[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. dhames Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

dhames, Dec 12, 2017 :
    Exactly people don't even read the previous posts and giving their comments

2. Teddykachu Cupcake Dec 13, 2017

Teddykachu, Dec 13, 2017 :
    Hello family "OnePlus" :)

I am a new kid, who joined the troupe this year (with the "OnePlus 5T").

I am a globally happy user, but I admit that this non-compatibility with high definition on protected videos has created a lot of frustration for me ... especially as my withdrawal period is over.

After some exchanges with the support of the brand (by the way, very nice and quick response), they have more or less confirmed in writing an integration of "Widevine Level 1" in a future update for "OnePlus5 "and" 5T "(sorry to the owners of 3 / 3T).
    Now remains to know when?With "Android 8" maybe?

Case to follow :)
    "OnePlus" seems aware that the demand is strong.I thank the support for the answer, but an official announcement on the forum would please everyone, I think.:)

Have a nice day / evening;)

Screenshot :

Croquis.png

3. Radeon962 KitKat Dec 13, 2017

Radeon962, Dec 13, 2017 :
    It's been this way since the OnePlus One so if they haven't "fixed it" in 4 years what makes you think that it is a priority for OnePlus now?

4. Sixie Honeycomb Dec 13, 2017

Sixie, Dec 13, 2017 :
    hell even the issue has been raised through support on OnePlus 3... and 3T and they gave the same answer... guess what? xD i dont see L1 support.. funny how a License Free that is crucial to modern day devices are not implemented by OnePlus... in the end of it, its still a chinese company, so not surprised

ohh and the only reason its now a priority is because of Media.... the news blew up and now mainstream android media/community are publishing articles about it... so many things oneplus does wrong :0 and they keep poping up on the radar

T1510957315961 and Radeon962 like this.
  5. pigr8 Froyo Dec 13, 2017

pigr8, Dec 13, 2017 :
    My better half had a Nexus 5 and a 5x, now she has a Moto g5s plus, it's nearly android stock, has nougat and will be updated to oreo, has a big very nice 1080p screen with nightshift, metal body, good camera, fingerprint, notification led, a big battery with excellent sot, fast charge, and a widevine L1 certification.

for 200€.

now, I had a 6p and switched to 5t, and for 500€ it has not the same feature as her Moto, nougat has stupid bugs like the damn navbar stuck on white instead of stock black, always listening assistant doesn't work while screen is off, doesn't play hd stream on all the platforms with drm requirement but hey, never settle.

never settle what? flagship killer? it doesn't even win against a device that cost less than half the price, and for what? a 2:1 screen? that's all?

I feel fooled by marketing, I hope they get their shit together and fix at least 5 and 5t now that it has been spreaded out, I doubt it will be and surely not in the near future, let's see how they play this hand and if it's true that they listen to the community like they say.

no one of the youtuber reviewers said anything about this, i hope that this will reach them and that they make a video regarding this - and it gets trending as it should - to let other people know before they decide to buy a oneplus.

T1510957315961 likes this.
  6. DaanvdW Donut Dec 13, 2017

DaanvdW, Dec 13, 2017 :
    My view on this topic, happily to read this above. Read all the comments and post. Was shocked to read that my OP3 does not support HD on Netflix, but explains a lot. It was almost like I tought I watched HD because you expect it to be HD.

So I'm thinking of buying a new phone in January and since I'm here since OPO my first tought was OP5t. Then I saw this topic and start doubting between OP5t and Razer Phone. But happily I read all the comments.

@loco-cork Thank you for contacting the support team and giving this answer. Made my mind up :)

To all the people quoting randomly, plz read all the comments.

F3lton likes this.
  7. ImperialCactus Donut Dec 13, 2017

ImperialCactus, Dec 13, 2017 :
    I was going to get the 5t too, and i am on a nexus 6p rigth now. God bless i saw this post and i didnt hit the buy button

8. Levaix Froyo Dec 13, 2017

Levaix, Dec 13, 2017 :
    I had the 1 and I now use the 3, just confirmed it is "only" L3 on the OP3. I have never noticed this in my entire time with either of these phones. Does Chromecast ignore this limitation? I've been using either of those phones for years and years, and have never noticed Chromecasted Netflix/Hulu/Google quality being lower than at least 720p (aside from when my connection is bad and I get pixels and artifacts). This can't be something in a recent update, can it? My only other explanation is that phone screens are so small most people just don't notice a real quality difference.

