Inside OnePlus: The evolution of OnePlus fast charging

1. Tuomas L.
    Head of Strategy, OnePlus Europe Staff Member Sep 24, 2020

Tuomas L. , Sep 24, 2020 :
    LEADING STORIES FORUM POST FAST CHARGING-2.png

Hi Friends!

Here's a new series of posts looking inside OnePlus. And at first I wanted to talk to you about how our charging has developed over the years.

How is fast charging achieved?

We all know that the battery needs to be charged to be able to provide power to the phone. Physics teaches us that power = voltage x current, so if you want to increase the charging speed (power), you need to increase the voltage or current. Most phones used to be charged the same way; with 5 volts (voltage) and 1 amp (current). It was slow and outdated. Over time people figured out to ramp up the voltage, and use 9 volts x 2 amps = 18W of power, which was refered to as quick charging. Advantages were low requirement on the charging cable and good compatability. However, cranking up the voltage leads to a lot of heat during conversion, hence charging efficiency and performance decreased.

When we created OnePlus Fast charge for the OnePlus 3, we increased the amperage instead. Our fast charge produced 5 volts x 4 amps = 20W of power. That demanded more from the charging equipment, so we used a cable which is actually +300% thicker than previous cables. It’s like a bigger pipe which can get more power to the battery in the same time. With this technology, we said you can get “a day’s power in half an hour.”

Another big change was related to the power conversion. With other chargers, the power travels through the cable to the phone, and the phone converts and transfers it to the battery. Some energy is lost in this process and released as heat. With OnePlus Fast charge, we moved that whole process from the phone to the adapter, which converts the power to the batterys voltage. Because no conversion is done by the phone itself, almost no heat is produced inside the phone, and your charging will stay cool, speed is not slowed down and performance will not suffer. This was a cooler and smarter way to charge.

The evolution of OnePlus fast charging:

NEW-OP LEADING STORIES WEEK 1 TIMELINE.png

Next generation of OnePlus Fast charging came in 2018 with OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition and the Warp Charge 30, when we were able to crank up the amperage to 6A and power to 30W with the use of a new adapter and new technology on the phone. We even managed to bring that same power wirelessly to the OnePlus 8 Pro in 2020, with the use of our own wireless charger, offering top speeds for wireless charging. That wasn’t an easy task. Our promise of sharing the best technology with the world made us improve the wireless charging technology quite a bit before releasing a OnePlus wireless charging unit.
    Read more here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/warp-charge-30-wireless-all-power-no-wires.1209888/

Next chapter in OnePlus Fast charging is coming today with the introduction of the Warp Charge 65. In the new 65W version of Warp Charge, we have upgraded the adapters voltage to 10 volts, and with the innovative use of a twin-battery design, each of the two batteries inside the phone can be charged at the same time with a power of 5V/6.5A. So the charging power can be doubled, thereby greatly reducing the waiting time for charging. It’s capable of filling up a 4500mAh battery in 39 minutes, and delivers “a day’s power in 15 minutes.”

811_GREEN_WARP-CHARGE_CHARGING_01.jpg

With smartphones becoming more and more integrated with our lives, charging is a major aspect of the whole user experience, and low-battery anxiety is becoming a common phenomenon. We believe that charging should be fast, simple and not a burden. At OnePlus we have been actively seeking for a breakthrough in charging technology. From Fast charge to Warp charge, we've always tried to maintain a leading position in this field, and we're very proud of our latest upgrade, the Warp Charge 65 - “a Day’s power in 15 minutes”.

Tuomas

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020

2. MakB
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2020

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020

3. Tokolozi
    Nougat Sep 24, 2020

Tokolozi , Sep 24, 2020 :
    Nice, will the charger be USB PD compatible so we can charge our laptops with it as well?

4. rainaksworld
    Donut Sep 24, 2020

Tuomas L. likes this.
  5. S1596354379729
    Cupcake Sep 24, 2020

6. naheedmir
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2020

naheedmir , Sep 24, 2020 :
    Hi OnePlus Team,
    The introduction of a new development in OnePlus fast charging is wonderful. Quality charging is always welcome.
    Thanks OnePlus team.

Lucille and Tuomas L. like this.
  7. Rajnish_Dhull
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 24, 2020

8. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 24, 2020

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

9. Shiva_Rohith
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2020

Tuomas L., Z1595487869993 and Lucille like this.
  10. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 24, 2020

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020

11. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2020

obakesan , Sep 24, 2020 :
    This is great and all don't get me wrong but listen to yourselves. 65W has been out for while on other devices. Your own parent company which made the technology behind has 65W wireless tech!!! Yes wire less no USB C . Why not bring that or is it not ready yet or guess need something to sell in 9T.

Speaking of wired connection again parent company has 125W charging for a days power in 5 min. You all drinking too much coolaid.

https://www.oppo.com/en/newsroom/pr...-flash-charge-and-50w-mini-supervooc-charger/

12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 24, 2020

Tuomas L., woSch, jlasensiofi and 3 others like this.
  13. arshand
    Donut Sep 24, 2020

Tuomas L. and Lucille like this.
  14. mojoyoyo_77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Sep 24, 2020

mojoyoyo_77 , Sep 24, 2020 :
    In this regard, what worries me the most is the performance in terms of electricity consumption, if charging the phone faster is going to cost me more, I am not interested, I prefer it to take half an hour longer and be cheaper.
    In addition to the economy, there is the ecology, spending more energy on millions of battery charges increases pollution.
    This is never discussed and I consider it a factor to take into account

jlasensiofi and Batman360 like this.

Ranjit PothiReddy and White4Wolf like this.
  16. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 24, 2020

dsmonteiro , Sep 24, 2020 :
    Why do you say this will increase energy consumption?

Energy consumption is calculated based on the battery capacity and the charger's efficiency. Speed is in no way related. A faster charger will only allow to unplug from the wall faster.

As with any hardware-related feature, this cannot be backported to older devices.

17. Tokolozi
    Nougat Sep 24, 2020

dsmonteiro likes this.
  18. sumitMZ007
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2020

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Sep 24, 2020 :
    I just yesterday submitted application for OnePlus 8T in which they asked about what's your 2 favorite feature in OnePlus. And I said my favorite feature is Dash Charge. this article explain a lot in very nice details. Good nice information.

Tuomas L. likes this.
  19. mojoyoyo_77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Sep 24, 2020

mojoyoyo_77 , Sep 24, 2020 :
    I am not saying that it is, I am saying that energy efficiency is never reported, I would very much like to see a graph with the energy efficiency differences of the chargers that OnePlus has had.
    It is clear that we are always looking for speed, but I would also like to know energy efficiency, to see if we are really on the right track.

20. Alioo7
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2020