polluted
    Gingerbread Apr 18, 2014

polluted , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Now *that* is an absurd post.

17. JavierGtz
    Cupcake Apr 18, 2014

JavierGtz , Apr 18, 2014 :
    I think the logistics team knows the complexity of the labor to ship thousands of packages over the world in the first minutes of the launch date. What I mean is, if they want to guarantee the availibity and secure shipping, we must see the advantages of this system. Another point is, if a traditional distribution method will increase the final cost, I definetly prefer this system. That's my personal opinion, i think this is a personalized method, and makes me feel that I'm getting the phone just from the factory, without that expensive marketing things that we paid in over all the phones in the current market.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

18. nik_pa

nik_pa , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Sorry but I disagree. We don't owe a company anything for creating a product to make a profit. It's that mentality that keeps Apple and Samsung et al going and lets them slide by with "new flagships" that are only marginally better than the last model. They count on brand loyal sheeple to buy whatever they put on sale.

If the OPO lives up to the hype it will be a great phone and solid contender but if availability is so limited that it's impossible to get many people (diehards excluded) will move on to the next killer device that they can buy when they want/need it and then where will that leave OP? Hype only gets you so far you need product to get the money flowing so the doors stay open.

Philistine and Deactivated User like this.
  19. joeg30
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2014

joeg30 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Everyone is blowing it out of proportion. The phone and the method of acquiring it haven't even been announced yet.

The reality is everyone has already made up their mind. You're either buying the phone or you're not. If you aren't, enjoy the oppo find 7a or nexus 5. They're great phones. If you decided to get the opo, don't get your panties in a bunch. One plus needs us to buy their phones in order for them as a business to exist. You will get your phone.

Kat W, zmanc7 and Buck2121 like this.
  20. Buck2121
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2014

Buck2121 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Well think what you want this thread is pointless. Bunch a big babies lol. Can't wait for my OnePlus One.