Idea for Like Contests (and NUS)

1. Cakepips
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2020

Cakepips , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Dear @Amanda W. (or whomever this should go to/wants to read this )

Firstly, this is my first thread and something I've been thinking over the past few days... I sincerely hope it's ok to post (and I got the right place to post it).

I would like to put forward a suggestion/idea based from this week's happenings.

If possible, whenever doing 'community votes/sticky likes' , that the forum post be limited to a certain ladder tier. Eg. eclair and above. By doing this, this actually focuses on true community voting instead of/ removing the ability to use New User Spamming (Cupcake Spamming). This also makes people interact more with the community, instead of a one use user. Active members are better than millions of inactive new users on the forum server, wouldn't you agree?

A recent example of this would be in the Product Manager Contest, which concluded this week. As you know, a lot of fantastic designs were made in this contest (go check them out here if you haven't).

Out of all 15 sticked designs, who mainly got community votes only, one user decided to new user spam a total of 20 new users out of 31 overall deadline likes. Not only did they get a place in the top 5 by doing this but this allowed them to be chosen by the Nord team (who I respect their decision as they only chose out of the five that handed to them).

This isn't ok and apparently, this is normal, which shouldn't be the norm.

I'm sure many would agree that there is nothing more wonderful than having the support and love from other fellow community members on things you do, regardless of who you are.
    By New User Spamming, you completely take away that that joy and there's no respect by doing it.

However, what's done is done and we cannot change the past.
    We can however, make a better future here on the forums.

The next 'community voting' is for the Nord pop-up boxes contest (as posted on IG). There will most likely be New User Spamming for this too. If you truly value our feedback, and want to make it a true community vote, can this issue be sorted for future contests that use this system.

I hope you consider this as part of the tweaking of the community forums.

Thank you for reading.

This is open for opinions and discussion but please respect other opinions too regarding this topic.

Edit - As mentioned below in the replies: I do not speak of ill of said winner of the PM, if anyone thinks this. I personally encourage anyone to partake in these contests. I just hate that users have access to something that ruins the community feel of the contests, which is the main focus I wish to address in this thread.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

2. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

fragargon , Aug 7, 2020 :
    @Amanda W.
    I agree with cakepips and I already spotted this in another contest (Open Review OP8 serie)
    I did spot this and focus attention on it, Moderators did something. @rarog could confirm what i'm saying
    Since the thread has been erase. Cakepips is right, cupcake knows how to raised the like/vote in the contest.

3. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Swatiranjan , Aug 7, 2020 :

Can't agree more. Yes, this is one of the issue which is needed to be checked. Making people inclusive should not mean accepting unethical behaviour.
    I also felt the same during last few creative contests, I won't deliberately mention the name Cupcakes because one day I was one among them, but there is no other ways to identify how many actually are contributing or atleast feeling a part of this beautiful Community.
    We need to think about some solution.
    There is one more thing I would like to mention, people directly call the host to change their decision of final result. This should also not been accepted. I know there is no bad intention choosing the winner in a contest, people nag a lot in forums that should also needed to be controlled.
    Hope you are listening @Amanda W.

4. Cakepips

Cakepips , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I second this. I think one happened last week?
    Once a decision is said, it's final.

Btw, I do not speak of ill of said winner of the PM, if anyone thinks this. I personally encourage anyone to partake in these contests. I just hate that they access to something that ruins the community feel of the contests, which is the main focus I wish to address in this thread.

Anyway.

5. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2020

asishgrwl , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I have a suggestion but I don't know if it's feasible.
    Users/People should only be given the right to vote in such contests if they have a OnePlus device which is registered against their id.
    I guess this can be verified at the back-end (i.e., by some algorithm/code). No?

6. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2020

Did I mention anything about participation?
    I guess, you need to know things first and then comment and also calm down a bit. No?

PS: I just suggested something for voting, not for participating/participation. Also, I mentioned that it may not be feasible. Hope you'll go through the thread and the comments once again with a cool and calm mind.:)

7. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2020

Cool. I guess, we think differently here.:)
    That's always good to know.:)
    Is, asking somebody on the forum to be calm and hoping something, against the forum rules? Also, is it bad etiquette too?
    I would request you to go through my posts to better understand what this community means to me and I'll say this once again as I guess, I've written it pretty clearly "I have a suggestion but I don't know if it's feasible.":)

8. Cakepips

Cakepips , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Hi @Internet Heathen , Nice to meet you.

