In-Display fingerprint scanner coming to a phone near you!

?

Are you willing to try this first to market tech out?

Poll closed Jul 19, 2018.
  1. Yes , No matter what!!

41.7%
  2. No , Let someone else be the guinea pig.

29.2%
  3. It's complicated.

8.3%
  4. Soon ™

8.3%
  5. T always wait for the T !

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CrownedSusanoo
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2018

CrownedSusanoo , Apr 21, 2018 :
    Hmmmm. True, no doubt

MarijanJozić likes this.
  2. 2020amolg
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2018

2020amolg , Apr 21, 2018 :
    Hey Punit, great idea. If Oneplus were to make an in-glass fingerprint, that would be a very new and attractive feature; however, I feel the idea is still a very good concept, and not a very good application yet. Although the Vivo X20 does have the in-glass fingerprint, it still is a process. With the onscreen button, you can make the sensor as large as you want it to, but you need to wait for the whole, light up, then the finger placement. With a hardware button, you won't have as much of a space to put your finger (which we already dealt with since the launch of the Oneplus 3), but there is no need to turn it on or off. My verdict would be to stick to the hardware button, but only for this last device. When Oneplus launches their next device, I would like to see an in-glass fingerprint scanner.

PunitAhlawat05 likes this.
  3. 2020amolg
    Honeycomb Apr 21, 2018

2020amolg , Apr 21, 2018 :
    I understand the concern of that... but that is the main reason why the Oneplus 5t has the face unlock feature.

4. rivasfk
    Cupcake May 17, 2018

rivasfk , May 17, 2018 :
    I had a Pixel before buying my first OnePlus (5) and one of the most important things for me was having the fingerprint on the front. It is very handy on the back for the daily use but absolutely terrible for people working at desks. Face recognition is still not so safe and you need to have a weird face position to unlock a phone on a desk. So, despite being very tempting to get the OnePlus6, I will probably wait to see the 6T or I will have to consider the Huawei P20.

How to resolve this? I propose:

1. Fingerprint in a small bezel on the front.
    2. In-screen fingerprint - slower than acceptable?
    3. Better facial recognition, Apple style.
    4. Notch in the lower part with a fingerprint embebed. Why not? ;)

5. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 5, 2018

meatandy , Sep 5, 2018 :
    King Star from SlashLeaks has posted an image of what possibly could be packaging of the next OnePlus handset the 6T , from the picture below it looks as if the newest version will have the underscreen fingerprint sensor.
    crop.jpeg

Betamixz likes this.
  6. meatandy
    Oreo Sep 5, 2018

Cheetosdust likes this.
  7. Betamixz
    Honeycomb Sep 6, 2018

Betamixz , Sep 6, 2018 :
    Can't wait for this tech to be blazing fast. Not like the present scanner. Those are way too slow

meatandy likes this.
  8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Sep 6, 2018

Cheetosdust , Sep 6, 2018 :
    If these leaks about the OnePlus 6T are true, this thread will be even more relevant soon.

You are going to have the best haircut so far, clean and fresh :p

(I'm curious to try a phone with that fingerprint sensor, however, I think I'll use it only when the phone is on the table. On the OnePlus 6 I barely touch the fingerprint sensor anymore - Face Unlock is my main method to unlock the device).

meatandy likes this.
  9. arun_sesu
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2018

arun_sesu , Sep 10, 2018 :
    The OnePlus 6 is a very popular device right now, but OnePlus isn’t done releasing phones this year. Their “T” series comes out towards the end of the year as a slightly improved version of the main series. We’ve already heard a little bit about the OnePlus 6T and it may be a considerable upgrade this year. Apparently, the OnePlus 6T will have an in-display fingerprint sensor.

Surprisingly, this report is not a rumor. The information comes directly from OnePlus. They confirmed in an email to CNET that the OnePlus 6T will have an in-display fingerprint sensor (as shown in the screenshot). OnePlus wanted to have this feature as early as the OnePlus 5T, but the technology was not mature enough.

As a result of the in-display fingerprint sensor, the OnePlus 6T will be slightly thicker than the OnePlus 6 (only by 0.45mm). The design of the phone is said to have a more unibody look as well. Currently, in-display fingerprint sensors are only available on a few Vivo and Huawei phones. The OnePlus 6T would be the first “mainstream” device to feature this new technology.

We don’t know a ton about this next OnePlus phone yet. It will apparently be available on T-Mobile, which is a huge win for the company in the US. Other rumors mentioned in the CNET report include triple rear cameras, $550 price tag, and an October launch date (the screenshot may give us a clue about that).

10. Mukund760
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2018

Mukund760 , Sep 10, 2018 :
    i hope it is as secure and as fast as capacitive one, if not then it is better to stick with the capacitive ones. Speed over Cosmetic enhancements.

11. FazelrabiGhaffa
    Donut Sep 10, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  12. Catalin_Buzescu
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2018

AlTeX and Vladut123 like this.
  13. Moin2200
    KitKat Sep 10, 2018

Never Subtle likes this.
  14. Catalin_Buzescu
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2018

Catalin_Buzescu , Sep 10, 2018 :
    As a fact, I did read earlier having popped up in my Google feed. Android Authority or something... But the point for the OP was that credits to the author are always required.
    Copying a text without mentioning the source is still stealing

15. Moin2200
    KitKat Sep 10, 2018

Moin2200 , Sep 10, 2018 :
    Welcome to the oneplus forum.

16. powerofred
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2018

powerofred , Sep 10, 2018 :
    Definitely won't be as fast as traditional ones. Better not to have our hopes high.

dalmia09 likes this.
  17. Mukund760

yeah. They should stick to the trusty old capacitive ones until the technology is mature enough to be practically useful.

18. powerofred
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2018

powerofred , Sep 10, 2018 :
    Notch was not a better solution. Still adapting it makes the phone sell like a hot cake. Business is more important than customer satisfaction nowadays.

Mukund760 likes this.
  19. Mukund760

Sadly but its the truth :( Even Google is making the same mistake this year just like last year (removing Headphone Jack)

20. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2018

meatandy likes this.