Display I bought a second OnePlus 8 Pro - [Display Issues]

1. KASHISH_PURI
    Donut Jun 29, 2020

KASHISH_PURI , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 29, 2020 :

D1586857466351

According to you It is Google material desig. Then this the pic of Lock screen and black bar is clearly visible. Anything to say ?
    View attachment 1347451

Hey,

I believe that's Notch design - grey horizontal line. If you have used any other oneplus device maybe 6T or 7T it has water notch design!!!
    Even if you put either device screen brightness at 0% you will see very same horizontal bar at top.
    Once you disable the notch under settings that bar vanished. Try it with your device and share your thoughts!!!

2. adityasabran
    Donut Jun 29, 2020

adityasabran , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 29, 2020 :
    same issue here. color seem to fluctuate while comments are loading.
    Also on call screem(violet one) color seem to change

T1592204547552 likes this.
  3. Sreeraj@1995
    Froyo Jun 29, 2020

4. sky_shot
    Eclair Jun 29, 2020

sky_shot , Jun 29, 2020 :
    Hey everyone!
    Its with great disappointment to say that I have found a way to test if your Oneplus 8 Pro diplay has issues at low brightness. I was successfully able to replicate it multiple times on my device. Let me know if you are facing the same issue, and what you plan to do if your phone is defective. Oneplus said they would release a firmware update to fix it by june end. But its already 29th June.

If Oneplus solves this issues through software just like how samsung fixed green tint on the s20 ultra, it would be great. But until then, I'm worried to be honest. On Reddit people claim its a hardware issue arising from the PWM controller. I have no idea what I should do.

To check on your OnePlus 8 Pro:
    [Use a Display Tester]
    1. Set background colour to White
    2. Toggle the invert colors option
    3. Set brightness to 100%
    You should see a Black image like on any oled display. If you see a green tint, black bar next to your front punch hole camera or any issues... Let me know what are you going to do? cause I've lost hope :/
    If my testing method is flawed, I apologize.

Here's my video. Sorry for shooting in portrait in low resolution. It was the only camera had at the moment. DC Dimming is turned off in the video. [With dc dimming on, black crush is very visible. This is a known issue.]

h_kashyap and ghrer like this.
  5. KASHISH_PURI
    Donut Jun 30, 2020

KASHISH_PURI , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 30, 2020 :
    Right!!!
    I too checked when the phone is placed in landscape the bar disappears!!!
    By the way r u able to see a black bar horizontally??

6. rachit_asia , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 30, 2020 :
    No no. Even the vertical one is minor and barely noticeable by eyes. When we click the photo only then it is visible...

7. KASHISH_PURI
    Donut Jun 30, 2020

KASHISH_PURI , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 30, 2020 :
    By naked eyes it's hard to figure out. One needs to really go in a dark room and then lower the brightness to zero.
    only then u will be able to see that bar.

8. rachit_asia , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 30, 2020 :
    Even by doing that it was hardly visible, at least in my handset...
    I am eagerly waiting for the next update where they enable the color filter camera...

E1593533286194 likes this.
  9. U1576500073406
    Froyo Jul 1, 2020

U1576500073406 , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Its pure black in OnePlus 7t

sky_shot likes this.
  10. shubham6321
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2020

shubham6321 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 1, 2020 :
    I believe you are right, because I've downloaded a few testing (Screen/display) testing apps, and Touchwood, none of tuem show ANY Grey spots, or any such pixel differences, even in the Headers .... But i do feel, software calibration can help reduce this issue with the Google apps...

E1587459749968 likes this.
  11. Jose_Lizarazo
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2020

Jose_Lizarazo , Jul 1, 2020 :
    I have done a lot of tests with the screen, and so far I think is some Material Design thing or maybe some logical separation of the navbar from the rest of the screen and that's why in some cases it could look a little bit different.

:rolleyes:

12. shubham6321
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2020

shubham6321 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Could be solved with software fix tho right?

13. Ritrai
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2020

Ritrai , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Got my Oneplus 8 Pro today was very excited, ordered on the 29th J
    1593594143409.jpg

1593594143537.jpg
    une sale. I have seen many users facing display issues but recently heard now most users are getting a nice unit. Unfortunately i have display issues the black bar though its not too noticeable by eyes also i can See my home screen icons when on high brightness and switch to another application found out it's a hardware issue. Going for replacement hope i get a better unit.

PradipSinghi, Dr_Jo and GauravCR7 like this.
  14. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2020

15. Ritrai
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2020

16. Roger.T
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2020

hydzior and WuTang like this.
  17. Jose_Lizarazo
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2020

Jose_Lizarazo , Jul 2, 2020 :
    As long as is not hardware, things can get solved via software if needed.

;)

Sanjay kharol likes this.
  18. Goku_SuperSaiyan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 2, 2020

Goku_SuperSaiyan , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jul 2, 2020 :
    In landscape , the app doesn't switch to full screen mode...like crome , when change it to landscape than the part which have black bar gets cut out...thats why it doesn't show

19. adi2607
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2020

adi2607 , Jul 2, 2020 :
    I am getting a black band along the punch hole when i am at 120hz, brightness is below 25% and dc dimming is off. I went to store and they said that my device will be replaced but the new device may also have the same issue. Do all oneplus 8 pro devices have this issue or some devices are defective? Is it possible to get an 8 pro device which does not have this problem? Also, is this a hardware issue or a software one?

SohamMallick likes this.
  20. Arun_R
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2020