In response to the Type-C cable discussions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackDiogo Honeycomb Nov 26, 2015

mackDiogo, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Thanks @Carl the oneplus type c cable is my favourite from the 3 type c cables i have, is so well made and it gives off a premium feel, i bought the other two from third party companies and now i'm not sure if i have to buy new ones, because they're not that cheap. But at least my favourite is safe. :)

2. Aditya.kalabarigi Cupcake Nov 26, 2015

3. Benyew Froyo Nov 26, 2015

Benyew, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Why does the One Plus 2 not able to see a USB Type C Thumb drive? Is it really a non-standard USB Type C that One Plus 2 has? Why this is not being announced in the specs?

Abdur Desai and jfeise like this.
  4. jlasensiofi KitKat Nov 26, 2015

jlasensiofi, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Thanks Carl. As always, attending perfectly to customers. Congratulations on your good work :);)

Spliffman likes this.
  5. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Nov 26, 2015

rarog, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Do you use an OTG cable? It's essential, as without OTG cable both USB devices (OP2 and thumb drive) try to be a device, with OTG cable one of them (of course OP2 as active device) becomes the host.

6. gabdul Froyo Nov 26, 2015

gabdul, Nov 26, 2015 :
    @Carl this is cool information...the refund is like the cherry on the cake and the fact that you guys are building one with 56kΩ resistors is the cherry on top of that damn cherry...
    great spirit guys I was hoping for such a response from oneplus when all the discussions about the cable started..but I should say I am pleasantly surprised about the refund part, thats way too cool...

Spliffman and naramamoorthi like this.
  7. chuckufarleys KitKat Nov 26, 2015

chuckufarleys, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Did you actually READ what I said?
    I wasn't talking about regular Type-C cables!!!
    I was talking about an OTG Type-C cable!!
    Next time really read what people say, don't just make it up.

BTW, OTG stands for 'On The Go', which is used for reading USB mice, keyboards, external storage (thumb drives, hard drives, etc.) and many more devices. But I shouldn't have to explain that to you, you could have just looked that up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

jfeise likes this.
  8. chuckufarleys KitKat Nov 26, 2015

Also, you are completely wrong about whether it is a USB 3.1 or USB 2.0, Type-C connectors are the SAME for BOTH USB versions!!!! Other wise it's NOT TYPE-C standards, but some made up bs standards!!. Where do you get this made up mis-information??

jfeise and rarog like this.
  9. judhajitmisra Honeycomb Nov 26, 2015

10. naramamoorthi Eclair Nov 26, 2015

naramamoorthi, Nov 26, 2015 :
    I honestly did not expect a response like this from OnePlus. A very good explanation that isn't too technical for the common folks to understand and a refund to boot. In this day and age people expect everything to be universal but they just don't understand the fundamentals of engineering that goes into a product. Resistor values are not simply plucked from the sky. It would be irresponsible for a reputable company to do such a thing. These values were calculated based on the cable's own intrinsic properties and the purpose for which the cable was built...which is to be used with OnePlus devices.

Thanks for the explanation Carl.

11. chuckufarleys KitKat Nov 26, 2015

You don't understand do you.
    You shouldn't have to use your Type-C adapter if the pinout on the OP2 was standard.
    We are talking about using STANDARD Type-C OTG cables!
    AND standard TYPE-C OTG thumb drives without an adapter!!

jfeise likes this.
  12. chuckufarleys KitKat Nov 26, 2015

Another one that has no clue about using Standard Type-C OTG cables.
    Any manufacturer of Type-C OTG cables will NOT WORK with the OP2!!.
    We are talking about standard pinout (signals) for Type-C OTG cables.
    You ever wonder why Oneplus does not sell Type-C OTG cables?

jfeise likes this.
  13. Adityaf Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2015

Adityaf, Nov 26, 2015 :
    In the meantime, our team has already begun developing improved Type-C cables and adapters with 56kΩresistors.

So we need to buy this 56K shit resistors Charger and Cable to charge our device?

Cool!! This is interesting as hell!!

14. Adityaf Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2015

Adityaf, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Lemme clear you one thing.
    Original charger which came with oneplus two makes some noise. It's normal but still its spooky.
    Second thing is I'm the only one who face battery drain and long charging time??

15. bikas Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2015

bikas, Nov 26, 2015 :
    So there's nothing wrong with compliance but we're going to refund. I wonder what it reflects?

16. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Nov 26, 2015

rarog, Nov 26, 2015 :
    In my understanding USB3 and Type C both should be downwardly compatible to USB2 and that way to Micro-USB 2.0. So why shouldn't this be possible? Do you have any information link on this?

Edit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go#OTG_micro_plugs

It does work with your OP2, it just COULD (not MUST) make some problems when used with in combination with uncertified chargers or cables AND non OnePlus devices.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

17. chuckufarleys KitKat Nov 26, 2015

Wow, was I talking about compatibility of USB versions, at all? No, I was not.

If you actually read what I said, I was talking about the Type-C OTG cables!!!!
    For cripes sake, it is so amazing how you came up with that!

18. rarog Lollipop Senior Moderator Nov 26, 2015

rarog, Nov 26, 2015 :
    Look who's talking. You could behave more polite, you could also start reading my post better and the one I reacted to. In my understanding the guy didn't use an OTG at all, he just plugged the thumb drive with a Type-C to Type-C cable. And this way it shouldn't work. So I asked him, if he was using an OTG adapter. Then you come around the corner with you impolite and snobbish attitude and derail my posting. I ask you politely, you react even more offtopic. This is not how discussion works, this is not, how people get help.

If Type-C is designed to work backwards compatibly with older standards than USB 3.0, and the 3.0 standard still works with 2.0 OTG using only 5 pins, those 5 pins (even if they are the only on the Type-C OTG adapter) should be enough for a proper OTG support.

19. gabdul Froyo Nov 26, 2015

gabdul, Nov 26, 2015 :
    the current charger that came with the phone will work perfectly fine, you do not need to buy the updated charger if you only use it for charging the OPT.

Adityaf and rarog like this.
  20. Chika Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2015