[IMPORTANT] OnePlus 5T does not support HD viewing for Netflix, Google Play Movies, etc

1. whatthefunk
    Eclair Dec 4, 2017

whatthefunk , Dec 4, 2017 :
    Possibly, I have no idea what getting it certified involves but as far as I'm aware there aren't any OnePlus devices that have L1 cert, never mind just the 5 and 5T! Let's just hope they fix it soon, treble support wouldn't be too bad either...

2. Mysticreach
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

Mysticreach , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Long short it involves applying for it. There is some coding like anything else but it apparently has never been done by oneplus. Netflix also requires a separate device test to get there certification. Also not done. Oneplus makes great devices but drops the ball on the implementation in this.

3. Quantificateur
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

Quantificateur , Dec 5, 2017 :
    I don't think so, because Oneplus 3/3T and 5 are in same case

4. Huigiebaby
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2017

Huigiebaby , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Isn't that the reason they are cheaper then everyone else? Certification costs money...

Radeon962 likes this.
  5. Sehgal. aditya07
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2017

Sehgal. aditya07 , Dec 5, 2017 :
    i just asked the support if there will be any update to certification L1 and yhey said NO so no hope of hd

Quantificateur likes this.
  6. Mysticreach
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

from what I can tell it's pretty SOP for any business to do what they ask... http://www.widevine.com/cwip/
    as for actual cost of maintenance through employee training that cost is near impossible to calculate without having the employee data from the company. It just sounds like they are not interested in going through the legal system to get theirs in which case no L1.

7. Mysticreach
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

Not "no hope" Netflix could choose to recognize OnePlus through devise testing but that seems unlikely if Oneplus doesn't request it. From what I'm reading about widevine they do make exceptions.

8. Mysticreach
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

Yes, the more I read about the the L1 certificate the more I think its is more (I dont care) rather than rush.

9. clogger
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

clogger , Dec 5, 2017 :
    IMHO it's a poor show, It could have been forgivable in the past but now with the a large screen HD device like 5 & 5T that can't stream HD content it's not forgivable, it's not only Netflix, there are plenty of other channels that use this system. On this front One+ need to up there game.

Yuukyuou and T1510957315961 like this.
  10. pkair
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2017

pkair , Dec 5, 2017 :
    If you are watching old shows on Netflix they will not be HD even if you watch it on 4K display because when those shows were recorded there was no HD term haha and in order to make it HD they will have to re-record all the episodes and it is a lot of money and some actors are note alive anymore. Also if you have poor internet connection Netflix will not be able to stream HD. Overall I like what I see when I am watching shows/movies on Netflix on my OP5T. I can't tell if it is HD but it looks fine to me.

Sam Nakamura likes this.
  11. Moreno_Lisboa_Lioganos
    Eclair Dec 5, 2017

12. clogger
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

clogger , Dec 5, 2017 :
    First off it's not just netflix, and yes I am aware if I watch re-runs of Friends it wont be in HD on any device, thanks for clearing that up !! lol

I travel all over the world and in this day and age, internet streaming speeds is not an issue.

If you are happy not being able to watch streaming content in HD that's cool, for me that is whole point in having these newer devices that are huge. !!!

When you watch Youtube do you select the best resolution possible or do you choose 480p ? I am pretty sure you choose 1080p, why wouldn't you want this for services you actually pay for ?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

13. Stuiooffujf
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2017

Tokkan likes this.
  14. pkair
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2017

pkair , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Well YouTube has option to choose the resolution but Netflix doesn't. So I assume it is not OP issue it is Netflix but who knows. I am not here to defend or judge anyone just sharing my opinion and experience.

TrixXxAs likes this.
  15. clogger
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

clogger , Dec 5, 2017 :
    It's a One plus issue, have you even read through the discussion here before you posted ? and it is not only Netflix, it applies to other streaming services.

I mentioned Youtube because you said you are happy to watch Netflix which is a service that costs money in SD but I bet you watch content on Youtube in the best resolution possible to take advantage of the 5T's screen and YT is free.

KriplingeL likes this.
  16. Safc42
    Cupcake Dec 5, 2017

Safc42 , Dec 5, 2017 :
    I'm shocked to find this out also.
    I have just replaced my 3T with the 5T and am disgusted that this isn't able to stream HD.

I had wondered why my Netflix didn't seem very clear.

And to think that Oneplus's motto is "Never Settle".

Oneplus, You need to get this resolved Asap.

17. pigr8
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

18. theinvid
    Froyo Dec 5, 2017

19. pkair
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2017

pkair , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Chill bro :D agree it could be better and hopefully it will be

20. determinator
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 5, 2017

determinator , Dec 5, 2017 :
    Yeah another case of settling...

It is a rather big deal, I'd say. Especially given OnePlus' stealth move on this one. Talking about cutting corners...

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out!