Insight into OnePlus 9 series processor and app optimization

1. ikjadoon
    Eclair Jul 12, 2021

ikjadoon , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Well, the OnePlus 9 is a known benchmark manipulator to GeekBench 😂 It's been delisted, so all you have are the less official user-run tests.

Every phone throttles: you're claiming this is something new. It's how they throttle and how quickly that people care about. It's a mobile phone; you must educate yourself to understand all phones must throttle to some degree.

What Oppo / OnePlus did is benchmark manipulation 101. Oppo / OnePlus know this; they have had devices banned previously for identical reasons. See the Oppo Find X and Oppo F7.

[​IMG]

Steven dawe likes this.
  2. Bruno Lugnani
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2021

Bruno Lugnani , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 12, 2021 :
    I want to have choice of selecting full power or lowered one.
    Have you also put a limit.on modem baseband? I have noticed lowered download speed, have then lowered also network wifi speed too? I think yes and i wait for yr technical explanation

Steven dawe, budman88 and ikjadoon like this.
  3. Texsus
    Eclair Jul 12, 2021

Texsus , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Seems like people are getting knit picky to me. The phones perform absolutely incredible. Even now if i sit my 7T Pro next to a 21 ultra not only is the display noticable better, but it's just plain more enjoyable than the Samsung setups. Not to mention no one goes "what's that?" when they see a Samsung. Maybe we ALL should stand back and remember the times when this was and invite only company, and the fact we all take for granted that even now people still stop and ask about our phones. Are we OnePlus ambassadors or are we a bunch of Samsung/iphone divas?

#getoveryourOWNhype
    #OnePlus Humble Edition

RacerZ, Dresa91 and McJader like this.
  4. ikjadoon
    Eclair Jul 12, 2021

This is the very problem. I've been marinating for some days and waiting for Oppo to reply. For anyone who thinks this is a "mistake", OnePlus could've said that. If OnePlus thought you should have a choice, they could've said that. If OnePlus thought they should've been transparent, they could've said that.

He said nothing of the sort. They said, "We did this and now you need to deal with it."

Let's really understand that: OnePlus has doubled down that no OnePlus 9 owner (including $1069 Pro owners) will be allowed to unlock the performance for any time under any circumstances for 300 apps.

Will that list expand? Will we ever get the complete list? Will anyone ever be notified if apps are added or removed from the list? What do those developers do? What if my app is throttled, but my competitor's app is not throttled? You are picking winners and losers, Oppo / OnePlus! This isn't about the power draw, in the end. OnePlus could play this insane game with any feature later, behind the scenes:

"These 300 apps will be limited to 60% volume to prolong the life of the speaker."
    "These 300 apps will be limited to 2 Mbps download to limit the modem power draw."
    "These 300 apps will be limited to 40% brightness to prevent OLED burn-in."

It's the complete lack of user autonomy: it's a permanently enabled battery-saver mode to sell $$$$ phones with $$$ performance. If I bought an SD888, I know it's high performance. OnePlus literally makes more money selling SD888 phones; OnePlus didn't sell a SD765G OnePlus 9 Pro because few would've paid $1069 for an SD765G. You would've asked for a cheaper price, obviously.

Not to mention a throttled OnePlus 9 Pro is actually the speed of an SD821 = 3x slower than a full-power SD765G, according to AnandTech.

Even if OnePlus backtracks immediately today and gives users an option, why not do it again and again and again and again? They did it on the OnePlus 2: did they ever fix it? Take a guess. Incredibly disappointing from OnePlus; you should've sold a "OnePlus Optimized" profile for $10, if you're really looking for higher profits! Otherwise, phones are our hardware. Let us use our hardware.

5. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 12, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Geekbench never mentioned manipulating the app or their system. In fact it was for NOT manipulating the Geekbench ystem is the issue they had. Reread their report correctly. 🙄

So what you are saying is that all phones throttle in the same way that OnePlus do. So would Geekbench delist for the same reason or are other phone manufacturers just better at cheating the Geekbench system. Hmmmmm 😉😉

6. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2021

SRD. , Jul 12, 2021 :
    This clarification was much needed, but still it's not convincing. The processor works that way and disabling 1 core would definitely make the app run slow if multiple apps are running.

Hope this was just the testing.
    There are realtime issues after updates. Hope you are getting feedbacks frequently.

Dhruv Kashyap, Dresa91 and ikjadoon like this.
  7. ikjadoon
    Eclair Jul 12, 2021

Blacklisting normal apps is benchmark cheating & manipulation. UL agrees. GeekBench agrees. What part of this message did you not understand?

GeekBench called it benchmark manipulation. It may be you that did not comprehend how benchmark cheating works. It has two forms:

• a whitelist (boosting benchmark apps)
    • a blacklist (degrading normal apps)
    Oppo / OnePlus chose the latter. It's still cheating & manipulation.

//

LOL, plenty of devices are banned from GeekBench and UL. It's excellent to see consequences for benchmark cheating: no brand should get away. Samsung paid settlements for benchmark cheating, Apple paid over $600 million for batterygate.

Clearly, these fines were not large enough because OnePlus refused to heed the lesson. No brand is innocent. They all must be regulated & face the consequences, so it's just OnePlus' turn this year 😂

8. ikjadoon
    Eclair Jul 12, 2021

Already, the SD888 CPU is quite efficient. It is the GPU that is extremely power-hungry. I reviewed AnandTech's data at Android Police; it looks like the SD888 is actually significantly more efficient than many previous-gen Snapdragons.

What power consumption criteria do you look at when deciding which CPUs have Oppo/OnePlus-throttling? The SD888 consumes less battery than the SD835, SD845, E2100, and a smidge better than the SD855. The SD865, however, was the lowest-ever power consumption flagship from Qualcomm tested by AnandTech.

