Improve COS 13 battery life [root]

1. breeze
    Gingerbread May 8, 2016

breeze , May 8, 2016 :
    So I've just updated to COS 13 2JK from 44S. As you might recall, the Google Play Service battery drain issue was supposed to be fixed a while ago. But since 44S predated this, I had to manually fix the problem on every reboot. Otherwise I would get pretty fast battery drain.

So I was quite looking forward to not having to do this after updating to 2JK. But unfortunately 2JK seems to be still using battery quite quickly. So I looked into this a little and found that the fix Cyanogen committed seems to have missed enabling the SystemUpdateService components in Google Service Framework. This was one of the components I had to enable on every reboot in 44S. So I know this was causing the battery drain. And after re-enabling it, the battery life seems to have improved significantly.

Screenshot_20160508-030609.png

The SystemUpdateService components cannot be enabled unless you have root. But I thought I would share this since this is one of the root cause of the Google Play Service battery drain, according to Calkulin at xda developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/one...mod-google-play-services-update-wake-t3078082.

I've created a bug report for this. Please vote if you want this fixed permanently for non-root users as well. https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-4863

Cheers

2. sevise
    Donut May 8, 2016

3. lukie257
    Honeycomb May 8, 2016

4. mshahmoo
    Honeycomb May 9, 2016

mshahmoo , May 9, 2016 :
    In the last couple of weeks I tried twice to switch from 44s to cos13. After using 13 for a few hours I reverted back to 44s.
    What is your impression?

5. breeze
    Gingerbread May 10, 2016

breeze , May 10, 2016 :
    Not sure what you are asking. But I use MyAndroidTools with root to enable SystemUpdateService.

lukie257 likes this.
  6. breeze
    Gingerbread May 10, 2016

breeze , May 10, 2016 :
    I think it's not too bad. Things are a lot smoother. It almost feels like a new phone again. And the battery life is not that much worse after enabling SystemUpdateService. If you are not rooted and therefore can't fix the SystemUpdateService thing, then I'd say 2JK is probably better than 44S in battery if you leave it as is. But with the root fix, then 44S is still better.

The reason I wanted to update to Marshmallow is because lately I am noticing a lot of apps are starting to become less supported / compatible with KitKat and I am getting more crashes. So I thought I'd give 2JK a try. But I was actually surprised at how well things turn out with a dirty update (using the full signed zip) directly from 44S to 2JK. I didn't do anything special other than wiping the cache, resetting Trebuchet and removing all the MS bloat. Everything seems to work just as before. And the apps that used to have problems now seem to work better too.

However I am just starting to notice the wifi wakelock problem. But that's a Marshmallow issue not unique to the OPO. And I think there are workarounds for this.

So overall I think I would keep this because the benefits of new features and stability seem to outweigh the slight decrease in battery life for me.

7. Airbag888
    Eclair May 10, 2016

Airbag888 , May 10, 2016 :
    I feel so stupid for not unlocking and rooting my phone when I got it a few months after launch... now I can't titaniumbackup or nandroid.. well done me. and it's my daily driver, used a lot for work, battery life is almost inexistent. I get around 1h30-2h SOT. Data all day, emails, a bit of jurassic world (15mins max) slight browsing, some music streaming here and there (latest radiohead rocks)

I can't bring myself to redo it all, new kid sucks up almost all my free time.

GongYin likes this.
  8. lukie257
    Honeycomb May 11, 2016

lukie257 , May 11, 2016 :
    Oh I see thanks :)
    I thought we had to flash the play services framework in from what you linked us to.

9. paultruland
    Gingerbread May 23, 2016

paultruland , May 23, 2016 :
    after making this change, will i still want to keep privacy guard on for play services?

10. breeze
    Gingerbread May 23, 2016

breeze , May 23, 2016 :
    No, you don't need it if you have the root fix.

11. niTe_RiDeR_Pro
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 24, 2016

niTe_RiDeR_Pro , May 24, 2016 :
    Voted. Thanks for bringing it up.