Importance of the audio chip, any audiophiles here?

1. kazater
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2014

2. logikk
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

3. sporksnail
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2014

sporksnail , May 21, 2014 :
    I would class myself as an audiophile, but the only time I really play music on my phone is while driving. With the road and engine noise I'm not likely to notice any quality difference as long as the output is semi-decent.

4. Haverholm
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

Haverholm , May 21, 2014 :
    Ah, that might be the case. I wasn't completely sure what to make of it myself, honestly, as "audio chip" is a bit vague... :p

5. tri1168
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

AngelArs likes this.
  6. Gaaz
    Eclair May 21, 2014

Gaaz , May 21, 2014 :
    Listening to music is in my top 3 smartphone activies. For instance, to me sound quality is ahead of camera quality (Plus, I can't plug a real zoom on a smartphone anyway...) and I actually spent more on headsets than on smartphones (though I had a bunch of nice smartphones...).

I don't know much about smartphones'audio components, but I can tell when hardware and/or software sounds bad, nice, or awesome. Thus, I'd be very disappointed if the One has terrible audio...

7. logikk
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

logikk , May 21, 2014 :
    So incredibly vague lol.

8. Gaaz
    Eclair May 21, 2014

Gaaz , May 21, 2014 :
    From what I heard, the Qualcoom DAC goes up to 24bits/192Khz but it's not just the DAC it's mainly the OS that downsamples. Can someone confirm ?

9. logikk
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

logikk , May 21, 2014 :
    They're not going to downsample the headphone output...there's literally no reason to do that. Bluetooth audio is probably downsampled though since it is wireless streaming.

Haverholm likes this.
  10. Gaaz
    Eclair May 21, 2014

Gaaz , May 21, 2014 :
    I did read it was downsampled on most Android OS for compatibility reasons. That's why I'm asking. But since Cyanogen made a specific version for the One, it could be different (or totally false, again, I'm just asking)

11. agazza
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

12. agazza
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

agazza , May 21, 2014 :
    not
    not the latest standard bluetooth

logikk likes this.
  13. Kryptonyte
    Eclair May 21, 2014

Kryptonyte , May 21, 2014 :
    I bought my s2 because of the wolfson audio chip it had, so good audio is certainly a consideration for me. However, I don't think we're going to get Audiophile quality on a phone like this, or most any other phone. As far as considerations go for the mass market, it's kind of an oddity. Usually most companies try to aim for good enough, and if audio is one of their selling points, then they try to over extend bass to appeal to the masses, which the Oneplus does with it's on board audio suite.

Steve Guttenburg at Cnet did a piece on audio quality on phones sometime ago. I believe at the time he concluded that the iphone was the best listening experience. Having listened to the thing quite a bit, I can pretty safely say that if that's the best, then there really isn't an audiophile standard machine on the phone market. Which does beg the question, when is someone going to make a phone for audiophiles?

14. logikk
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

logikk , May 21, 2014 :
    I do not know for sure...it is just my guess. You make good points though.

15. logikk
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

logikk , May 21, 2014 :
    The issue is that a phone that was truly built for audiophiles would be massively expensive and probably thick to have proper circuitry. Also, there is only a very small market for expensive audiophile products.

16. shigure
    Froyo May 21, 2014

shigure , May 21, 2014 :
    The audio chip is very important to me and the LG G2 was only let down by the fact that you could only seem to get the 16GB model everywhere... Can't put many large Flac files on that...

17. Kryptonyte
    Eclair May 21, 2014

Haverholm likes this.
  18. donalgodon
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2014

donalgodon , May 21, 2014 :
    The Wolfson DAC in the Samdung Galaxy S3 is why I still have the device!

Bakerjoker likes this.
  19. Haverholm
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

20. coolsayak
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

coolsayak , May 21, 2014 :
    I heard Yamaha DAC isnt that good btw. I would classify myself as an audiophile but not a phone audio one. But I guess since its custom designed for the OPO it should be decent.