9. clogger Froyo Dec 13, 2017

clogger, Dec 13, 2017 :
    Not sure about the other services you mentioned but Netflix would be playing at 480p. You don't normally notice a lower standard of resolution until you are able to play the same content with a higher resolution as you just get used to it. The easiest way to test this would be on youtube. Watch something at 480p and then flick it to 1080p and the difference is noticeable, at least on modern large screen devices.
    I think Oneplus tactics on this is just let drag on until it's forgotten about or people are past the deadline for retuning the devices.

10. mannymac25 Eclair Dec 13, 2017

mannymac25, Dec 13, 2017 :
    And you pay to just watch on your phone your TV broken isn't HD there where it really counts you can't really tell difference from 720 and 1080 on the phone screen and 480 is what most cell company allow without charging extra on mobile plan anyway is a simple update patch people just make noise to the company to fix and it will

11. clogger Froyo Dec 13, 2017

clogger, Dec 13, 2017 :
    Personally I would like the choice, if it doesn't bother you thats fine. Netflix etc.. will steam at 480p and the difference between that and HD is IMHO noticeable on large screen devices like the 5T , again if you don't use the services or it doesn't bother you that's great.
    I have no idea how cell coverage is billed where you are but I have 20G of data per month (in my home country) and there is also Wifi everywhere now. So extra bills are not a concern.

As you mentioned if we make noise the company will hopefully fix this issue, that's the whole point of this topic !!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017

T1510957315961 and Buferd like this.
  12. Buferd Cupcake Dec 14, 2017

Buferd, Dec 14, 2017 :
    Yikes. Found this out today... after I already have my 5t (first OnePlus device, haven't switched to it as my main phone yet)o_O
    The fact that even cheap phones like the Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime (free from MetroPCS right now), have L1 (verified with the DRM info app) support, is very head scratching. I agree that a good amount of people won't notice the difference between 480p and 720 or 1080p (when the apps like Netflix or YouTube just selects a resolution) but, I agree with the earlier statement that if you were to do a before and after, most anyone would see the difference (on a high res screen like the 5t). This is part of the reason we purchase these higher end devices instead of just sticking to the cheap/free phones (better screen resolution, DPI and size). For those that don't ingest video through their phones, that's fine. For those of us that do, often or even occasionally enough to care, this is a bigger deal and honestly, shouldn't be acceptable for a modern, flagship phone. Hopefully this is fixed sooner than the Oreo update coming "Early 2018"

T1510957315961 and loco-cork like this.
  13. Mysticreach Froyo Dec 14, 2017

Mysticreach, Dec 14, 2017 :
    OnePlus has already confirmed through main stream media that it is indeed upgrading to widevine L1 support. Just type it into google for confirmation.

14. loco-cork Gingerbread Dec 14, 2017

loco-cork, Dec 14, 2017 :
    Link please ... because most of the articles are based on this thread or the Verge that also quotes this thread.

T1510957315961 and clogger like this.
  15. pigr8 Froyo Dec 14, 2017

pigr8, Dec 14, 2017 :
    not true, no official statement is given :)

16. sugarmice Eclair Dec 14, 2017

sugarmice, Dec 14, 2017 :
    Hello
    This is the answer I received yesterday from the technical support. The say that Oneplus is going to install "Widevine Media Optimizer" :

Bonjour Thierry,

Merci d'avoir contacté le service clientèle OnePlus!
    Nous comprenons que vous voulez savoir si vous aurez la possibilité de lire les vidéos Netflix en HD sur votre OP5T. Nous vous informons que OnePlus installera à l'avenir le plugin“Widewine Media Optimizer” sur l'OP5 et l'OP5T, mais nous n'avons pas d'autres informations officielles.
    Si vous avez d'autres questions ou si vous souhaitez des informations supplémentaires, n'hésitez pas à nous contacter.
    Bonne journée!

Cordialement,
    Sanda
    OnePlus

17. MrCykko Cupcake Dec 14, 2017

MrCykko, Dec 14, 2017 :
    Dude can you translate that for us? What the hell is Widevine Media Optimizer?

18. loco-cork Gingerbread Dec 14, 2017

loco-cork, Dec 14, 2017 :
    Google translator worked perfectly on this.

19. MrCykko Cupcake Dec 15, 2017

MrCykko, Dec 15, 2017 :
    oh duh, I'm an idiot. after translating it myself, it seems like your typical generic response. my second question still stands, does anyone know what it is? I googled it and nothing worthwhile came up

20. G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG Honeycomb Dec 15, 2017

G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG, Dec 15, 2017 :
    the difference between 720p and 1080p is easily distinguishable on the screen with 1080 resolution. The details increases. screen looks clearer. sound quality differs between 720 and 1080.

the ppi density of OnePlus are too low for any flagship killer device. my 4 years old htc one has more ppi than OnePlus 5 and 5t. ppi density also matters a lot for the crisp and clear videos and images.

Buferd likes this.