I settled. By choice too.

1. dc2000
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 14, 2014

dc2000 , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Background history:

"early supporter", received my invite mid July(I'm #30k), got the device - right away thought it was too big. Sold it on craigslist(locally) for what I paid for it + $20(to make it an even $500 as I'm in Canada), after a week I decided I might of made the wrong choice. So I bought it again only to decide yet again, still too big - no matter how I look at it. Also, I was afraid of taking it outside because of a few issues: A. limited production run, if something happened to it - I'd be SOL, B. lack of(read: NO) support which can hamper the RMA/swap/or whatever. and C. this yellow banding that I received on both units. For anyone out there on here to say "it doesn't bother me", you're lying through your teeth. It's noticeable. Especially on a white screen. The bottom third of the screen is friggen yellow. As if someone pissed on my screen. I don't like it, and I shouldn't have to stick it in the sun, or under UV lighting to fix it. That's the responsibility of OnePlus, and if they decide to ship these units like this then all the power to them! But I won't buy faulty equipment for full cost. You wouldn't buy a house with a mold problem, even though it's fixable - or a car with minor rust that's treatable. So why SETTLE for a phone? Doesn't make sense.

For all those that will say TL : DR - why even bother responding? To get your post count up? Congratulations. To the rest that said I made the wrong choice. Cool story bro.

So, what did I settle for? An LG G3. I can utilize my microSD slot. I don't mind carrying a second battery, no issues there.

If OnePlus is around for a version Two of their device. Things to keep in mind:
    • Get rid of the invite system, it's dreadful.
    • If you're going to make the back removable, make it easier to remove and have the battery swappable.
    • Don't go 5.5" in a 6.5" body. LG G3 beat you with this.
    • Add a microSD slot.
    • And look into opening a shop in some countries that are getting raped for shit.

IE: Canada, a $350 US device works out to be nearly $500 CND. Ya, nooooo. Epic fail.

Madness.

For everyone else, enjoy your phone. I did like the phone, but it just wasn't for me. The sandstone back is amazing, the fact that this phone is so thin and cheap, also a feat. Hope to see a better OnePlus Two(or Three) and a Tablet. Keep innovating, and keep kicking some ***. You haven't completely lost a customer, he just chooses to wait for the next thing.

PS: I'm still waiting for my invites to share, as I should be getting more soon as I've ordered numerous OnePlus One's from a few accounts, so the moment I get them I will be sharing them with all of you. (3 or 6 invites should be coming soon if not 9).

Thanks y'all.
    Peace out, bruh bruh. #TCU

2. Deactivated User
    Aug 14, 2014

3. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Aug 14, 2014

drmartin , Aug 14, 2014 :
    The tax issue has been addressed a million gazillion times, it's not really an epic fail. If Canada wants to pay zero tax like Americans then you gotta give up your nationhood and join the USA. ;-=)

think, Reflect Stratos, mh464 and 4 others like this.
  4. DeadNoob
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2014

DeadNoob , Aug 14, 2014 :
    Well,your problems are quite unique,like for example crying that 64GB arent enough for a phone,but hey comparing a 350$ Phone to the G3 is fun all the time right ?

PLPeeters likes this.
  5. vaio

vaio , Aug 14, 2014 :
    A lot of valid points there.
    The jaundice is certainly unsettling and concerning that a company would ship product out with a known fault.

Unfortunately I think return/replacement would be too much of a hassle for many.

Quality control issues should have been addressed ahead of a major rollout.

But hey, that's what guinea pigs are for!

Enjoy your alternate phone :)

6. manas.mr
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2014

7. Deactivated User
    Aug 14, 2014

8. Hexx
    Froyo Aug 14, 2014

9. Deactivated User
    Aug 14, 2014

Dgl1994, vineesh, yaltis and 2 others like this.
  10. driez

driez , Aug 14, 2014 :
    I have an LG ... and I truly hate it especially lately it's starting to randomly exit apps,restart itself,crash in apps etc.

simon28 likes this.
  11. Deactivated User
    Aug 14, 2014

dc2000 likes this.
  12. dc2000
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 15, 2014

dc2000 , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Thanks brotha. I'll still be sticking around. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows.

13. Stew2
    Jelly Bean Aug 15, 2014

Stew2 , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Actually, it's more the high shipping charges and exchange that drive the price up so much in Canada.

tomas.belchior and dc2000 like this.
  14. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Aug 15, 2014

drmartin , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Would be the same price as USA if Canada joined the Union.

15. alexmwong
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

16. PhantomLord
    Eclair Aug 15, 2014

PhantomLord , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Nice review there, I agree on almost everything. Btw, how much did you pay for your G3 / Where did you buy it? I assume you put CM on it also? I really need a new phone, mine is an old dying Galaxy S2 and until now I thought OPO was the way to go.. I'm from Quebec, Canada so OPO = 485$ for me :(

17. Aeronaut
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2014

Aeronaut , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Like you i have the G3 now. When it comes screen ratio per dimensions LG have set the benchmark.
    Yes, someone one day will release a smaller phone than this but it won't be by much.
    What version/ colour did you go for ?

You made some great observations and a few of them are exactly how i felt.

I have nothing against the One but it isn't thw Flagship Killer they proclaim. Price & Specs very nearly top drawer but lack of 800mhz LTE for Europe and having overly generous proportions make it more of a shake'n'wake to the other manufacturers.

18. Stew2
    Jelly Bean Aug 15, 2014

Stew2 , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Pass on that, thanks anyway :)

dc2000 likes this.
  19. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Aug 15, 2014

drmartin , Aug 15, 2014 :
    I totally understand but what you pass on is American prices for gas and goods. It costs something when you must have everything in two languages and taxed at a higher rate. The OPO is chapter in usa because the phone is never taxed at any point.

Nothing against you but Canadians should stop bitching about paying the same price as the rest of the world outside USA. ;-)

20. Mandicus
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2014

Mandicus , Aug 15, 2014 :
    It is a big screen, no doubt about it but I got a 4inch screen and that's just a tad too small to do some reading on.

The invite system is kind of annoying but hey, it's hard to stand out in a crowd of smartphones these days. I can see why they would try.