Camera

I think my op7 pro's 3rd camera does nothing

1. prime3077 Cupcake Jul 13, 2019

prime3077, Jul 13, 2019 :
    Hi, I just bought and received OP7Pro from yesterday, and I really love it.
    But I have a question about camera.

I tested the camera while I was blocking each lens,
    wide-angle
    normal angle
    3x optical zoom.

First, I blocked wide angle lens with my finger and the screen showed my finger.
    Second, I blocked normal angle lens with my finger and the screen showed my finger.

But third, I blocked the bottom one, 3x optical zoom, with camera app setted at 3x mode, but screen just showed background of my room, not my finger.

But I heard that 3rd lens is 3x optical lens, but when I block 3rd lens, camera app's 3x mode still works.
    Is there something wrong with my device?

sorry for broken English...

maybewehitamoose likes this.
  2. maybewehitamoose Cupcake Jul 13, 2019

maybewehitamoose, Jul 13, 2019 :
    I had noticed something similar happening with the bottom lens on mine until I went into the portrait camera, which appears to use that lens. Afterwards the regular camera 3x is also using that lens. Can you give that a try?

edit: maybe it's trying to use the lens it thinks is best for lighting? just tried again without the portrait camera, initially 3x was using the middle lens. toggled between 1x and 3x again and it switched to the bottom lens.

prime3077 likes this.
  3. Swejuggalo Jelly Bean Jul 13, 2019

Swejuggalo, Jul 13, 2019 :
    Yepp. The camera tries to adjust automatically. I tested several times. Used the zoom lens at 3x. Covered with my finger and I saw the finger for a moment and then it jumps over to digital zoom since it believes it's too dark for zoom lens.

prime3077 likes this.
  4. Melkuse Daniel Froyo Jul 13, 2019

Melkuse Daniel, Jul 13, 2019 :
    It doesn't mean the third camera not working it works but the main lens and telephoto lens were switching automatically so that's how and why it happens. When the telephoto lens recognise any block or dark lighting it automatically shifts to main lens, which it should not shift like that but I don't know whether it's a bug or feature to avoid blocks and dark lighting. If you still think it's a bug or camera problem then go ahead and report in feedback tool under bug section and select camera.

Bouncer71 and prime3077 like this.
  5. Discostu Jelly Bean Jul 13, 2019

Discostu, Jul 13, 2019 :
    It's meant to do that. The main sensor has a much wider aperture and higher resolution, so cropping it down should be similar to the 3x and the wider aperture allows it to work in low light now effectively.

6. prime3077 Cupcake Jul 13, 2019

prime3077, Jul 13, 2019 :
    oh, then the phone is actually smarter than I thought xD

Thanks to all the replies, guys! have a nice day.

7. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 13, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jul 13, 2019 :
    It's exactly this. The zoom lens only works if the environment is well lot enough

prime3077 likes this.
  8. Lei Z. Test Engineer Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jul 15, 2019

9. Lei Z. Test Engineer Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jul 15, 2019

10. Lei Z. Test Engineer Staff Member OnePlus Bug Hunter Jul 15, 2019

11. gurckchen Cupcake Jul 15, 2019

gurckchen, Jul 15, 2019 :
    With the new Oxgen OS 9.5.9 i noticed that the zoomlens is used more often (until its a lot darker outside). But i made some shots with good lighting (1 with blocked lens to use the 48MP and one without blocked for the zoom) and poorer and the shots with the 48MP lens is better in both cases. Does somebody know if there are planned upgrades to the processing?