Improved Camera Performance for OnePlus 9/9 Pro

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Jun 18, 2021

Gary C. , Jun 18, 2021 :
    Hi friends,

Some of you might have noticed that we have made further optimizations to the camera performance in our latest system update for the OnePlus 9/9 Pro, in order to provide a more stable and smoother shooting experience.

We hope you like what we've done and would love to know more about your thoughts. In order to make further improvements in the future, we're inviting you to take this survey to help us better understand your feedback. If you're interested, please participate in this Survey.

What kind of improvements have been made specifically? Let us give you a detailed illustration in these three main points - image sharpening, image noise, and Nightscape mode. Take a closer look at the "before and after" photos that we shared below, especially the circled area in the photos.

Image sharpening (100% zoom)

The pictures taken by the optimized camera are more natural, as the sharpness of the images is reduced appropriately.

MicrosoftTeams-image (20).png
    Before
    MicrosoftTeams-image (18).png
    After
    Image noise (142% zoom)
    The image noise is more visible before the camera optimization. However, after it has been adjusted, you can easily notice that the glass in the dark area looks cleaner.

放大142% 暗部噪点.png
    Before
    放大142%  暗部噪点控制1.png
    After
    Image shadow noise (127% zoom)
    After the camera optimization, the shadow area of the person's elbow looks much clearer, and the noise has been significantly reduced.

放大127% 人像暗部噪点前 .png
    Before
    放大127% 人像暗部噪点后.png
    After

Nightscape mode (51% zoom)
    Photos taken using the optimized Nightscape mode have increased contrast, creating a more natural ambience. Also the highlighted white parts of the image are optimized to make the image clearer with more details.

TeamTalk_IMG_2021-06-15-100839.jpg
    Before
    TeamTalk_IMG_2021-06-15-100858.jpg
    After
    This is just a small glimpse of the camera optimizations that we recently implemented. What do you think about this update? Let us know in the comments below or fill out the survey. Your feedback will help us making improvements in the future!

Never Settle​

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021

2. Thundax
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2021

Stickied Post
    Thundax , Jun 20, 2021 :
    First of all, thank you for improving the performance of the camera. I think you are doing a great job!

Here are my two cents of feedback:

16:9 photo mode
    Because I usually am viewing my photos on 16:9 screens, it would be great if shooting 16:9 native photos is possible. This 'issue' keeps you chasing for years now. :)
    And why? I always want to know 100% exactly what I'm photographing from corner to corner. Cropping afterwards results in cropping too much or leaving too much left in the photo when cropping it to 16:9.
    Most other manufacturers like Samsung, Apple and Xiaomi have the ability to shoot 16:9 photos.
    I guess that this issue results in losing more potential buyers than you think.

Crushed shadows/blacks
    In general you are doing a good job, but sometimes the shadows/blacks just 'feel' a little bit too crushed.
    The high dynamic range capability of the OP9P is able to show just a little more shadow detail to make the photo feel less 'cheap contrasty', so make use of that!
    However, the solution is not overbrightening the darker areas too much: I really love good shadows instead of an overprocessed HDR-look which overbrightens everything. But too much black feels unnatural at this time compared to what I'm experiencing in real life.
    It just needs a bit of tweaking.

Purple clipping
    Some dark clipped areas are heavily purple instead of black.
    To show this, try far increasing the gamma of your final low light photo example (in post-editing) and it will show some black and purple clipped areas in the trees.
    Of course some detail is lost because of the limited dynamic range which couses mono color clipped areas; but in my opinion those clipped areas should be black instead of purple because purple is more bothering. Why? Because sometimes it's fun to play in post-processing (with HDR-software for example) and then the purple areas become far too dominant. Also see the next issue on purple.
    Beside that, it's really amazing how much detail in the dark trees is preserved (high dynamic range) which can be brought back to life with only some gamma increase. Superb!

Purple corners
    On night-shot photos with black skies on top, the upper corners of the photo often have a slight purple (vignetting) hue. At first it isn't noticeable and some people just don't see it. But for example, after increasing the gamma in post-editing, it can be seen very clearly. This also can be measured when detecting the RGB-values of those pixels: then the pixels have a higher red and blue value than green (which results in purple). It would be great if this can be detected and be neutralized towards the color of the rest of the sky/no purple hue.

Pro Mode video/Manual EV
    It would be great if it's possible to set up a fixed EV/lightening when capturing a video.
    Now and then when moving the camera to the sky or buildings or road, the lightening/EV changes a lot. For the Auto-mode this is great because you always get the best picture of that moment: Don't change a thing in that mode.
    But for some occasions it would be handy if the lightening isn't automatically changed all the time when moving the camera around; so in my opinion this should be an option. And this together with eventually other Pro-mode features like ISO, shutter speed etc. like on other flagships.
    Next to this, I really do like the video quality of the OnePlus 9 Pro (that might be said too). Also in low light where the camera doesn't overbrighten the scenes like some other phones (unfortunately) do. Continue this great work!

5 minute video recording limit 4k60
    It's still a pity there's a hard 5 minute recording limit; regardless of the temperature of the phone at that moment.
    Of course I understand it's hard for such a small device to perform heavy tasks for a long time, and I don't want to burn my phone at all; so it's good to show warnings and even an auto shutdown when the phone really gets too hot.
    But sometimes 5 minutes is just not enough to capture my scene. I would make the recording limit more dependent on the health/temperature status of the device and no hard 5 minute limit (which now results into me hitting the recording button each time again).

