International transaction fee for US credit card

1. breeze Gingerbread Jul 17, 2014

breeze, Jul 17, 2014 :
    Just want to give a heads up to check your credit card's fee schedule when you order your phone in the US. I just ordered my OPO and paypal was warning me that there might be up to 3% of international transaction fee from the credit card company.

I think this is a relatively recent change for some US credit cards, like Chase. It used to be that there is no fee as long as the transaction is done in US dollars. But they have since changed it to be location based so that any transactions outside of the US would incur a fee. So check what your credit card charges before ordering because OnePlus is considered "foreign". I know Capital One does not charge any transaction fee in this case.

LostPorcupine likes this.
  2. rgallimard Eclair Jul 22, 2014

rgallimard, Jul 22, 2014 :
    Did you use a credit card? And were you charged the fee? If so which one? I tried using my chase freedom, (non travel card so normally a 3% charge is placed if you are buying from a foreign company) but ended up paying with bank funds. I'm not sure if paypal is just trying to scare us since they get charged a higher fee when we used credit card but most credit cards offer an extra year of warranty for free.

3. ysr2009 Honeycomb Jul 22, 2014

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

4. LostPorcupine KitKat Jul 22, 2014

LostPorcupine, Jul 22, 2014 :
    Hah, I'm glad I used my Capital One debit card instead of my Chase credit card. Normally would have been the other way around!

5. rgallimard Eclair Jul 22, 2014

rgallimard, Jul 22, 2014 :
    Same, but its better to pay with credit card in case for the benefits, paypal is just being cheap.

pH7 and LostPorcupine like this.
  6. pH7 Honeycomb Jul 22, 2014

pH7, Jul 22, 2014 :
    Insurance.

7. breeze Gingerbread Jul 22, 2014

breeze, Jul 22, 2014 :
    I used my Capital One credit card. Paypal is not lying. I got hit 3% with my Chase card before trying to buy a book from a UK store (not through Paypal) that's priced in USD. That's how I found out they've changed their fees schedule. And I think it's not just Chase neither. Most major banks probably do that as well. Capital One is the exception because their marketing theme is "hassle free".

8. rgallimard Eclair Jul 23, 2014

rgallimard, Jul 23, 2014 :
    Yeah that's understandable, unless you have those "travel's rewards" type of cc, there's always a foreign transaction fee. I was curious if "oneplus tech" is counted as a foreign company. Can someone who bought with a credit card chime in?

9. wimpytx93 Froyo Jul 25, 2014

wimpytx93, Jul 25, 2014 :
    I used a chase freedom card as well, I believe it charges the 3% however I also have a Discover It card and I don't think they charge foreign transaction fees. Anyways $10, for an extra year of warranty coverage isn't bad.

10. cchant Froyo Jul 25, 2014

cchant, Jul 25, 2014 :
    My Pentagon Federal Platinum Rewards card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. Each bank/credit union is different

11. abhi4eternity Cupcake Jul 2, 2016

abhi4eternity, Jul 2, 2016 :
    I bought a One Plus 3 and I had to pay a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee as well. I used a Bank Of America Credit card. Besides having troubles with AT&T which would not recognize my device and hence LTE would not work, this is another trouble. One Plus should do something to reduces these hassles.

12. stephene Cupcake Jul 29, 2017

stephene, Jul 29, 2017 :
    1+ should refund us the foreign transaction fees. This is their fault in the first place by not telling us.

13. ChungHee17 Cupcake Jun 3, 2019

ChungHee17, Jun 3, 2019 :
    I got charged $25 foreign transaction fee with Bank of America Smh. They need to waive these fees if they want customers to order from their website again...