I love this invite system (Previous title too vulgar, changed by 1+)

1. WarNeverChanges
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

WarNeverChanges , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Now I've been following the OnePlus One ever since they did the AMA on Reddit on March 4th. I've faithfully watched the forums every day for any new announcements, but just lurked. I only signed up for an account on Monday to participate in the T-Shirt giveaway, but I've been carefully checking the forums to make sure I'm one of the first to get the 1+1 when it's ready to order.

But it's not just me. There are thousands like me; people who haven't signed up for forum accounts but are still faithful followers of OnePlus. I have liked their Facebook page. I have them in my circles on G+. Do I not deserve an invite just because I'm not an active contributor on their forum? Do I not deserve an invite because I haven't outwardly shown my support for OnePlus? I've shared their photos. I've told my friends in person about the wonderfulness of the 1+1. Just because I haven't posted in the forums, does it mean I don't get to buy a phone?

The discussion about the invite system has already begun on Reddit. Some choice quotes include:
    "Kinda seems like a bullshit way to say they didn't make enough, either intentionally to drive hype or just because they couldn't. Neither option sounds that good."
    - InvaderDJ

"Sounds like a load of crap to me. So instead of pre-ordering and waiting I'm going to have to beg all over the internet just for an opportunity to buy the thing? Lord knows no one I know IRL is going to be one of the chosen ones.
    This just sucked a lot of interest I had in the phone out."
    - ZeroSuitSamus

"The cracks are beginning to show"
    - Haas599

Now before you accuse me of selectively picking the comments, let it be known that I picked the top 3 voted comments as of this time (10:06AM PST).

What do these comments show? The comments show how dissatisfied they are with the invite system. They show how put off they are towards the 1+1 because of this stupid system. Nobody they know in real life will be able to get an invite, so how are they supposed to get a phone?

I'm an amateur blogger on two sites. I was really looking forward to this wonderful phone. I even emailed media relations to discuss having an interview with them about the 1+1 to generate some hype, but there was never a return email. What kind of shit show is OnePlus running here?

To end, I'd like to use another quote that I found expressed my dismay briefly and succinctly:
    "Never Settle, Never get your phone."
    - p-zilla

Edit1: So I've had some time to cool down and I've decided on the three fundamental problems with this kind of rollout:
    1) Who will be judged to be the ones deserving of an invite?
    Someone is going to be mad. If the invites are decided to be given out to themost active forum members, those who have been hyping the OnePlus outside of the forums will be mad. If it's given out randomly, the most active forum contributors will be mad. There is no pleasing everyone in this invite. If the rollout was to be done by selling batches and batches, at least nobody will be feeling ostracized by OnePlus.

2) Why should I jump through a bunch of hoops to give OnePlus money?
    I'm already interested in this phone. I'm willing to pay cold, hard cash for this phone. So why do I need to go out and message forum members for invites, or to try to win the chance to give OnePlus money in contests? It makes me mad just to think about it -- We're actively hoping that we will be blessed with the chance to pay $399, the retail price, for this phone. It seems like OnePlus is playing with us now and using us as their virtual marketing army.

3) How can #NeverSettle be applicable when we have to settle for entering contests and acting like trained monkeys to buy this phone?
    If OnePlus expects me to be grateful that they gave the chance to buy this phone, then that's absurd. If anything, I'm doing OnePlus a favor by buying it! They're not losing any money by selling this phone. They're gaining a happy, loyal, customer who will be sure to promote their brand. So why am I the one who has to try so hard to obtain this phone? I'm practically shoving money in their face and their reply is "nuh uh. I will take this money and earn a profit, but you must also give me a ******* in that back-alley over there because I know you want this phone so much"

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

npalmy, Deepak, zmanc7 and 18 others like this.
  2. hydroninja9
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

jewjitsu117 and noor440 like this.
  3. Sulaco
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

jewjitsu117 likes this.
  4. MF831
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2014

triculious and Benplusone like this.
  5. bertust
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

bertust , Apr 17, 2014 :
    You know, maybe try to tone down your title? Not really appropriate for this forum.

muddy46 likes this.
  6. colts5609

7. maddogman1776
    Eclair Apr 17, 2014

maddogman1776 , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I fully understand why they decided to do it like this because it protects them from having to put so much capital into making phones that they might not sell. I would rather have them be around for a long time then have them make too many phones to the point where not enough people buy them and it causes them to go bankrupt and close

8. Kesebrot
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Kesebrot , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I'm quite a bit dissapointet. I had really looked forward to the 23th april, because i think its one of the bravest and best innovations of the last year. I followed the announcement every day since half of a year, but i don't like posts and my english is very bad (now i got help).
    I'm also waiting to buy a new smartphone, in hope the 1+ 1 would be this great, like it was in my imagination. But now in a instant, it is in such a wide distance to get one. I hope the developer will be not dissapointet about this system. For the User and the customers it will be a huge hurdle.

noor440 likes this.
  9. ledfrog
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

ledfrog , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I'm curious how they plan to measure the activity of forum members. If it's just a matter of post count, you could probably expect all the new members to just run around posting all sorts of randomness. Or would it be based on when you originally joined + how many posts you have?

I, like you have been following this whole thing sort of in the shadows and I just joined the forums today to comment on some of the flack this invite system seems to be getting. I won't complain if I don't get an invite simply because I have no history of "supporting" the community, but that doesn't mean I haven't talked about it to my real life friends and over on reddit. Oh well, we'll see how it all pans out shortly.

10. _ASSASSIN_

_ASSASSIN_ , Apr 17, 2014 :
    it's plain not practical. I don't like this system. It will probably turn away my friends who I told about the phone and were looking forward to it. I hope this is only for pre-order.

noor440 likes this.
  11. ledfrog
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

ledfrog , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Wouldn't a pre-order system have solved that problem? I'm not talking about a 1-week prior to launch type of pre-order that the likes of Apple could hold down. I mean, they could have launched "paid-in-full pre-orders" a long time ago and used that real money to place real orders for phones.

noor440, WarNeverChanges and MSD like this.
  12. bertust
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

bertust , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I like to write about phones in my journal. I never got a response from media relations either.

I.C.Wiener likes this.
  13. EdwinD
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

EdwinD , Apr 17, 2014 :
    You start a company to succeed and grow and don't think of bankruptcy when you are about to launch your first product.

14. infernowheels
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2014

infernowheels , Apr 17, 2014 :
    We are all hoping that there's another way to buy the One... I really need a replacement phone now..

15. toriburu
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

16. Tesirb
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

17. T00Sp00kyFoU

T00Sp00kyFoU , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I definitely think you should get a phone. You're incredibly active and I think well known/active members should get an invite. Sucks that you aren't in a release country. I really hope you get a device sooner rather than later man. :)

infernowheels likes this.
  18. asutton
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

asutton , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I'm totally agree with this. I understand them not wanting to manufacture more phones than necessary and not wanting to be swamped on launch day with orders, but some weird invite system doesn't sit well with me.

19. reddawn1563
    Eclair Apr 17, 2014

reddawn1563 , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Well, I dunno. I supposed people will love it or hate it depending on whether or not they get a phone. Realistically, I wonder hope many A-holes are going to get the phone and place it on ebay. Some people will make a killin on these phones. Me I just want one for myself :(

20. Kesebrot
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Kesebrot , Apr 17, 2014 :
    What if i am the only one of my friends, that wanna buy the 1+1, because all have new phones. Where do i get my Invitement now. -.-