This was my feedback. Good luck on keeping up the excellent work you are doing to make the camera perform better.
    If you want to have examples or more info: please let me know. And it would be great if you give some feedback on my comments too. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021

3. script
    Moderator Moderator Jun 20, 2021

Stickied Post
    script , Jun 20, 2021 :
    Very good feedback, that says it all in two posts. Great work, both. :)

@Gary C. Have a look, please.

4. Thundax
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2021

Stickied Post
    Thundax , Jun 20, 2021 :
    An add-on to my earlier post:
    In the photo example from the first post of this topic, I tried to increase the gamma of both the Before and After photo samples. The result (see below) shows what I meant about the purple clipping.
    But now when seeing the Before and After photo next to each other, it seems that the After photo has also worse details/more clipping than the Before photo.
    It could be just a miss photo (from hit or miss), but hopefully this won't be the standard...

(Btw, this extreme gamma increase is not what I like, but it shows the weaknesses of the photo quality pretty well... :) )

hue.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021

johncbradley1, CS1989 and script like this.
  5. Niklasg85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2021

Stickied Post
    Niklasg85 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 23, 2021 :
    Amen @script. @Gary C.
    Please really consider @script .'s pinned feedback!
    + (plus) That the white balance between the lenses should be the same between the lenses, when i shoot with main and wide lens the pictures looks really different in mostly every scenario regarding it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021

script likes this.
  6. Loki9553
    Gingerbread Jun 24, 2021

Stickied Post
    Loki9553 , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Jun 24, 2021 :
    @Gary C.
    Just submitted the survey. I hope they actually look and consider what I've mentioned in the survey.

Things I've mentioned;

1. Tap to focus is not there in Ultrawide camera, it just adjusts the exposure and not the focus.

2. Tap and hold to lock focus and exposure in not available in slow motion video mode. Not sure why!

3. Full time RAW shooting support in regular shooting mode apart from PRO mode. Why it's not there OnePlus? Even my 4.5 years old OnePlus 3T have this feature!

4. PRO Mode for Ultrawide camera.

5. Newly added HDR toggle option in video mode doesn't remember last used setting. It reset every time to disabled. It should remember the last used setting just like Frame Rate, Resolution etc toggle options!

6. There should be an option to turn on flash in PRO Mode during the manual focusing. It will come handy in low light focus situation.

7. There are profiles in video mode, just wish they add a Flat profile too.

8. Low Light timelapse option with manual controls.

I hope they implement these feature in upcoming updates for the 9 series or atleast for 9 Pro.

Pinyae, nastasedan, script and 2 others like this.
  7. Thundax
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2021

Stickied Post
    Thundax , Jun 30, 2021 :
    Another add-on on my earlier posts about the purple/black clipping:
    I was playing around with the photos and Irfan View, and I saw quite some relationship between the purple/black clipping and changing the contrast of a photo. See the video below video where one grade of purple clipping can be easily lowered by adjusting the contrast just a little bit:

It doesn't work on photos with a lot of different grades of purple. But for this example photo with mostly just one grade of purple and black clipping, it really helps...
    I am no technical expert, but I wonder why this contrast has such a lot of impact on that color...

Btw, one last thing...
    The more different photos I see from different people, the more I am annoyed by the crushed blacks/no detail at all in the blacks. I guess this issue needs to be on the top of the backlog of the development team... :)

8. Areebanwar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2021

9. purestock007

purestock007 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 18, 2021 :
    but in field or in actual there is still a vast gap to compare it with other flagship
    still work on detail and white effect..
    also main problem is pic of human being .
    otherwise it ok

10. nosvasedis
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2021

nosvasedis , Jun 18, 2021 :
    Well, how can we know when in Europe we STILL don't have the newest update? 🤦‍♂️

11. vicky8190
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2021

13. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jun 18, 2021

Tokolozi , Jun 18, 2021 :
    What is white effect?

09Pranav, otto2, deezid and 5 others like this.
  14. SirWebs1800
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2021

hipporama and maxdp661 like this.
  15. Antonio_Luis

PuCiNhOOO, Mr. BG, hipporama and 4 others like this.
  16. CS1989
    Honeycomb Jun 18, 2021

CS1989 , Jun 18, 2021 :
    For me :

1. Pls improve slightly lowlight painting effect / purple tint on hair or black objects.

2. Shutter lag, one of the annoying issue.

17. purestock007

18. Tokolozi

Do you have an example picture of how it should be improved?

19. Scotty74
    Donut Jun 18, 2021

Niklasg85, Raninishu and Yann7102 like this.
  20. purestock007

Raninishu likes this.
  21. Tokolozi

I don't have morning fog. So I'm very confused what you mean. Also I have a Xioami device not a 9-series.

22. purestock007

purestock007 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jun 18, 2021 :
    if you dont have 9 series then why are you so anxious
    bye

SachinTS likes this.
  23. Josh261995
    Froyo Jun 18, 2021

Josh261995 , Jun 18, 2021 :
    Thanks for doing a post showing off the improvements I personally really like this sorta stuff, the nightscape mode still needs work

25. Josh261995
    Froyo Jun 18, 2021

26. sandy_yp_7
    Gingerbread Jun 18, 2021

sandy_yp_7 , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Jun 18, 2021 :
    Nice but i would like to say that why @OnePlus is ignoring NORD . NORD users are facing several issues related to system like phone lagging, heating, slow charging, delay notifications, battery draining fastly etc. OS 11 for NORD is like packet of problems. Please fix these issues. Why OnePlus is ignoring us. Might be NORD doesn't belong to 50k family in pricing segment that's why we are facing these issues.

L1609766517347 likes this.