[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. jansvanda
    Honeycomb Mar 14, 2018

jansvanda , Mar 14, 2018 :
    I suppose this patch won't get overriden by deleting system or data

2. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Mar 14, 2018

3. miskobartanus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 14, 2018

miskobartanus , Mar 14, 2018 :
    I was thinking the same thing, but so far nobody confirmed this information for sure and I'm really thinking about sending my OP5 so they can install that patch, but then I'm kinda afraid of losing it after completely wiping the whole phone and flashing stuff.

jansvanda likes this.
  4. Kiekos
    Gingerbread Mar 14, 2018

Kiekos , Mar 14, 2018 :
    It's 100% possible. OnePlus just doesn't meet the prerequisites in order to be able to.

Please stop spreading false information. It is possible to upgrade Widevine via OTA.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

5. jkb114
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2018

6. Kiekos
    Gingerbread Mar 14, 2018

7. jkb114
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2018

jkb114 , Mar 14, 2018 :
    So its not :
    It's only 100% possible if you meet the requirements, which oneplus devices don't so it's not 100% possible its 0% possible
    so kindly:
    and missleading people

8. jkb114
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2018

jkb114 , Mar 14, 2018 :
    Ps. that was a sneaky edit of the post. we can all see you changed it when caught out. ;)

9. Kiekos
    Gingerbread Mar 14, 2018

Kiekos , Mar 14, 2018 :
    Excuse me, but what is your problem? :D There's nothing wrong in saying that there is a possibility. You may not meet the requirements, but you still have the ability to. OnePlus doesn't meet the prerequisites, so they cannot or even don't want to do it. What you said is completely wrong, however. The nature of the upgrade has nothing to do with the ability to roll this out as OTA.

If you didn't notice, the edit was there to include a response from another user. Also the mobile app for OnePlus Community tends to remove quoting altogether, so I fixed it on my PC. The post is back to it's original form, the one you quoted.

EDIT: Stop nitpicking if you're not in the right (regarding the edit).

10. jkb114
    Lollipop Mar 14, 2018

jkb114 , Mar 14, 2018 :
    it's very misleading to say that they could do it, they can't it requires a feature built into the core of the phone, something that would need to be installed at the factory or at a trusted pc.
    The edit was to tweak your response to me. Both quotes existed before and after the edit

11. Kiekos
    Gingerbread Mar 14, 2018

Kiekos , Mar 14, 2018 :
    I accidentally copied the second quote over the response to you. I fixed it as soon as I noticed it. I can't understand why you're making such a big deal out of this. ;)

12. rk96
    Froyo Mar 14, 2018

rk96 , Mar 14, 2018 :
    Miracast has always been an unstable feature and depends on the connection. The usual DRM stuff as advised above wont at all affect the quality.
    Miracast in my tv with the 5t works fine.
    Try standing closer to your tv

13. ableeker
    Cupcake Mar 14, 2018

ableeker , Mar 14, 2018 :
    I notified OnePlus on Saturday, March the 3rd, and - perhaps naively - assumed that UPS would pick up the phone by Monday, so I should easily have it back upgraded by Friday. That didn't happen. Something apparently did go wrong, because by Wednesday, after waiting 48 hours for the label, I contacted Support and was told that I should have received the label, and the tracking number by then. Support contacted Poland, and Poland sent the label by email (again) that Wednesday. I got it this time, and fortunately things did move faster after that. The phone was indeed picked up by UPS on Thursday. it arrived in Poland on Friday, was upgraded on Monday, handed over to UPS that same day, I got the tracking number that day, and the phone was delivered by Tuesday.
    So upgrading it was done quite fast, but I believe picking it up took longer than it should have. The upgrade itself took 4 business days, but picking it up took 3 business days, I was a bit disappointed with that.
    And, yes, it's Widevine Level 1 now! I'm happy with that.

Kiekos likes this.
  14. Jon_Adams
    Froyo Mar 15, 2018

Jon_Adams , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Wouldn't casting Netflix or downloading something in high quality get around this?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

15. gmavridis
    Froyo Mar 15, 2018

gmavridis , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Casting, yes, because the stream in handled by eg. chromecast which is an HD capable device.
    Downloading, no, since you are still refering to an non L1 device.

16. X1517396854503
    Honeycomb Mar 15, 2018

17. sr1v3r
    Cupcake Mar 15, 2018

sr1v3r , Mar 15, 2018 :
    My experience:

Contacted OnePlus on Saturday, March 10th. In the same day I got the email with the label to print. Monday, March 12th in the morning an UPS guy arrived at my home to pick up the package. Because I wasn't contacted first, I didn't have the phone ready so the UPS guy told me that he will come back the next day to pick it up. Next day, Tuesday, March 13th, the same UPS guy picked up the package in the morning. The phone arrived at CTDI the next day, Wednesday, March 14th and was repaired and shipped in the same day. Today, Thursday, March 15th I got the phone back, upgraded with Widevine L1.

So, for me I only stayed without a phone for two days. Pretty quick IMO.

Good Job OnePlus ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

Kiekos likes this.
  18. Slash1909
    Gingerbread Mar 15, 2018

Slash1909 , Mar 15, 2018 :
    Yeah I saw. I sent mine to another country. I would say just send it out. Its not that far.

19. ram4life
    Gingerbread Mar 15, 2018

ram4life , Mar 15, 2018 :
    can anyone with the widevine DRM update AND Oxygen OS Beta 4 confirm L1 is present and working?
    I'm asking because I got the update, installed Oxygen OS Beta 3 (before 4came out) and I wasn't able to have L1 on the beta build until I downgraded to the stable build. I don't want to wipe my device and update to the beta again if it's still not working.

20. Kiekos
    Gingerbread Mar 15, 2018

Kiekos , Mar 15, 2018 :
    This has been answered both here and in the OB4 megathread. L1 is supported.

ram4life likes this.