Other Incoming Calls Direct To Voice Mail, Can't send Text. My McLaren story.

1. J1582326736989
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2020

J1582326736989 , Sep 18, 2020 :
    how do I get official help? phone is only few months old, is there a warranty? I bought the McLaren through T-Mobile, no other way here in USA. My plan was to pay for phone up front, go on T-Mobile prepaid just long enough to meet minimums to unlock. And then go back to Mint Mobile. But after getting on Mint Mobile the incoming calls were going straight to voice mail, and text would no go out. With no other choice I had to return to T-Mobile where the phone works flawlessly. In fact if I removed the Mint sim from the McLaren and tried it in a Pixel XL it worked flawlessly! I spent countless hour on calls to both T-Mobile and Mint sim and they cannot find a reason. So I'm here asking OnePlus to please contact me and dig into this. To be honest after many search's and I see many phones of many different brands including iPhone's with this issue of calls going directly to voice mail. I've wiped numerous time, I've turned on and off the WiFi, the WiFi Calling, Mobile data and various combinations. If I'd known that I'd be stuck on highly expensive T-Mobile vs Mint Mobile extremely cost conscious cost, I'd never have bought the McLaren. Is there anyway I can get another McLaren or a full refund or switch to a OnePlus 7T Pro? This is extremely disheartening and this is the first new OnePlus I've bought. I hate it that this is happening. I feel robbed! I'm trying the Mint sim again on trial on continue to have the McLaren not being able to the common function of ringing and sending texts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020

2. J1582326736989
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2020

J1582326736989 , Oct 13, 2020 :
    I'm waiting on unlock token:
    https://support.oneplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/588

Calls Go Direct To Voice Mail and Text Often Aren't Sent, Possible Cause.

It only took 3 months to drag this info out, I bought a 7T Pro McLaren did the model isn't relevant as I've sent all android models and iPhones with the exact same issue.

I bought, had to buy the McLaren through T-Mobile in USA, once I was cleared for so called Unlocked, I did. I went back to my preferred cellular provider called Mint Mobile which wholesales T-Mobile sim cards, so yeah, compatible.

Once I installed the Mint Mobile T-Mobile sim card, incoming calls went direct to voice mail and text often came back as deliverable. I tried three Mint sim cards, worked with T-Mobile and Mint, and Oneplus a wee bit as I felt it had to be a T-Mobile issue.

Apparently when I was told I could Unlock, it was only an unlock of the sim itself to be used on other phone only and not for the phone to able to be used on another carrier.

The link above will take you to where stage two of unlock is done. NOT easy but I did it. This 2nd step will unlock the actual phone for use on Mint, the real unlock!

This is all I can offer, if you can't figure it out, I'm not the one to help as it took my over three hours from start to finish. My hold up was figuring out what the Root Directory line was. Everything else went smooth. After completing application you wait for the unlock token.

3. G1610126316441
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2021

G1610126316441 , Jan 8, 2021 :

Did unlocking the bootloader really make the OnePlus McLaren 5g work smoothly on Mint Mobile?

4. dylan4200
    Cupcake Jan 21, 2021

dylan4200 , Jan 21, 2021 :
    So this is crazy but i just got a brand new factory sealed oneplus 7t pro mclaren as well and similiar issues just ported numbers from tmobile to mint mobile and intermintent calls not goingthrough unless i change apn to tmoible and mint back and forth i thought it was the port or the phone so i just got a new one from amazon same issues so far my fiances and dads phones both working ok my girls oneplus 7t had to restart once or twice but i put that was a tmobile varriant the only differnce is the global software compared to tmobile branded its really frustrating but im going to figure this out of course the mclaren has no global version sense it was a tmobile branded phone but i hear rumors of the pro version working but like this other person that didnt know the terminology i dont want to unlock my bootloader where oneplus voids my warranty yet but this is rediculous the only difference should be the software i wonder if theres something in the software that is causing an issue hes correct tmobile sim works fine im going to try and find a way to register the tmobile sim on mints network and or find out what i can to fix this with both tier 3 supports will update when i get more info but the wifi calling helps periodically then goes to voicemail its been over a week sense my port couldnt resist the 3 months free when you buy 3 months of course its a tmoible mvno too so its really confusing but will update for anyone having issues

5. Dsquared1955 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 21, 2021 :
    Please use punctuation. I have a really difficult time trying to understand your issue.
    Edit: There is a 7T McLaren that is NOT T-Mobile branded; call it a global variant. T-Mobile variant has 5G modem; global does not, so it is limited to LTE 4G.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021

H1611783124759 likes this.
  6. C1600991326617
    Cupcake Feb 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM

C1600991326617 , Feb 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM :
    I've been dealing with this problem since last September after purchasing a T-Mobile 7T McLaren from Oneplus for use on Mint. I didn't notice missing calls and the delayed/missing text messages until I was a couple of days past the return period. I contacted Mint to ensure my account was provisioned correctly; sent my phone to Oneplus 3 times for "repair"; got a refurbished replacement; tried various APN settings; and changed SIM cards, but nothing has worked. The only way to always receive voice and text is to change the preferred network type to 2G/3G. Phone calls and text don't work consistently if set to anything else. Oneplus refuses to provide a refund and as a last resort sent me a brand new replacement that I have yet to open. I doubt this new one will work either and will probably just sell it to rid myself of the headache. As a first time Oneplus owner, it's been quite a disappointment.

Ironically, the phone does work consistently in 4G/LTE mode for voice/text when I use my spouse's At&t MVNO SIM from Red Pocket. You just need to run the carrier unlock option in network settings. So carrier unlocking does work and it shouldn't require a bootloader unlock to work on Mint. If I wasn't already provided a new replacement I would try unlocking the bootloader and maybe a custom ROM, but I highly doubt that a bootloader unlock by itself will do anything to fix this T-Mobile 7T McLaren and Mint Mobile incompatibility even though Mint uses the T-Mobile network and Mint shows this device as compatible.

7. H1611783124759
    Cupcake Mar 1, 2021 at 1:27 PM

H1611783124759 , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Mar 1, 2021 at 1:27 PM :
    I've actually submitted a bug. OnePlus reached out to me to help recreate and gather logs.
    Here's the kicker: it's the software. I tried a couple AOSP ROMs and there were NONE of the issues we're having with the OnePlus build. Not a single call straight to vmx. Every SMS went through without delay.
    So I'm back on the OnePlus build with the hopes of catching it in action so I can supply OnePlus with the info they need.
    Y'all can open bugs too. Let them know!

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/7t-pro-5g-mclaren-reliability.1394677/

X1609021528393 likes this.
  8. X1609021528393
    Cupcake Mar 3, 2021 at 10:02 PM

X1609021528393 , Mar 3, 2021 at 10:02 PM :
    About to submit a bug also. Bought this phone specifically to use on Mint and it has been a total nightmare. Mint sim works flawlessly in any other gsm phone I have on hand but even on LTE the phone gives me the exclamation mark, intermittent data and can't receive texts/make calls. I have to switch it on and off airplane mode 3 or 4 times and it finally works. I actually finally yesterday just changed it to 3G because with that I can at least get texts and call reliably. OnePlus pleaseeee fix it's so frustrating and I love Mint so much! I first thought it was the phone so I returned the phone to the seller, then bought another one from a completely different seller, exact same issue. Also, got a new sim from Mint, exact same issue.