Intermittent lagging of OnePlus 5 after Android 8.1 update

1. F_Marcus_Brillantes_OIdu
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

F_Marcus_Brillantes_OIdu , May 11, 2018 :
    My OnePlus 5 is experiencing episodes of lagging (severe drop in FPS) after the Android 8.1 update. The lagging is occurs at random, around 3-10 seconds long each episode, around 2-15 times a day then would return to normal FPS. Sometimes there would be no lagging in a day but sometimes it would be a lot. I never noticd this while playing games though. I used SystemPanel to check if there was any sudden drop in clock speeds oe other parameters but there was none.

I've already tried clearing my cache both in settings and in boot-up which did not resolve the lagging. I didn't install any new apps as well.

Is anyone also experiencing this? Ane help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 May 11, 2018

3. PaoloStralla
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

PaoloStralla , May 11, 2018 :
    I'm experiencing the same problem with the oneplus 5t! Really don't know what could be, even with all the apps closed, there is this intermittent lag which isn't obviously ad hardware problem, but a bad software issue! Don't know what to do... Have you tried to format the phone?

4. AnubhavVandkar
    Honeycomb May 11, 2018

AnubhavVandkar , May 11, 2018 :
    Heat isn't a processor's friend and we all know since the 8.1 update, there's been a lot of heat up due to the bad software. It's a vicious cycle we're in. Oreo just isn't one of best optimised android versions there has been. We just have to let it pass the system.
    Suggest you do a downgrade. Better battery with not too much of a compromise

5. PaoloStralla
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

I'm not experiencing any heating problem at all. These lags occur even now, with the device which is totally fresh. I'm quite sure that it's not an hardware problem (heating, too much ram used, processor not enough powerful...) but it's just a bug. I think this because it's totally no sense this thing.

6. nitramcek
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 11, 2018

7. tarunprajapati77778
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

tarunprajapati77778 , May 11, 2018 :
    you are right, since the android nought was running it work smoothly..but after an oreo 8.1 update i and facing the same fps lagging problem.i hope IF there is any update further they could resolve it.

8. F_Marcus_Brillantes_OIdu
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

F_Marcus_Brillantes_OIdu , May 11, 2018 :
    I haven't tried it - but would it make a difference?

9. syamim_7
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

syamim_7 , May 11, 2018 :
    i'm also experiencing this kind of issue with my OP5. at first i thoght my phone was broken, but then it lagged several times a day. this is maybe because of the new update i think. can this issue be resolved soon?

10. PaoloStralla
    Cupcake May 11, 2018

I don't know...

11. DrCarter33
    Eclair May 11, 2018

12. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert May 11, 2018

13. DrCarter33
    Eclair May 11, 2018

DrCarter33 , May 11, 2018 :
    lots of people reported it in the feedback section

14. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert May 11, 2018

Gav_W86 , May 11, 2018 :
    but it is not a "known issue" with the OS unless it has been recorded as such in one of the reports by 1+ staff. It could be some 3rd party software causing it, Truecaller caused lots of hangs across the OS when Oreo was released, that was a Truecaller app issue.

buntycubal likes this.
  15. filipebatt
    Gingerbread May 11, 2018

filipebatt , May 11, 2018 :
    It's not a Oreo problem. The problem is within the OOS. I'm currently using a custom ROM on my OP5 (Pixel Experience) and it doesn't lag at all.

Since the first update of Oxygen to the Android O it's this way, and is yet to be fixed.

16. filipebatt
    Gingerbread May 11, 2018

filipebatt , May 11, 2018 :
    Even though it's only users reporting, and I agree with you that it's not so much of a "known" issue, it's undeniable that OnePlus is facing serious problem optimizing the 5.x.x version of their ROM. It's reported consistently in many threads on this forum, and in other forums, and I can personally confirm that after installing a different ROM, and using the same apps, I can distinctly see difference in performance and fluidity.

17. Lord_of_cache
    Gingerbread May 11, 2018

18. Lord_of_cache
    Gingerbread May 11, 2018

Lord_of_cache , May 11, 2018 :

AnubhavVandkar

Heat isn't a processor's friend and we all know since the 8.1 update, there's been a lot of heat up due to the bad software. It's a vicious cycle we're in. Oreo just isn't one of best optimised android versions there has been. We just have to let it pass the system.
    Suggest you do a downgrade. Better battery with not too much of a compromise​

I didn't experience any lag looping every 10 seconds on my Pixel. It's not a problem of Oreo. I still face such lag looping after a full wipe without restoring any apps and data.

19. jlai8009
    Froyo May 11, 2018

Lord_of_cache likes this.
  20. Jacek Pecka
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 11, 2018