[IMPORTANT] Emergency Call Issue Resolved – What we learned.

1. OmegaHsu OxygenOS Team Staff Member Jul 25, 2017

OmegaHsu, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Friends,

Last week, we received distressing news regarding an issue related to dialing an emergency number on the OnePlus 5. Late last week an update was released to resolve the issue. We would like to provide additional information on the emergency call issue.

The source of this issue was related to a modem memory usage issue that triggered a reboot. This reboot was a random occurrence for some users on VoLTE network where OTDOA protocol was triggered when placing an emergency call.

We have worked with our partners at Qualcomm to resolve this issue globally.

To clarify, this occurred only on some OnePlus 5 devices, in random instances under the circumstances described above. Starting last Friday, we rolled out a software update that resolved this issue.

We took this extremely seriously and want to thank the users who provided device logs to help us quickly resolve it.

Never Settle.

2. keithnyc Lollipop Moderator Jul 25, 2017

Peshyy, marc_mib, jtmf and 12 others like this.
  3. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 25, 2017

youbi, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Thanks for the quick fix, and for the transparency and honesty about what happened.

I hope this sets a trend for the future. :)

4. OALEXANDER Indian POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 25, 2017

OALEXANDER, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Thank you for the announcement explaining the root cause and working on releasing a quick fix to resolve the issue.

5. Mr. Vandelay Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2017

SanjayShere, kevonn95 and lostLambda like this.
  6. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 25, 2017

youbi, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Can you explain exactly why would this be narcissism? :confused: Personally I feel this is about transparency. And that's something most users around here would agree that Oneplus could improve. ;)

It just reminds me of this. :p :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

7. Mr. Vandelay Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2017

Mr. Vandelay, Jul 25, 2017 :

[​IMG]

daltocs, remedy, kevonn95 and 5 others like this.
  8. jpswer Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2017

jpswer, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Great job rolling it out so quickly. Hope Qualcomm can implement to avoid with other vendors in future. Love the transparency, as others have said hope it continues ;) also love the technical detail which the geek in me appreciates.

9. mr_priyanshu Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2017

mr_priyanshu, Jul 25, 2017 :
    While we are on Emergency call topic I might add one more thing..

For Indian users of OP3, OP3T & OP5 the double press to open camera doesn't work, while triple press triggers Emergency call. Any plans to add that camera opening functionality again ?

10. Mr. Vandelay Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2017

Mr. Vandelay, Jul 25, 2017 :
    For all India region devices, it is a legal regulation to launch “emergency /SOS mode” when clicking power button three times. This overlaps the use case of camera quick launch when double clicking the power button. Since consumers may click power button for three times instead of twice, by any mistake, so they did not include quick launch camera feature within India regional device.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/emergency-affordance

Same with S8 devices too

11. pojr Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2017

pojr, Jul 25, 2017 :
    I'm glad this was addressed immediately. This wasn't just a silly update, but a necessity. Thank you.

SoniaB and youbi like this.
  12. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 25, 2017

youbi, Jul 25, 2017 :
    If that "pretending" is doing like in this case (fast fix after the issue was known, and then a detailed explaining about what was happening by someone from the Dev team), then I can definitely live with it... ;)

Alooof, joaohalmeida, nyloxy and 5 others like this.
  13. Shubhmit23 Gingerbread Jul 25, 2017

Shubhmit23, Jul 25, 2017 :
    its just a curse of your old customers.. hehehe.. .remember that

14. Wahoux KitKat Jul 25, 2017

Mr. Vandelay likes this.
  15. Nithin_Joseph Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2017

Nithin_Joseph, Jul 25, 2017 :
    While I do appreciate them giving an "explanation" as to what caused this serious issue,
    based on a customer perspective, and also based on the limited experience I have dealing with business clients,
    giving a reasoning for a serious flaw which they (Oneplus) made does not, in any way, make them less guilty nor justified.

Mainly because the majority of customers would have no clue whatsoever on the technical issues involved, and hence providing one does not add any value whatsoever.

All that would matter is them owning up to their screw-up, rather than providing a justification for it.
    This could've been communicated more gracefully. :)

Santanurocks and malidan like this.
  16. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 25, 2017

youbi, Jul 25, 2017 :
    In that point I disagree, since we are talking about this forum, and not the common social networks. And this community was started and grew because of the geeks like us that like to know more about the technical part of stuff. :p :D

Its like @jpswer said here.

And this is what you got, a "geek" Admin explaining to the rest of us geeks what happened. And I do love the transparency and caring about the geek community that this represents. :)

17. Nithin_Joseph Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2017

Nithin_Joseph, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Haha yeah, true that. I was talking from a more general standpoint. :)
    You're right in that aspect.

Let's see how they're gonna communicate this on other channels.

youbi likes this.
  18. mr_priyanshu Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2017

mr_priyanshu, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Bummer.
    Gestures only smh

G_plusone likes this.
  19. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 25, 2017

Dunnow, Jul 25, 2017 :
    Transparency would mean putting on the frontpage a "we will not fix camera hal for the x and the 2 will not get nougat"

Not only self praising posts...

But the nougat thing is burried deep down a few pages in a burried down thread that was promised to be replied within a week of its inception and the hal thing has not even been named again since promised...

So... If its not for the good and the bad... Where is the transparency exactly?

20. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 25, 2017

Dunnow, Jul 25, 2017 :
    I would like an explaination on why the op2 heats up while idle and where does the drain come from. Also, how can a laser assisted camera not focus would be amazing to know...