I feel like I settled for the OnePlus 8

1. DrCyanide
    Donut May 8, 2021

DrCyanide , May 8, 2021 :
    I had a OnePlus 3T and loved it. Between the better-than-stock Android and the notification slider, I thought there was no way I could leave a OnePlus device.

Sadly, my experience with the OnePlus 8 has been less great. My most frequent issue is that my notification slider only works about 80% of the time. It's still useful for quickly muting ads, but it fails often enough I can't blindly silence my phone like I could with the 3T. It's really sucked the joy out of having the slider at all, making it feel more like a gimmick than the hardware feature I know it can be. I don't know if this is an issue with just my device (roughly 1 year old) or if this is common with the OnePlus 8.

The other thing I definitely settled on was giving up the headphone jack. I have a dongle on my headphones, but I've been frustrated more times than I can remember by not having a dedicated jack on the phone, most often when I'm trying to troubleshoot audio issues for others. Plus it's just annoying to have to constantly take the dongle off when I want to use my headphones with my laptop or my VR headset, only to put it back on later.

The "Never Settle" motto felt pretty accurate for my 3T, but with my 8 it feels more like OnePlus is showing me the door. I'll definitely have to see what the market looks like in a few years. I hope that OnePlus can improve these minor details in their hardware before that time.

2. Shanker1969
    Donut May 8, 2021

Shanker1969 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 8, 2021 :
    True.
    I own an 8 pro and the issues list just doesn't end. With each stable build comes new software issues I have weird inconsistent camera performance. Battery is just straight up pathetic. I have literally never got a SOT of more than 4 hours. And I can absolutely relate to the slider point. Earlier it was easier to access now it's a tiny metal bar which hardly works when you need it to.
    One plus really screwed people over with the 8 and 9 series. I mean I was a consistent fan boy now I'm just looking else for a Vanilla experience and will end up shelling copious amounts of money for a pixel. I guess the fact that a company built on perfection and serving the customers for real suddenly departing to chase a shifty brand image is truly heartbreaking.

DrCyanide likes this.
  3. Tee_Eee_Bee
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2021

Tee_Eee_Bee , May 9, 2021 :
    If you haven't already, try using a small, stiff brush or toothpick to clean the slider and see if that makes a difference. Some other users have reported that this has helped as dirt and lint can sometimes build up in the slot.

4. Sidharth0628
    Froyo May 26, 2021