InDisplay fingerprint scanner Always On ?

1. DeepakG777
    Froyo Oct 29, 2018

DeepakG777 , Oct 29, 2018 :
    I have a doubt about InDisplay fingerprint scanner in 6T.

Will it be always on the screen ?

or

Will be activated by pressing screen lock button or double tap? (if so it will be annoying to do this.. as physical fingerprint scanner won't require these kind of actions)

ninjaijutsu likes this.
  2. muzikizumxp2
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2018

muzikizumxp2 , Oct 29, 2018 :
    Defeats purpose if screen needs awoken first, then scan fingerprint My 3t can unlock from screen off

ninjaijutsu likes this.
  3. stadifer
    Donut Nov 1, 2018

stadifer , Nov 1, 2018 :
    I have a 6T and the scanner is not always on. That being said when you pick up the phone the screen wakes and presents the fingerprint scanner icon... Same deal if you double take to wake as well.

I though this would be annoying but it hasn't been thus far. The only thing you can't do is something like unlocking the phone as you pull it out of your pocket since you can't really hit the touch target like you an with a physical scanner on the back that has a tactile feel. I rarely do that anyways so no loss there.

But that is the trade off for having in screen vs. physical. Not a big deal for me but your mileage may vary.

4. i860
    Honeycomb Nov 1, 2018

i860 , Nov 1, 2018 :
    You can set up one tap also for finger scanner to appear.

5. SoloChicago
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2018

SoloChicago , Nov 2, 2018 :
    I have the Galaxy S7, even with "always on" display, you still need to wake the phone to use the physical fingerprint scanner. I imagine most phones are like this.

6. W1604697470500
    Cupcake Apr 7, 2021

W1604697470500 , Apr 7, 2021 :

I have a galaxy S10+ and on that phone I can use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone even when the screen is off. I also bought an 8t and noticed I can only use the scanner when I double tap or hit the power button to turn on the screen first.

It's so annoying and makes the process much longer. The 8t scanner is much faster and responsive than my s10+ and the s10+ scanner doesn't even scan my finger properly %90 of the time. But having to wake the phone up first then use the scanner on my 8t is a drawback.