[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Feb 24, 2018

MentalDraco , Feb 24, 2018 :
    Oooo.... OnePlus what bold new way to piss of customers and lose more are you going to think of next?

And here I thought abandoning old devices, losing people's credit card information, f-ing up the camera software turning pictures into oil paintings, putting software from hydrogen OS into oxygen that tries to take data, ignoring the questions about the REQUIRED Mkey so you added to India and then pulled it out quickly in 5.0.3 that REQUIRED app.

Well it sure seems you are working hard on finding new ways on annoying customers. And damn your doing a good job at that, some people on the team deserve a raise.

2. Sixie
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

Sixie , Feb 24, 2018 :
    then again, it could also be a solution Oneplus is willing to do, but at the same time, is this really the solution? feels like a way to solve the problem by scaring customers xD or demotivating owners to NOT send the device... because of how the solution is, and if one do decide to send it, they will regardless, fix it :p

Chungtd and Londo Mollari like this.
  3. Cliff123
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2018

Cliff123 , Feb 24, 2018 :
    I ordered my OP5T one week ago, received it 4 days ago and the patch is not applied.

Rahul_FCB likes this.
  4. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 24, 2018

jaimejimegon , Feb 24, 2018 :
    I agree the solution could be another problem for some, but again, at least we have the option to fix it (which any other brand must have offered).
    Again, they have must sent the phone with L1 at release, it's OnePlus fault, and they are doing what they have to do, we don't have to thank anything, but maybe they could send a spare phone (3 or 3T) while they are working on our phones for those who need it. I'm sure that option would be very appreciated.

5. KamranMackey
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

KamranMackey , Feb 24, 2018 :
    The fact that Widevine L1 certification requires a hardware encryption key to be installed DIRECTLY from the factory or secure PCs means that they need you to send your phone in. They can't just do it via a software update.

Taken from Google's Widevine DRM PDF:

"The Widevine keybox must be encrypted with a device-unique secret key that is not visible to software or probing methods outside of the TrustZone. The Widevine key-box must be installed in the factory or delivered to the device using an approved secure delivery mechanism."

Chungtd and Xavierpony like this.
  6. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Feb 24, 2018

And how dose this make it any more convenient that you have to send your phone off for 1 week ? I know apps like Netflix are niche, only very very few people use it right :D so OP could never have foreseen this issue.

7. G_Joao_Cruz_BLFQ
    Eclair Feb 24, 2018

8. KamranMackey
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

Not going to happen. They can't implement everything Widevine Level 1 needs through a software update. It needs to be done through an authenticated PC.
    Doesn't make it any more convenient, but it's just how things work. While I wish it wasn't the case where I have to send my phone into OnePlus to get Level 1 certification either, I'll do it when I find the time.

9. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Feb 24, 2018

Aaa but what if they will do it only for a limited time after this announcement :D wouldn't that be fun.

10. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Feb 24, 2018

SimonRam likes this.
  11. KamranMackey
    Donut Feb 24, 2018

Then whatever. I'll live without the L1 certification. I only watch Netflix every so often on my phone anyways. I usually watch Netflix on my PC or TV.

12. nyzproof333
    KitKat Feb 24, 2018

nyzproof333 , Feb 24, 2018 :
    This is comical. I also wonder why you didnt throw in the tag “Never Settle” at the end of your post?

Another bullseye One Plus. :D

13. olsonNOTperrensen
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2018

14. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Feb 25, 2018

Hydra Bob , Feb 25, 2018 :
    Nonsense yes, but because they should have planned for this ahead of time. Google won't allow them to patch Widevine L1 OTA and Project Treble could in theory but could also wind up hard bricking thousands of devices in the process and turn into an even bigger fiasco. Not trying to defend them or anything, just saying.

15. theovermind
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2018

theovermind , Feb 25, 2018 :
    I just placed a couple orders for phones a few hours ago from my wife's account and mine. I expect them to be shipped with the update, otherwise it'd be nonsense to have to send them back from day one.

Clamingle likes this.
  16. Brian Cohen
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2018

Brian Cohen , Feb 25, 2018 :
    If I were you I'd cancel them and wait for an official response as to whether the fix is on every new device or not.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  17. nickhell
    Gingerbread Feb 25, 2018

nickhell , Feb 25, 2018 :
    Really pissed off about this "solution". I just hope those guys at XDA find a better way to update.

Xavierpony likes this.
  18. alogim
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2018

alogim , Feb 25, 2018 :
    I do not need this fix, but I hope for all the ones who need it that someone finds out a better way to accomplish this thing.

Also, in my humble opinion, for the new purchases, this update should be preinstalled.

Clamingle likes this.
  19. alogim
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2018

alogim , Feb 25, 2018 :
    Yeah, definitely wait for an official response. Otherwise you might end up with two "old" devices.

20. jaimejimegon
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2018

jaimejimegon , Feb 25, 2018 :
    The devices stocked will be shipped with L3, they won't open phones before sending them to buyers, new ones will have factory flashed the new update (almost sure) so I'd wait some time to buy it if it was me