For those that have had some time since science courses, watts are an instantaneous measurement (joules per second). However, CPUs are bursty: clock up, finish the task, and return to idle. 2W x 0.05 seconds is much less battery energy consumed than 1W x 0.20 seconds.

Integer (~60% CPU workloads; largest cores' avg. power; sorted by joules consumed)

E9820: 2.99W, 14,274 joules
    SD835: 1.46W, 13,338 joules
    SD845: 1.76W, 13,243 joules
    E2100: 3.49W, 11,107 joules
    A13: 4.61W, 11,021 joules
    A11: 3.36W, 10,644 joules
    SD855: 2.06W, 9654 joules
    SD888: 3.16W, 9621 joules
    A12: 3.64W, 9521 joules
    SD865+: 2.59W, 8955 joules
    A14: 4.42W, 8941 joules
    SD865: 1.88W, 6838 joules

Floating Point (~40% CPU workloads; largest cores' avg. power; sorted by joules consumed)

SD845: 2.32W, 7706 joules
    SD835: 1.69W, 7663 joules
    E9820: 3.01W, 6525 joules
    A11: 3.65W, 6521 joules
    A12: 4.27W, 5889 joules
    A13: 5.02W, 5820 joules
    SD855: 2.63W, 5372 joules
    E2100: 4.19W, 5319 joules
    SD888: 4.00W, 4972 joules
    A14: 5.01W, 4700 joules
    SD865+: 3.16W, 4648 joules
    SD865: 2.36W, 3611 joules

Looks like OnePlus is prioritizing watts (instantaneous power draw), instead of joules (total energy consumption). Is that right?

Probably screwed up a few numbers while copying, so let me know of typos.

Sources:
    1. SPEC - Single Threaded Performance & Power - The Snapdragon 888 vs The Exynos 2100: Cortex-X1 & 5nm - Who Does It Better? (anandtech.com)
    2. Dominating Mobile Performance - Apple Announces The Apple Silicon M1: Ditching x86 - What to Expect, Based on A14 (anandtech.com)
    3. SPEC2006: Almost Performance Parity at Worse Efficiency - The Samsung Galaxy S10+ Snapdragon & Exynos Review: Almost Perfect, Yet So Flawed (anandtech.com)
    4. SPEC2006 Performance: Reaching Desktop Levels - The iPhone XS & XS Max Review: Unveiling the Silicon Secrets (anandtech.com)

Dante69 and Huigiebaby like this.
  9. stajni13
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2021

stajni13 , via OnePlus 9 , Jul 12, 2021 :
    I use OnePlus since years....
    But ATM is OnePlus 9 and pro for me disaster.. I don't receive messages on Gmail,.......
    I can not work with such phone, because I receive mail 30min or 1 hour later, and it makes me crazy.
    So OnePlus development, if you care for users, please give us Chance to make our decision if we want this optimization or not. Add settings that we can turn this optimization on or off!
    Because if nothing changes this is deal breaker for me and many users!!

10. X1626111178320
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2021

X1626111178320 , Jul 12, 2021 :
    How dare you provide actual facts and numbers!!!??? Oneplus 9 pro is the smoothest phone i ever used!!!!! Way better than my friend's uncle's dad's brother's s21 ultra!

mattb77705, Texsus and ikjadoon like this.
  11. Waka_Yama

Waka_Yama , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Thanks for your efforts to give as an overall good performance. It is really appreciated. Never the less it would have been really nice to have knowledge about this selective optimization and how it works out before making a buying decision.
    The other thing is, that i would love to have this as an optional feature. I think the costumer should have the choice between your suggested best expierience and the one without.

Steven dawe, mattb77705 and ikjadoon like this.
  12. pillow35
    User of the Year 2015; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Jul 12, 2021

pillow35 , Jul 12, 2021 :
    Thank you for these explanations. even if they do not answer all the questions, they must be given

13. RacerZ
    KitKat Jul 12, 2021

mattb77705, Caomhin and Dresa91 like this.
  14. HarshKK14

HarshKK14 , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 12, 2021 :
    I appreciate such a communication from OnePlus. The users deserve an explanation for any issue they face. It's also the company's right to share their story. Rest is upon users to decide it's truthfulness.

No company would like to throttle down it's performance. It's user experience which was focused upon.

mattb77705 likes this.
  15. Waka_Yama

Waka_Yama , Jul 12, 2021 :
    You already have the root course in your statement:
    "As the 9-series phones run extremely hot when doing different tasks, ..."

As we all have the main culprit with the SD888 - why didn't do something about this while desingning the phone in regards of the cooling solution?
    Or why is it okay that the phone is running hot while gameing?
    Don't get me wrong here - i am highly aware that performance needs power. And so there will be an increase in temperature.
    But to give an answer like: "We designed a system of hardware which as a package in havy use won't satisfy the customer anymore. So we do some optimization softwarewise instead of thinking of actual hardware design to, at least, decrease the impact of this SoC." Thats really made simple.
    Choose a SoC that is better suited for the actual user-experience - meaning you will maybe not be among the performance top 10 in benchmarking but you won't have to mess around with the problems.
    This so called "optimization" is no key nor solution - this is a workaround trying to give you a pleasing feeling for the cost of the actual performance potential of the hardware. Which every customer paid for.

16. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 12, 2021

AlienEye , via OnePlus 8T , Jul 12, 2021 :
    This is the worst explanation I could get🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    You think Chrome, Discord and Microsoft office doesn't need much power.
    They are one of the processor hungry apps to exist!!! Streaming needs a real good processing power🤷🏻‍♂️

It's the buyers who must decide they want optimise the apps or not, not manufacturers.🤌

17. OConsultYaseenP
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2021

mattb77705 likes this.
  18. MacDroid
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2021