[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. amar228
    Donut Dec 12, 2017

amar228 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    hey don't worry HD support update is on its way.

2. loco-cork
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

loco-cork , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Hey ... looking at your profile ... no dishonor ... but you don't look like Oneplus staff.
    I won't be worried (as probably everyone here) if there is an official statement from Oneplus.

3. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 12, 2017

Radeon962 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    How do they "forget about it" since it has been missing since the OnePlus One and they have known about it since at least the OnePlus 3.

Now that it is getting exposed by mainstream web sites there may be some more effort to correct it but with OnePlus don't hold your breath for a quick fix.

4. loco-cork
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

Just got a reply to my support ticket.

'OnePlus Customer Support (OnePlus)

Dec 12, 20:02 CST

Hello ****,

Thank you for reaching out to OnePlus customer support. This is **** and I will be responding to your ticket. I know how important it is to enjoy the full HD capabilities of your phone when watching a movie. I'll be glad to provide you the details towards this matter.

I'd like to let you know that we will be implementing Widevine Level 1 DRM on the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. As to when this will be implemented, we still have no updates of the timeline and the details. I want you to know that I totally respect your decision if you want to push through with the return process. Do let me know if you want to proceed with the return process so I can properly assist you.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

OnePlus Customer Support'

Matuki536 and Ed_88 like this.
  5. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

Ed_88 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Thanks, yeah I saw the news on GSMarena. However several users here weren't sure if that was authentic or hersay as no sources were given.
    Also a guy above contacted support and they seemed clueless.

I probably wouldn't mind as much as others as I mainly use Youtube but still, I do watch Amazon prime from time to time.
    I hope it's true :D

Edit: nvm, the reply above mine has a confirmation :)

6. vtwalk75
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

vtwalk75 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Thanks, saw it last night. the video is still very good but I agree that current tunes calls for hd as a standard for good quality phones and smart devices.

7. rjmagoo
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

rjmagoo , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I've just had the following response from support, different response to loco-cork:

'Thank you for reaching out OnePlus Customer Support. This is ********* and I will be handling your ticket today.

I understand that you were unable to watch HD on Netflix. As of now, we currently are not supporting Netflix and Widevine Lv1. With this, please know that with our customers feedback, we will keep on improving our devices in the near future as we move forward.

Hoping for your understanding regarding this matter.'

Doesn't even say they will definitely be supporting it in an update!

8. loco-cork
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

Bummer ... back to square one.

Can someone, actually in position to represent Oneplus, provide us here with an official response to this matter?

9. Dimitri Hubeau
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

Dimitri Hubeau , Dec 12, 2017 :
    You can always buy a IPhone X (with that "beautiful" nodge, no fingerprint scanner and for only €1159) If you can not live with the difference . ;-) There is no perfect smartphone. OnePlus wil fix it if they can.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017

10. pigr8
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

pigr8 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    no perfect smartphone indeed, but then you have to let the buyers know that the product you sold is far from that, and the Never Settle is a complete bullshit and disrespectful, even worse if you think that you spent 500 cash for it.

and no hardware excuses, it's the same 835 with adreno that other flagship have but they can do it no problem.

sfomin likes this.
  11. Dimitri Hubeau
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

OnePlus wil fix it if they can, relax, this in nothing life
    threatening just a little bug on a smartphone that works perfectly except for this.

12. pigr8
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

pigr8 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    if they don't because they can't is in every way wrong, not matter how you look at it, there is no need from you to minimize.

i could have bought another phone for the same price and same spec that could do this (maybe this is important for me? maybe a deal breaker if I knew if? that's why the never settle slogan is a joke) i could even get a cheapo Motorola that could do such an obvious feature in 2018 - sorry, 2017.

so no flagship killer here.

13. Dimitri Hubeau
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

There is no need for you to blow it up. 1repairable
    bug. that's all. OnePlus wil fix it.

14. pigr8
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

pigr8 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    why don't you understand that this is not a bug? why do you think this is one?

I will save this trust you have and quote you back to apologize when (if) they fix it, for now I'm gonna continue hate them :)

I hope no other shady stuff like this comes out for another random feature that you care about.

T1510957315961 and sfomin like this.
  15. Dimitri Hubeau
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

amar228 said:
    don't worry one plus team working on it. we will get hd support with next update.

Have a Nice day

16. camajise
    Eclair Dec 12, 2017

17. pigr8
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

pigr8 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Oh god.. you quote and trust a random user that reports articles that reports back here without any official statement.

I'm done with you, have a nice day too.

18. T1510957315961
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

19. ImperialCactus
    Donut Dec 12, 2017

ImperialCactus , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Thanks god i didnt buy it..HD streaming was the main reason i was getting the phone.Well a Samsung will be my next phone

20. rasmusj78
    Donut Dec 12, 2017