Firstly I agree: Contests are for everyone not matter what it is, who they are and even what level they are. As someone who isn't an oldie, in fact i've only been on here for a few months, and happy to support anyone who walks onto the oneplus forum, no matter who they are.

I'm not saying block all the cupcakes out either in partaking as that would make it a pure oldies club, which is something I wouldn't want at all. Contests are for everyone and introduces to the forums itself.

It's only when it comes to a 'like this post' contest that says 'the community will vote' that it become uneven. It's perfectly fine if a few cupcakes vote on posts because most likely Oneplus has promoted the contest on socials and they come from that. Sure you can also say that it's family and friends supporting their creative bean, which is lovely too. But when it becomes an obvious blast of new users for the gain of winning, that's when it isn't ok and can put users new and old off competing.

I totally appreciate and love all contests that the staff put on. This experience hasn't put me off taking part because they're fun and I am actually learning about things. That's what personally keeps me here and interacting with the lovely community. Winning is not my priority, it's the experience. If I do win something, amazing but if don't that perfectly cool aswell. :blush:

Everyones got opinions and i'm sorry if this thread cringes you. I'm just noticing a common thing that happens across contests that other users have noticed too. Just wanting to make sure they're fair for everyone, no matter who they are, and this isn't a personal thing at all.

I hope you respect my opinions as much as I respect your opinion on this.

manojsurya99 and Starcommander like this.
  9. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Hi and welcome,

yes you are true contest are for everyone in this community but it came to my attention that some members were cheating. Everytime it was member with a low activity profil. Don't get my word wrong. I don't say every of them. We just need some way to cut that cheating by given some better way to the voting process. No need to argue the injustice. This is only a thread, we are user like you. Give and argue your insight. Staff member will shed their mind on this... or may be not. Who knows :) :)

manojsurya99 and Starcommander like this.
  10. Cakepips

Cakepips , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I'm respecting that your disagree with what I've said, and acknowledging it. I expected this thread to have any opinion, be it agree/disagree/neutral which is why we're having an open conversation about it.

Nope. It not. Again, It's never for winning for me personally, as I've mentioned before.

I understand it's a running gag.
    I understand how contests work too.
    There will be winner, there will be losers.

If you generally feel this is cringe, then move onto another thread. You've said your two penny's worth and we get your opinion on this and I appreciate you've said it. Truly.

11. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Internet Heathen

As I written above​

Hi, thank you for example, be friendly as never killed anyone or trashed a conversation.
    It is nice to present your insight in this matter. Concern people will read it.
    What else... yes I was presenting a situation were some where cheating!
    It's all about to recognize a honest, talented users partipating to a contest whatever it is and not be spoilled by likes as it was exposed above. No need to fall down to a drama.

This community is open, you are invited to join us and chat. this is a good place to start

12. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I believe you didn't get his point... I skimmed through this thread and from what I've understand he's talking about inorganic likes and referring to accounts created just for likes.

that happens all the time active users ask others to like their entries as well, new users might ask their family and friends to create an account and give 'em a like.

Anyway, I'd advise you both to relax. this is just an online forum... A bad one at that.

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Aug 7, 2020

Cakepips and Swatiranjan like this.
  14. Starcommander
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

15. Starcommander
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

Starcommander , Aug 7, 2020 :
    This is actually a great Idea.

Cakepips and Swatiranjan like this.
  16. script
    Nougat Moderator Aug 7, 2020

script , Aug 7, 2020 :
    You have my support, as you are right!

17. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Aug 8, 2020

manojsurya99 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    @Cakepips you nailed it.
    @Internet Heathen well, no one I guess from the community does tend/have rights to say that someone shouldn't participate or win any content.
    We all are here to appreciate the creativity and enthusiasm of everyone who is interested to make OnePlus a better community..
    Also let's say for example, contests like get a custom OnePlus 8, where a lucky winner is chosen, no one has issues with the selected winner who is just joined the community and made one post. But for certain posts, where winner is decided based on the community choice, there is a possibility of spamming.. This is exactly something the thread is intended to focus on.

Internet Heathen likes this.