[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. IiroP.
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Feb 24, 2018

IiroP. , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Probably we should just wait for official announcement about this. We've seen they working on this, so let them do the research about how to fix it.

We'll see what's the result, will we have to send our phones to service center, will it cost something... etc

And overall, we should be happy if there will be some kind of fix; many other phones (Honor8 etc.) have the same issue, but most of them aren't getting any kind of fix.

2. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

jaimejimegon , Feb 24, 2018 :
    I'm sorry you think that way, but think this:
    You go and buy a 2000$ TV with 8K and all technologies you can imagine, but once it's in your home, you realized that the menus are in 8K but everything else is in 480p. It's the same, they didn't advertise that you can see an specific thing in 8K, the screen is there and you can see 8K menus. Is that also OK for you? I don't think so.
    I fortunately searched a lot before buying and found this issue, and I decided to get a phone without HD Netflix support, but they announced that they will include it later, I'm grateful, but they didn't say we must have our devices coming back to wherever they want and I don't think we must be grateful to them for fixing what can be called an issue, because it's a missing feature (even if I am). And I'm sure there are others who bought the firsts phones that found the lack of HD Netflix once they had it, and maybe they would decide not to buy it in that case.
    A company advertises what is interesting for it (have you see a YouTube video in the OnePlus channel about the "oil painting pictures"? Another feature that I accepted but that was not advertised) so the lack of a basic feature like using the hardware you bought mustn't be justified with "didn't advertised".

Londo Mollari and SimonRam like this.
  3. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

I don't think OnePlus is scamming anyone, is just a fix that will require (hope they find another solution) to send our devices back. By now, we don't know anything about the real process, but if they use the same method that they use for sending the phones, it may take 2 or 3 days to get the phone back, and personally, I can live with that even if I don't like it.
    As others users said, other phones don't have L1 and will not have it never, like the Mi Mix 2, that's why I thank OnePlus even if they must included it at release when certification is free.

IiroP. likes this.
  4. MrTalon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

5. SimonRam
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

SimonRam , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Damn, aren't you special?

Yuukyuou likes this.
  6. Sixie
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

Sixie , Feb 24, 2018 :

Thing is though, the WIdevine L1 issue was already there since the birth of OxygenOS, meaning, ever since their own OS was released, they did not include WIdevine L1 support.... guess what... ppl have cried about it since OnePlus One phone, then on OP2, then on 3 and 3T.... and now its 5 and 5T, only difference now is, that this issue got the spotlight on mainstream android media sites...

but I dont expect OnePlus to actually fix this issue in the next 2 maybe 3 months (at the time of my post).
    they are just Lazy to implement this.

Im not sure (someone might need to confirm this for me) I believe that OnePlus One with the Cyanogen OS on it supported Widevind L1... if it actually did, it funny how Oneplus went backwards with this and if they didnt, well Oneplus should jsut implement it :p

negirajan and Mahmoud Mahafdah like this.
  7. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

It's a problem with the device certification, it's not as simple as use a modified APK or a custom ROM, the phone need to pass a Google "exam" and then they allow to include the new DRM level into software. I don't know exactly how they do this, but it's the hardware which get the certification, not the software.

8. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

I'll ask a friend who had the OnePlus One with cyanogen, but I think it hadn't the L1, the certification is not software related (only at least), it's the phone itself which get the certification. Maybe are the hardware and software mixed the ones that are certified, but that will require to certify the device again and again with every update

9. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

izzykasha , Feb 24, 2018 :
    I have an open support case read up a bit so I will update here when oneplus advise of the next step, but they have confirmed at this stage it will have to be posted to them once the service centre is setup to perform this change.

10. Juampe 0611
    Eclair Feb 24, 2018

11. Abhinav Goel
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

Abhinav Goel , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Hello guys,
    any update on when we getting Google Widevine DRM level 1 fix so that op5/T users can stream Netflix and Amazon prime videos in HD?
    Thanks

MessiOTGW likes this.
  12. prajnay0
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 24, 2018

13. Abhinav Goel
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

14. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

15. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

16. izzykasha
    Lollipop Feb 24, 2018

17. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Feb 24, 2018

Stickied Post
    David Y. , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Hi everyone, if you were celebrating Chinese New Year, we hope you had a good holiday. And if you weren’t, we hope you enjoyed it anyway.

We have good news for you on this, we’ve just rolled out a program to update OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T handsets. Due to the security processes involved with updating the devices, we can only deliver the update via a physical connection from an authenticated PC. If you are interested in this update, please contact our CS team for more information.

We’re covering the courier costs for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T customers who would like the update, as you will need to send your device to us to update. We have a process in place which means we’ll have your handset back to you in no more than five working days from when we receive it. We’ve worked hard to streamline this process as much as possible, and because of this we’re unable to cover the courier costs for customers outside of our service regions, which are North America, Europe, India, and China.

Edit: We understand this isn't the most convenient approach, but due to the technical aspects of Widevine DRM the update must be applied via a physical connection to an authenticated PC.

18. Fernando_G_Joao
    Gingerbread Feb 24, 2018

19. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Feb 24, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Feb 24, 2018 :
    According to their support, you can submit it and they will update it via an authorized device as reported by one user. Others have reported the same. Why can't they do it via a software update? The answer is unknown for now.

otto2 likes this.
  20. Abhinav Goel
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

Abhinav Goel , Feb 24, 2018 :
    well sucks for me then as I'm in Australia and they don't have single service centre over here