Internal Shared Storage Empty! Please Help!

1. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

danialzaidi , Sep 6, 2019 :
    Greetings everyone,

This is my first post here in the community as well as Oneplus 7 is my first Oneplus device.

Oneplus 7, great device, worth the upgrade, I'm loving everything about it right now except for one really annoying issue. My internal shared storage is showed as empty when I plugged into PC!

I have been trying for more than a month with various solutions but nothing is working. Things that I have tried:

1. Clearing data and cache for Media Storage & External Storage from Apps settings
    2. Clearing cache in recovery mode
    3. Reinstalling drivers

I can only see my internal shared storage when I connect to windows 7, I am using windows 10 and I have tried multiple windows 10 PCs at my office but none seems to detect the contents of my internal shared storage. I regularly backup my media into my laptop weekly, and windows 10 not detecting the internal storage is really getting up to my nerves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 6, 2019

teachmeluv , Sep 6, 2019 :
    What ports do you use on these "Windows 10 Devices"? All these PCs in your office are open to use any source of USB-Storage (Security)?

If you always tried the front ports switch to a port at the rear (for desktop PCs).

Possible workaround: activate USB-Debugging. To do this:

- Enable the developer options by clicking 7 - 8 times on "Build number" under "About phone" in the options
    - the go to "System" and then "Developer options" and seek for "USB-Debugging" and activate it.

Hopefully you also checked the pop-up on your phone after connecting to a PC and switched to "Data transfer".

3. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, as far as I know, all of my the PCs in my office are able to plug in usb devices/storage. I only plugged in the front port, but on my laptop, I've tried all the ports and none are working.

I have also selected "File Transfer" in the popup notification in my OP7.

I've tried by using original usb cable as well as 3rd party usb cable.

And I have also enabled the usb debugging in the developer option.

As I mentioned earlier, I can see GM1900 media storage in "My Computer" which means the computer already detected the storage but when I try to go in, its empty.

Thank you.

4. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 6, 2019

5. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

Also done, I enabled USB debugging in developer mode, still same. And funny, I even tried to activate OTG because I read somewhere in this forum it worked for someone.

6. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 6, 2019

Do you have stock recovery installed? If no and you have TWRP or something similar try to connect via the recovery and see what happens.

7. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

How do I know if its TWRP or Stock? I'm not sure but I will check.

And if its stock, what am I expecting to happen if I connected it to the computer?

8. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 6, 2019

Are you the first user of this phone? Have you ever rooted this device? If your answers are "yes" and "no" then you dont have TWRP installed.

If it is stock then anyway try to boot into recovery and connect the phone to your computer and see if you can see the storage.

9. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

I bought this phone early August. In my country, OP7 are not officially sold here (yet) so these smartphone stores brought in Imported sets I think is China set but they flashed it with Global ROM. So.. I think I am the 1st user and I dont think my phone is rooted because if it is, I will not be able to use any local banking apps but I can.

I wanted to bring it back to the store for them to troubleshoot it but right now I am a few hundred miles away. So I thought in the mean time I could try and troubleshoot it myself.

Anyway, I will try what you suggested just now and reply if there is any updates.

10. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2019

By the way, there's some part of me that is quite confident that this issue is related to Windows 10. Wether its drivers or windows 10 settings itself but I cant figure out what it is, because my old windows 7 laptop could detect the Internal Storage and its contents.

11. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 6, 2019

Does your Windows 10 device have the latest update (1903)? What about the quality updates? Do you have the one from august? Please type "winver" in the search bar and let me know your win10 version number.

12. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 7, 2019

danialzaidi , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've checked, its Version 1804 (OS Build 17134.950)

Do I need to update?

13. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 7, 2019

14. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 11, 2019

danialzaidi , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Hi, sorry for the really late reply. After a few days of backing up data from my laptop, I've formatted my laptop fresh with new windows and guess what, problem solved. windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.1087).

I dont know what went wrong with my previous windows. Hopefully this issue will not resurface again soon.

Thanks for your suggestion. Really appreciate it.

15. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 11, 2019

teachmeluv , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Wow..1709 still working? Then one of the updates for Windows must have destroyed something. Anyway glad you did it right now.

16. danialzaidi
    Cupcake Sep 11, 2019

danialzaidi , Sep 11, 2019 :
    So.. I guess I have to switch off windows update?

17. teachmeluv
    Eclair Sep 11, 2019

teachmeluv , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Normally you would have to do the opposite as the support ends nearly every year (for sure especially for companies) but you should consider keeping Win10 up-to-date as there are also stability updates included in the bigger "creators updates".

18. G_laura_mariadan_vxBd
    Cupcake Sep 17, 2019 at 11:29 PM

G_laura_mariadan_vxBd , Sep 17, 2019 at 11:29 PM :
    Then one of the updates for Windows must have destroyed something. Anyway glad you did it right now.

19. K1568803056554
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2019 at 7:35 PM

K1568803056554 , Sep 22, 2019 at 7:35 PM :
    I was cleaning up my internal storage, and was accessing it via MTP from Windows. I noticed a folder inside Internal Storage labeled 'storage'. It was empty except for another folder which may have been called 'emulated' which was empty except for another folder whose name I don't remember maybe 'legacy' which was empty except for a folder called 'download'.

I thought it was just some junk folders left by an app and deleted the base one called 'storage'.

Now my Internal Storage is suddenly empty. I can copy things back on but I have lost all the contents. The mysterious 'storage' folder is gone as well.

What the heck just happened?