I have a OnePlus 3T with Android 8 rooted with Magisk and TWRP. How do I upgrade to Android 9?

1. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 15, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 15, 2019 :
    Some threads say I have to wipe all data, some claim that it is possible but without explaining the step by step how to.
    I tried to upgrade via the OTA update but it failed.
    Can someone please write down the exact steps to take? I'm sure many others are in the same situation as me.
    Thanks

EDIT: No reward on the forums

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019

2. Paschfire
    KitKat Nov 15, 2019

Praty_28 likes this.
  3. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 15, 2019

pablofg1978 , Nov 15, 2019 :
    I would sincerely consider to move to a custom rom based on Android 10.
    The official support for the op3/t is about to end (or already ended)

ironass likes this.
  4. Swati@Sawale
    Froyo Nov 16, 2019

Swati@Sawale , Nov 16, 2019 :
    Use the normal version without OTA and you'll have Android 9. Now give me the bitcoin bro!!!

5. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 16, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 16, 2019 :
    Thanks! I still don't fully understand the instructions though.
    In stage 3, what does it mean to "dirty" flash the rom? And where do I get the flashable zip?
    step 4 says to flash the firmware. I always thought that firmware and ROM are synonymous. What's the difference between them?
    And does "flash" always mean the same action in TWRP? Does it mean clicking on the Install gray button when opening it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want it to work on the first try with no mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019

6. Paschfire
    KitKat Nov 16, 2019

Paschfire , via OnePlus 3T Gunmetal , Nov 16, 2019 :
    Little busy this morning(currently 8:45am here), I'll try to list out steps/answers to your installation related questions this afternoon.

Best regards!

7. Swati@Sawale
    Froyo Nov 17, 2019

Swati@Sawale , Nov 17, 2019 :
    No!!! I gave you better solution!!! Give me the Bitcoin!!!

8. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 17, 2019 :
    Thank you! I'd really appreciate that!
    btw if anyone else knows how to answer these questions feel free to chime in :)

9. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Nov 18, 2019

Praty_28 , Nov 18, 2019 :
    Do you have an encrypted /data partition or is it decrypted?

To check goto settings>>security>>encryption. If it says encrypt phone that means your data is decrypted and you do not need to flash the modified bootloader in order to upgrade to pie and you can follow the usual update procedure. Regardless you should backup your entire internal storage to someplace safe.

10. karthik oneplus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 18, 2019

karthik oneplus , via OnePlus 3T , Nov 18, 2019 :
    Mine says encrypt phone and below it says encrypted. What does it actually mean?

11. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Nov 18, 2019

It means that your data partition is encrypted and you will have to use a modified bootloader to upgrade to oos 9. Also some Android 10 custom roms do no support encryption so you will have to format data to decrypt and only then you will be able to flash the rom.

12. karthik oneplus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 18, 2019

karthik oneplus , via OnePlus 3T , Nov 18, 2019 :
    Oosh sounds hell [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e] I am still on custom rom running 5.0.8.
    I have rooted before for galaxy s3. But just follewd xda. Never checked whether phone was encrypted or not.

13. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Nov 18, 2019

Yes it is a hassle. I've been in encryption related issues while switching roms lost over 50GB of data and learned it the hard way. Now I've decrypted my device and keep it that way. As oxygenos force encrypts your device you are needed to flash root immediately after flashing rom.. one mistaken reboot and boom encrypted again and it takes a lot of time as it encrypts on the spinning circle boot logo and there is noo indication of the process of forced data encryption. If you think your phone is in bootloop and interrupt the process once again you lose all data. So always keep data backed up.

14. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Nov 18, 2019

ghostofcain , Nov 18, 2019 :
    No you don't, a simple data wipe will allow you to flash Pie, over an encrypted bootloader unlocked Oreo build. Obviously this will result in a loss of data, but surely no one updates an OS without a backup.

BTW once a Pie build is installed, further builds can be flashed without the need to wipe data.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019

15. Praty_28
    Jelly Bean Nov 19, 2019

Praty_28 , Nov 19, 2019 :
    But that is complete data loss including internal storage, not everyone backs up 50+ GB of files and it takes hours transferring all that data back and fourth using the traditional usb 2.0 port on the 3T. So if a simple modified bootloader does the job then why not?

16. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 19, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 19, 2019 :
    Can you please not hijack my thread?
    I'm still waiting for answers on my previous questions

Thanks

17. LexTertia
    Froyo Nov 19, 2019

LexTertia , Nov 19, 2019 :
    If you want to use OTA you could try the following: Unroot, uninstall magisk. There is an option in developer settings which overrides the recovery back to stock. Enable it and on next boot TWRP will be overwritten with the original OnePlus Recovery. With this OTA should work again. That's how I did it some years ago.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019

18. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 23, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 23, 2019 :
    Can anyone please answer these questions for me? Am I not in the right forum?
    Been waiting over a week...

19. LexTertia
    Froyo Nov 23, 2019

LexTertia , Nov 23, 2019 :
    -Dirty flash means to flash the rom over an already existing rom. It's not necessesary to wip the system partition.
    -The Firmware is part of the ROM. This part is stored in NAND. It contains i.e. the radio firmware. That's why step 2 (backing it up) is very important before altering it.
    -To flash in twrp:
    1. you hit the grey 'Install'
    2. select the file you want to flash
    3. swipe to confirm at the bottom
    What you are supposed to do is:
    1. Flash TWRP 3.3.1-0, if you are on this version already you will still need to reflash it later, therefore download it and prepare to flash it before you proceed.
    2. backup your NAND
    3. flash the official 9.0 rom. You can get here (if you wait a few more days 9.0.6 should be available there): https://www.oneplus.in/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1574156120231
    4. without rebooting flash the mentioned firmware.zip
    5. without rebooting reflash TWRP 3.3.1-0
    6. wipe cache and dalvik
    7. after you reboot you should be on Pie

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019

20. G_Muli_to_aOZe
    Cupcake Nov 23, 2019

G_Muli_to_aOZe , Nov 23, 2019 :
    THANK YOU! Finally it's all clear! I guess I'll wait a few days for the 9.0.6
    10 USD Bitcoin is still available, feel free to send me a wallet address :)