Inside OnePlus: Why 120 Hz display with OnePlus?

1. Tuomas L.
    Head of Strategy, OnePlus Europe Staff Member Oct 12, 2020

Tuomas L. , Oct 12, 2020 :
    OP INSIDE ONEPLUS WEEK 3 HEADLINE 120HZ.png

Hey friends!

Have you ever stopped and wondered how long you use your smartphone each day? Or have you thought about it at some point? We recently commissioned a study to learn more about our community’s habits on scrolling, and well, we found out some interesting insights. For example, did you know that we all spend quite a lot of time scrolling on our phones, from 60 minutes up to 4 hours per day.

The Italians snatched the win on this ‘game’ from us techy Finns, by scrolling an approx. of 263 meters on their displays per day, that’s nearly 3 soccer fields, leaving us at 227m and our neighbors the Swedes at 205m per day. That’s a lot of pixels and thumb movements for one day, every day.

How about you? How much do you scroll social media apps every day? You know you can check it from the apps? Or from your phone settings, as our OxygenOS counts it for you, so you can see and decide whether it’s worth all that time. But as you do scroll anyway, like we all do, why not enjoy it a bit more and let it be more relaxing for your eyes. Well, we have been working for quite some time on improving your experience with displays, starting from our OnePlus 7 Pro with a QHD 90 Hz display up to our latest flagship the OnePlus 8 Pro with 120 Hz. With our latest devices we have standardised higher refresh rates in the market, Making sure all your scrolls are smooth and clean.

OP INSIDE ONEPLUS WEEK 3 TIMELINE FORUM .png

120 Hz means 120 screen refreshes every second, leading to animations and video playback unfold before you with absolute fluidity ensuring a unique experience. This means fluidity like you haven’t seen before, giving you more responsiveness from frame to frame. On top of a great display, the OnePlus 8 Pro has more than 150 visual optimisations across OxygenOS, leading to every tap, swipe, and transition feel precise and responsive. That means no flickering, no stuttering, no lag. Everything just flows, smoothly and seamlessly. The result is something that you’ll feel as much as see.

120 Hz will allow you to swipe through social media apps with such an ease, I ask you to only use it for positive vibes, in these climates don’t go doomscrolling!

We've understood that investing in the right equipment leads to games and videos being more enjoyable. You know that gaming is in the OnePlus DNA and we know it’s in yours. When you play games on your device, you want the experience to be as smooth and fun as it can. Faster screen updating also means lower latency, because the pixels on the AMOLED screen are being refreshed more often. It’s not just the higher frame rate, it’s also more accuracy and faster action to beat the opponent. For any professional gamer it is a must have. And I’m not even going to go into details with our Fnatic Mode, you know what I’m talking about.

The increase in refresh rate is something the human eye takes a little time to adjust, but when it does, everything becomes faster. It’s something you have to see to believe, but warning, when you do see it, it’s so hard to go back to anything else you were used to. Technology improves so fast, and now it’s the displays turn to take bigger steps forward. If you have an older device, now you can skip last year’s 90 Hz upgrade and go straight to 120 Hz. Our upcoming OnePlus 8T is around the corner, just a couple more days to learn more. You can follow our livestream event here.

Are you getting excited yet? Well you should. I am. : )

Tuomas

2. Atul Menon
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2020

3. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Oct 12, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 12, 2020 :
    Will be great to also see more games and other apps adopt these higher referesh rates too!

4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Oct 12, 2020

Kishan54 likes this.
  6. Swatiranjan
    KitKat Oct 12, 2020

Aashisheyeish and Tokolozi like this.
  7. RoyDecoy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2020

RoyDecoy , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 12, 2020 :
    Well definitely excited😁
    But was expecting some juicier stuff with this thread, like help me differentiate the display from 8 pro? 😅
    (Except display being flat)

ashwinguy and Tokolozi like this.
  8. Tokolozi
    Marshmallow Oct 12, 2020

Swatiranjan and PushpakRoy like this.
  9. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Oct 12, 2020

HarshKK14 , Oct 12, 2020 :
    OnePlus 9 Pro will get 144Hz display. OnePlus 9T will get 144Hz display. So 2021 done. What next??? What will OnePlus offer thereafter? This issue won't be just for OnePlus. But for all other OEMs

calvincjh, Pinky02 and yparikh6 like this.

calvincjh, BlackJet, UxAxJ and 3 others like this.
  12. GaToKnechto42
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2020

13. geoxar
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2020

geoxar , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Oct 12, 2020 :
    Hi Tuomas,

I have both 7T Pro and OnePlus Nord.

7T Pro has an amazing 2K resolution display with 90hz refresh rate.

Nord has FHD+ one with 90hz refresh rate too, but the difference is more than obvious, 7T Pro experience is far better for my eyes.

Moreover, 8 Pro has a 2K resolution display with 120hz refresh rate so I suppose that 8T will fill the gap between, with a FHD+ 120hz display.

I am really eager to touch it and experience it, although I think resolution matters too when one looks for the absolute screen user experience.

Hopefully the next OnePlus device comes with a 4K display (1644x3840 like Xperia 1 ii) and even with 90hz will explode the display user experience!

Regards,
    Georgios

14. RoyDecoy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2020

RoyDecoy , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 12, 2020 :
    Bump up the resolution may be.
    Introduce Graphene batteries.
    Partner with Google to provide GCam natively. (Lmao highly unlikely)
    Possibilities are endless in the tech realm.

Y1572177533166 likes this.
  15. TheZestyGeist
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2020

16. Belieber135 , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Oct 12, 2020 :
    120 HZ for ultra smooth experience [e]1f525[/e][e]2764[/e]️ OnePlus 90HZ is also awesome as I'm using it, also it is Oxygen OS. So there's no need to talk about the smoothness of OnePlus mobiles. They're just awesome 🤠

17. phani_geetha
    Froyo Oct 12, 2020

18. BIBIN Thariyan
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2020

BlackJet likes this.