I'm a Canada born Chinese (CBC) accountant working with many tech start-ups - AMA!

1. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

CanadianBarb , Nov 11, 2014 :
    Not sure if this might be interesting for anyone, but thought it might be worth a shot.

Some facts about me:
    - I'm born in Vancouver, more specifically, in Richmond, where it's essentially a second Hong Kong in the middle of an otherwise-wholly English speaking land
    - I'm an accountant that's more than a little tech-obsessed
    - I've worked with 2 separate software start-ups from the grounds up and am now moving on to my 3rd
    - I'm 29 --- not sure how this might be the least bit relevant.

In a Reddit fashion - ask me anything!

2. joythewizard
    Gingerbread Nov 11, 2014

3. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

I am fully fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin. However, I am also supposed to be fluent in French considering that's our second national language ... but ... we're on the west, so we don't really give a shit.

emeute, billv, finaldentiny and 8 others like this.
  4. blur13
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2014

blur13 , Nov 11, 2014 :
    Welcome! I am also from H.K, now live in the States. You plan on getting the One? ;)

5. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

I love your avatar! Charmander is my favorite!

6. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

Well, I am hoping for one. I have the Galaxy Nexus and it's really on its last legs. I have an iPhone 6 as my work phone, but it's just not really cutting it :( I am too attached to the innovations of Android.

Are you following all the happenings with the umbrella revolution? My friends that moved back to HK are very divided between the 2 sides.

7. macem29
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2014

8. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

Fortunately, Canadians are typically more humble and run away at the first sign of attention. Beiber is an exception. There are many exceptions.

9. macem29
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2014

macem29 , Nov 11, 2014 :
    was just messin around....good to see you have a sense of humour.....

and my childhood French went away too....one shit we do not give in SE Ontario either

10. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

Really? But you're right next to the province-that-shall-not-be-named. They don't protest that their neighbors don't respect their sovereignty?

Nilesh Sajnani and romyv like this.
  11. hotsauce
    Lollipop Nov 11, 2014

hotsauce , Nov 11, 2014 :
    Welcome to the forum, what is that camera you're holding in your picture?

12. IWantOneNow
    KitKat Nov 11, 2014

IWantOneNow , Nov 11, 2014 :
    Haha, please take Bieber back! We don't want him :p

13. romyv
    Froyo Nov 11, 2014

romyv , Nov 11, 2014 :
    llllove it! :p

CanadianBarb likes this.
  14. Bassilk
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2014

Bassilk , Nov 11, 2014 :
    What were the startups? And what's that you're currently in? Did they fail or get acquired or did you just move on? That's the entrepreneur inside me speaking... And welcome to the forums.

15. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

It's the Canon Powershot S100 - my preferred point-and-shoot that I think has better results than an SLR. Also because an SLR is too shouting "I'm a tourist" and this camera is more inconspicuous.

This is the current generation of the camera: http://www.trustedreviews.com/canon-s120-review

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  16. TigerXC
    Lollipop Nov 11, 2014

CanadianBarb likes this.
  17. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

You reap what you sow. America ruined him. America's problem. Before you annex us, it's not Canada's problem.

But, jokes aside, he used to be such a sweet kid ...

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  18. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

Thank you! It's actually happy and sunny over at this side of Canada. Although, I shouldn't speak too soon.. might jinx it. It's the only sunny day in a while. We are in a land of perpetual rain.

Nilesh Sajnani and TigerXC like this.
  19. CanadianBarb
    Eclair Nov 11, 2014

The first start-up is a email archiving company that specialized in archiving all messages for broker-dealers and hedge-funds.

The second start-up is a company that provides lawyers a way to manage their practice on cloud.

As at now, both of the companies are continuing to grow. I mainly moved on because the people and skills that a company needs when it's only 10-15 people are drastically different when it reaches over 100 people. I didn't feel that I was the right fit anymore, and moved along~

The start-up that I'm currently in is a company that provides financial, marketing and admin services to manufacturing companies, so that the manufacturing companies can focus on their original core competencies of production and logistics. It's really fun :)

20. ecy5maa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2014