I am finally switching from my 5T over to the 7T! via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black

1. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2019

huxley1t , via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black , Nov 25, 2019 :
    Hello everyone, It’s Huxley here from the west side of the US. I just ordered the 7T to replace my 2 year-old 5T and I wanted to share with you my journey of how I made this decision.

A little background about myself. I am a Product / User Experience Designer, this translates to my enthusiasm for tech and new products. However, I am not someone who upgrades every single device to the newest because I just don't find the need to upgrade every year and develop the same emotional connection with newer products. Since my dad’s Nexus 5 (I know) was dying, I thought it was about time to pass along my 5T to him and get a new phone for me.

I had been eyeing on a few phones (Redmi K20 Pro Premium, Meizu 16s Pro, Oppo Reno Ace, Realme x2 Pro, OnePlus 7T Pro, and OnePlus 7 Pro to be exact) for months before I finally pull the trigger of getting the 7T. All of them are great phones, but I just don't find the emotional connection with them due to OS or design that I am not personally a fan of.

What won me over about the 7T was not only the new technology that wasn't available on my 5T, such as the 90Hz display or the Macro Mode camera, but the overall design of the 7T. Weirdly to say, I had a strong connection to the back design of the 7T. Unlike the 5T, the 7T is more recognizable compared to all the other phones above, which is a new experience that I never had with my 5T. Adding on to that, the non-curved screen with a teardrop selfie camera on the front also helped the transition from the 5T to the 7T.

Combining new technology such as the 90Hz display, macro mode, and new battery technology, with a fast and smooth OS, and a much more recognizable design, I thought it was time to say goodbye to the 5T and say hello to my brand new 7T.

Never Settle!
    真香!

2. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2019

3. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

huxley1t , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 28, 2019 :
    I have been using the phone for a day or so now, the experiences compare to the 5T improved dramatically.

1574902556144.jpg

Right off the bat, I noticed the improved refresh rate of that 90Hz display makes any animation fast and smooth. Comparing to the 5T side by side, the 5T feels so slow and laggy. Also I really, really, really like that improved Haptic vibration of the 7T. I can feel the vibration of every click that it generates, unlike the 5T where every vibration is mushy. I also noticed the experience is the speaker is also improved in the 7T, I am extremely happy that I finally got a stereo speaker on my phone now. I am not an audiophile here, but I can hear that the 7T has more separation of the sound stage between high mid and low. One thing that I also notice is the sound volume of the 7T comparing to the 5T, the 7T is much louder and clearer. This translates to much better video viewing and gaming experience. Circle back to the screen, one huge improving experience of the 7T is the brightness. I am that type of person that can't sleep without my phone, compares to the 5T which often blends me to death even with its lowest setting of brightness, the 7T offers a much much lower brightness level at night, which I found much more pleasing to my eyes.

1574902588097.jpg

There is also some attention to details that I notice within the system that the 7T offers. The first feature that new to me is "Raise to switch". This feature is extremely useful and helpful for me, I often have to manually switch calls to the earpiece when I am in my car (not driving of course). Another feature that is new to me is the undated notification sound "Meet". I don't know about you, but I found the old version of "Meet" in my 5T has a higher pitch, which resulting every time the phone ring (notification), I got shocked with this unpleasant weird vibe. The "Meet" on the 7T is much more pleasing and much more neutral, which is a big step up of experience to me.

1574902678651.jpg

Overall, the experience of the 7T is more mature compares to the 5T. Though not every phone is perfect, i believe that the 7T still has room to improve and greater features are yet to come. For now, the 7T continuing the legacy of my 5T, providing experiences that I could not be found in the 5T. I can't wait to discover more about my new 7T.

stevenliu12, sbanks, 7.solo and 8 others like this.
  4. ravisindhu
    Donut Nov 28, 2019

5. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

sprout155 and Kaito_kid like this.
  6. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 28, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 28, 2019 :
    @huxley1t thank you for sharing your journey going from the OnePlus 5T to the OnePlus 7T - it's great to read you're satisfied with your new device, even if there's room for improvement.

That photo you posted with the two devices really show how much OnePlus improved on the design department during these two years.

Congratulations on your new device and welcome to that famous 90Hz life. :D

7.solo, zer0se7en, hz19961005 and 5 others like this.
  7. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

another think I didn't mention is that the 5T look so much like the iPhone 7. I got asked many time by friend about that, thinking I am using a knock off iPhone [e]1f62d[/e][e]1f62d[/e] I don't have to worry about that anymore with the 7T[e]1f60d[/e]

8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 28, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 28, 2019 :
    Hehe, I think it was because of the camera bump :D

I also like the design on the OnePlus 7T - not sure why - and that blue is gorgeous. OnePlus did a good job this year. :p

Xtermy and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  9. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2019

yeah I initially hated and criticize for the design for 7T, but after looking all the phone launched in 2019, they all look so alike and bland, which the design of the 7t start grow on me and look so unique.

10. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 29, 2019

Xtermy likes this.
  11. Alex1681
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

Xtermy likes this.
  12. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

huxley1t , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Yeah I think it will be a wonderful, and it should be my last 4G phone and I will transition to 5G on my next phone.

Alex1681 and Xtermy like this.
  13. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 4, 2019

14. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

15. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

16. Bunnarith
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2019

Xtermy likes this.
  17. sabir.sayed
    Honeycomb Dec 4, 2019

Xtermy and Alex1681 like this.
  18. R1573929154284
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2019

R1573929154284 , Dec 4, 2019 :
    Thank you for your post, my op7t is my first onepluse phone switching from samsung note series, and i am enjoying it thank you onepluse team for you good work this year

hz19961005 likes this.
  19. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2019

huxley1t , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Dec 4, 2019 :
    yeah my 5T also working fine, and my dad will love the upgrade since its a larger phone and faster

Xtermy and sabir.sayed like this.
  20. SauravKumar_7t
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2019

Xtermy likes this.