I'm sad, I really wanted to love the OP3... [Returning it]

1. Keshiji Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Keshiji, Jun 19, 2016 :
    EDIT:

Just to make things a bit easier to understand, I like the phone and I truly wanted to love it but some things made me decide to return it.

Main reasons:
    • Lack of a better post-service.
    • The Loop buying experience was poor if not bad, we had less things available and all the needed information wasn't enough when it should have.
    • Information, it's also related to the previous post. It wasn't available when it should have.
    There are other small details (nitpicks at best to be extremely honest) but in the end they just added more reasons (sometimes not even's OnePlus fault) to make me want to return the device.

I also blindly bought the device, but that's because I also blindly trusted OnePlus. Those are my mistakes.

The reason why I wrote this is because I trully wanted an OnePlus device but the main issues are way too big for me.

I just hope OnePlus can use this as an experience for their next releases and see a way to improve their post-services so maybe next time I can actually buy a phone from them and be 100% happy with my purchase from the beginning to the end!

Thanks!!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ORIGINAL POST:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the OP3 during the Loop introduction and got super hyped for the phone.

I saw the pictures and constantly thought to myself that the phone was indeed great but some things irked me as the days passed which ultimately led me to decide to return the phone before it arrives.

The reason why I'm posting this is because I'd like OP to maybe see my post and maybe help them to make a better phone for the next year.

I'm returning the phone because of these simple reasons:
    • The Loop experience was bad for those who ordered their phones during it.

The reason why I'm saying this is because when the sales started there was no information sheet besides of what was available on the Loop. We didn't know which bands the phone would have, what would be inside the phone (besides what was explained in the loop) or if there was going to be more than just one model. The store just showed us one version with just one color available (when the Loop said there were two) for $399.

During the VR event there were bugs with the online store which made it quite frustrating. One example was when we went to another part of the website your cart would be emptied and you would lose your chance to buy the phone so you would need to do the Loop once again and pick another email to be able to buy the phone again). Quite troublesome.

On top of that, the early buyers couldn't add bundles, extra warranty or the otterbox case and we didn't even get an apology or an explication why this happened! If we wanted a better case or the tempered glass screen we would need to pay shipping AGAIN (and it's not cheap) when those things could've been available for free from the start.

The only thing that customer service could do was to "cancel the order" and ask us to make a new one which meant that the phone delivery would suffer delays! So yeah, it was bad experience.
    • Lack of bands

Oneplus isn't exactly at fault at this topic but nonetheless it sucks. Some main carriers are available but not all of them.

There are countries who would love to have this phone but OnePlus isn't offering their product to them and while I understand they've chosen to not do it because they might lack the manpower to offer a decent service in these regions (LatAm and Australia, as an example) or any other reason tbh... I still think it would've been great to have more bands available so these devices could be used at their full potential in those regions (and it would make the phone an amazing device for traveling). Keep in mind that users in these regions are still going to buy the phone if it's good, even if their region isn't exactly supported by your company... so a little something for them would be a nice gesture! (which would mean in more word of mouth and you guys actually want that... right?)

• Some weird decisions

The phone looks beautiful... but... why is it so thin? Why does it have less battery than the OP2?

I understand the Super AMOLED panel is more energy efficient and maybe in your own lab tests the phone might have gotten a better SoT compared to its earlier model but... didn't you guys say this in the Reddit AMA "Why do you want 4? More is better right ;)" (the context of this question is related to the 6 GB RAM) and sure, going from 4 GB to 6 GB isn't going to make the phone thicker but adding a couple of millimeters for a bigger battery wouldn't bother the userbase as most of them are used to the OPO and the OP2, so yes more battery is also better! Specially if that could've made the battery to be part of the whole phone body instead of sticking out.

I can also understand the reason why you guys opted for a 1080p screen but if you could've gotten a better battery a 2K screen wouldn't be a problem... and with that it would make the phone more future proof.

• Not the best post-service.

I tried to contact the support team 3 times where only the first one worked (and the wait times were horrible!). And the rep. (Leo was his name) said the stock of Tempered Glass protectors were available but in reality that wasn't the case (he kept telling me to reload the webpage).

At the same time he said he couldn't remove a product I bought in my order and return me what I paid for it... he also said he couldn't merge two different orders (or offer free shipping considering the mess that happened to the Loop buyers). The only thing he was able to do was to "cancel the order" and tell me to order again... which would mean that I'd lose the delivery date of what I ordered and I would've needed to wait even more time for my product and that seemed bad.

I can only imagine all the troubles it'd have if I my phone would break.

• Shipping

Canadians pay more for the phone (even more than the EU) and receive it after everyone else. That kinda meh.
    Anyway, thay's all for now. I'm returning this phone not because it's is bad as it's actually quite good for it's price margin but there are things I can't accept or that are bothering me way too much.

I hope the next phone be so amazing that I'll end getting it but for now I think I'll pass and wait for the other phones that are about to come out and decide from there (and if I don't like them I might end up buying an OP3 anyway as it'll be the next best thing, lol.)

Hopefully someone at OP will find this useful.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

2. bloooow Froyo Jun 19, 2016

bloooow, Jun 19, 2016 :
    This is honestly the most stupid post ive read here. You clearly have nothing better to do...

3. Durzel Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Durzel, Jun 19, 2016 :
    I think the whole thickness thing was to incentivise (or just assume) that people will buy their cases to go with it, as I believe these make the back of the phone flush when fitted.

That said it is an odd choice. Since the camera protrudes the phone could've easily just been 1mm or so thicker with a higher capacity battery. I don't think anyone was complaining about the width, but plenty will have noticed the smaller battery.

