Display I bought a second OnePlus 8 Pro - [Display Issues]

1. lhayati
    Donut Apr 23, 2020

lhayati , Apr 23, 2020 :
    As some of you may already know there are reports of various display issues on the new OnePlus 8 Pro. A phone that supposedly has an "A+" rated display.

I released a poll yesterday to try to gauge how widespread these issues were: Poll Here

I was shocked at the results as so far from almost 500 votes, over 50% of device owners are reporting that they are having display issues, so it's clear it's not just a few unlucky units.

I received my original device in a pop-up box directly from OnePlus UK. Because RMA's can take a long time (and i'm still waiting for OP support to reply to me based on my issue) I decided to order a second phone from Amazon UK to compare. It arrived this morning and the first thing I did was to check the manufacturing date and there's 9 days between them so it's safe to say they're not the same batch.

I immediately fired up some display tests and there it was the same issues that were present on my first unit... This Amazon unit was actually worse in some areas of the display and better in others. But it was clear that both the phone's have issues.

What does this mean?

It could be one of two things:

An issue with the quality of the display panels themselves or a manufacturing fault, which could be the case as in my case the two devices in my possession have similar issues but not identical.

Or if you're hopeful and because it's seemingly so widespread it could very well be a software bug or bad calibration that's causing these issues meaning it could be patched in the future.

Until we hear official word from OnePlus I'm personally not going to risk holding the devices past the return window, just to wait for a "fix" as it's possible they will reject RMA's based on this issue claiming it's a non-issue.

2. Jaques1979
    Froyo Apr 23, 2020

Jaques1979 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 23, 2020 :
    Having the same issue, sent screenshot etc to report the issue. A bit disappointed. My problem is do I wait for some repair or do I return the phone for a refund. I'm hoping it's a software issue.

Alessandrabosi and Thraxx like this.

Thraxx likes this.
  4. Jaques1979
    Froyo Apr 23, 2020

Jaques1979 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 23, 2020 :
    I'm really disappointed, waited so long for this phone.

5. G1586885868226 , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 23, 2020 :
    Yeah I was excited to get a flag ship phone to upgrade from my Xiaomi Mi 9T and give OnePlus a try, but unfortunately the display performance of my 8 Pro in low light was considerably worse than that of my mi 9T ☹️.

P1590880184625 likes this.
  6. SirDiabolik
    Froyo Apr 23, 2020

SirDiabolik , Apr 23, 2020 :
    wow ...is this serious? i mean i was about to order an 8 pro but now im done with the idea ....wireless charging out of stock since 4ever ....and these kind of issues are kinda bad for the price OP is asking ....

Thraxx and Alessandrabosi like this.
  7. Thraxx
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

cruzAD likes this.
  8. neil74
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

neil74 , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Out of interest other than loading up a dark screen what is the best way to test?

9. U1576500073406
    Froyo Apr 24, 2020

cruzAD and Alessandrabosi like this.
  10. Natsik
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

Natsik , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Omg i have it too and it's worse

https://imgur.com/a/dWWbA79

I must shot it with nigt mode it's normaly black/grey

But i think in real world you can't notice this. Because no app has 5% grey background.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020

Thraxx likes this.
  11. Alessandrabosi
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

Alessandrabosi , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I'm in the same boat..... the phone has caused more questions and frustration than good thoughts and enjoyment of having a brand new phone.

G_sneha_lohia_HJcE and Thraxx like this.
  12. Alessandrabosi
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

My phone was manufactured (I think) on the 31.03.2020. what do you think the date difference means or where do you think the discrepancy comes in on all of these issues?

13. Alessandrabosi
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

I dont know what do to.... im actually torn

14. Thraxx
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

Thraxx , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I just talked to support that said they're aware of the issues and sending out an update but I'm not sure when, in the mean time turning on DC dimming almost eliminates the issue.

Alessandrabosi likes this.
  15. U1576500073406
    Froyo Apr 24, 2020

16. lhayati
    Donut Apr 24, 2020

lhayati , Apr 24, 2020 :
    5% grey is the worst case, but a lot of apps especially in dark theme do look noticeably bad under normal use conditions. For example the speedtest.net app looks awful, almost as bad as the 5% image.

17. Jaques1979
    Froyo Apr 24, 2020

Jaques1979 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Received the same reply from OP. Also with DC Dimming on the screen is perfect.

Thraxx likes this.
  18. thegr812k
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2020

thegr812k , Apr 24, 2020 :
    I cn create a new thread , but can someone help - i am getting screen heating issues:

Ive had my device < 12 hours and ive run into this issue twice already.

The OS warns that the device is overheating and throttles down brightness etc, you can clearly feel the screen and the back both piping hot.

First time was when i was installing all of my apps, i gave it a pass and thought perhaps it was hard work for the CPU , however it has occured again today when i was on a video call and went outside in the sun for 5 minutes, yes just 5 minutes.

For reference, i am using 120hz and QHD+ with auto brightness.

Is anybody else experiencing similar or do i have defective device?

19. WhateverSuitsU
    Froyo Apr 24, 2020

WhateverSuitsU , Apr 24, 2020 :
    There's already a thread for this issue: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/8-pro-over-heating.1217390/

20. Natsik
    Eclair Apr 24, 2020

Natsik , Apr 24, 2020 :
    Wtf... i send it to support the problem with display and they send me this...

I understand your concern regarding this issue, in this case, to isolate the issue we suggest to perform the hard reset as it is software restore of an electronic device to its original system state by erasing all of the information stored on the device in an attempt to restore the device’s software to its original manufacturer settings.
    Doing so will effectively erase all of the data, settings, and applications that were previously on the device. Hence the hard reset is necessary which may resolve the issue, I hope you understand.
    Before performing the hard reset please do take the backup of the important data
    Hard reset- Power off your device.
    Press the power key + volume down for a few seconds.
    Select language Look for Wipe data and cache > Erase everything

Wau isn't this answer for everything... I just got the phone and they me a must hard reset the phone to factory settings... And other say they investigate in this isue... and this support say hard reset can fix it...