I want to reinstall/flash a clean version of OxygenOS - what's the difference between...?

1. wiebejosh
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2020

wiebejosh , Feb 20, 2020 :
    Not enough room in the title.

What's the difference between:
    - installing an OS through the software update, local option (this says data will be preserved)
    - installing an OS through sideloading (sideloading also preserves data)

Is there a way I can COMPLETELY reinstall the original operating system?

2. wiebejosh
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2020

wiebejosh , Feb 20, 2020 :
    A little more to this, I just recently got a North American OP7T, upgrading from an OG Pixel 1. However, I was quite disappointed to see the OP7T doesn't have Call Screen. Aha - some people have a work around, and using Magisk, you can install call screen. Well, I unlocked the boot loader, flashed a boot image, and Magisk was working. Until I rebooted - it said Magisk was not installed. Anyways, got fed up with it, and now I just want to *completely reinstall the factory image*. However, I understand there is a difference between sideloading, resetting, and flashing.

If I try to enter recovery mode now, I get the language selection (select English), select advanced, select reboot to recovery, the phone reboots and goes back to the language selection screen. o_O

I understand if I save the .zip OP7T factory firmware, I can install the software through software update - but it's my understanding this preserves data (and therefore may preserve anything I ****** up from Magisk before).

It used to be so easy to flash an OEM Rom, but it appears 1+ is making it harder?

Any help?

3. wiebejosh
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2020

wiebejosh , Feb 21, 2020 :
    Figured it out. I can use MSM to flash a factory image.

Because the phone uses A/B partitions, is installing a factory image through the software update setting the same as flashing an image using MSM?

4. wiebejosh
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2020

5. wiebejosh
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

Best Answer