I'd rather they have just kept their signature Sandstone back and build the protection into that, rather than a fairly uninspired metal one it has.

My issue with the battery isn't so much the capacity - moreover that it sounds as if Dash Charge will only be available in OxygenOS, rendering the whole "our phone isn't locked down" ethos moot.

4. TakeMyMoney KitKat Jun 19, 2016

TakeMyMoney, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Hmm. I've sent phones back to OnePlus, but that was because the phones simply didn't work as advertized.

Seems like you are sending it back because you didn't know what you were buying.

Helbro, twaffle, josefn24 and 23 others like this.
  5. Arwen1506 Eclair Jun 19, 2016

twaffle, Twiz1, doomsknight and 18 others like this.
  6. SimonFullerImagery Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2016

twaffle, u_proprio, patrice58 and 2 others like this.
  7. bloooow Froyo Jun 19, 2016

bloooow, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Also what made you think that anybody care for your sorrows? You dont add anything to the community just stupid talk. So u were sitting and all of sudden you decided to return phone u didny even received? And then you made this post? What is the POINT?!

8. enodekciw Froyo Jun 19, 2016

enodekciw, Jun 19, 2016 :
    How does loop experience, weird decisions, postal service and shipping impact the quality of the phone?

run_dkc, twaffle, u_proprio and 13 others like this.
  9. Franjo Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2016

Franjo, Jun 19, 2016 :
    So if you did not know anything about it, why buy it?! And you did not say anything about faulty phone...pointless thread

u_proprio, otto2, Joyyy and 1 other person like this.
  10. joshuaalex Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

joshuaalex, Jun 19, 2016 :
    I believe you point about bands and shipping are invalid, neither are at the fault of Oneplus and surely you were aware of these before you bought them, as well as the fact you've already paid for the shipping, so I can't see your problem there?

As for the battery life, it had been widely documented in testing that the battery for exceeds the oneplus 2, despite it having 9% less battery capacity. This is due to the fact it has a far more efficient processor, an amoled display and a dark mode, as well as a host of battery saving adjustments from stock android.

A thinner phone was a design choice that I'm sure you were aware of before buying, and I may be the only one here but having a camera bump makes absolutely no difference, and thought that the Op2 was too thick for my liking.

Finally, post service is the strangest reason to not want a phone. Only open one ticket at a time, I have no idea why you thought spamming them would help, of course they would only answer the first one.

They will respect your decision to return it, but I do wonder why you won't try it from things you've heard on the Internet, rather than seeing how you, yourself, will like it.

Please be more informed when you buy phones in the future, you create a lot of hard work through your own lack of research or critical thinking.

twaffle, otto2, janguv and 3 others like this.
  11. Keshiji Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Keshiji, Jun 19, 2016 :
    I did know in general what I was buying but the reasons that I wrote are why I'm deciding to return it and I think they are valid.

The phone is good but some details are lacking... and I blindly trusted OnePlus. I should've waited till the full technical sheet was out before making my purchase but couldn't contain myself and now I'm writing all this and hoping OnePlus might actually read it and see why they lost one customer who blindly trusted them but did wrong at doing it!

Pratish Pomal and barb like this.
  12. TILAK92 Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

13. theapu Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2016

theapu, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Definitely a premeditated apple/Samsung fan boy who wrote this post even before he bought op3.

14. becauseimmanual Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2016

becauseimmanual, Jun 19, 2016 :
    There was a poll back when the OP3 was still just an idea, and one of the questions asked users how thick they wanted their new phone: I guess most of them replied with a "7/8mm thick".

15. Keshiji Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Keshiji, Jun 19, 2016 :
    I said the phone is good, but there are details which made me want to return it and I'm sharing my experience here so OP maybe can see it! After all... they hear their customers, right? ;)

16. mrcndr82 Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

mrcndr82, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Sometimes I think people just need to grow up...

17. Jacky444 Froyo Jun 19, 2016

Jacky444, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Yeah some people really have nothing better to do in their lives... I actually prefer 1080P over 2K.

Not a single reason you wrote actually makes any sense to return the phone...

18. SimonFullerImagery Jelly Bean Jun 19, 2016

SimonFullerImagery, Jun 19, 2016 :
    Only when the customer makes sense.

twaffle likes this.
  19. varunsur Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

varunsur, Jun 19, 2016 :
    You had a bad day! Stop blaming it on the phone!

twaffle and otto2 like this.
  20. Keshiji Gingerbread Jun 19, 2016

Keshiji, Jun 19, 2016 :
    It's not, as it's a source of feedback for OnePlus. They can take it or leave it!

Bands and shipping issues weren't known till the launch and I bought it during the Loop (at that time ALL the technical details were inaccessible as they showed the countdown timer.

Like I said in my original post I know the OP3 has a better SoT compared to the OP2 but more battery would've been great! And no, I didn't know having a more thin phone was a design choice because when I started to search for information about the phone nothing like that showed up.

Also, I just opened one ticket in the end (which is the request to return the phone). All the other attempts were on live chat and all of them for different reasons (and on top of that, they are still supposed to answer them).

As I said, my reasons don't question the phone itself as I know it's well made and it's a good machine but the information I could gather wasn't enough as there wasn't enough available as well. I also think I did enough research (I've been looking for news about the phone for more than one month before it's release and I really wanted an OPO when it came out, but couldn't get it)

I think my biggest mistake was to blindly trust OP. I should've waited to buy the phone after the loop (even if there was a chance of stock running out which I did not want to risk) but I would've been able to see all the final features and technical details and I would've avoided the issues that plagued my purchase during the loop).

Anyway, I'm writing this so maybe OP will see why I decided to return it and maybe... just maybe see a change for OP4.