[INTERVIEW] OnePlus 6T - The Future of OxygenOS

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 12, 2018

Cheetosdust , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I know. I buy OnePlus devices mainly because they are stock-ish.

It's easy for me: start adding stupid features, I stop buying phones.

I'll wait and see what this is and will decide based on that.

2. anunayC
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2018

anunayC , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I already feel OxygenOS is one of the cleanest Operating systems, regarding the new gestures described, I hope they don't make it like the MIUI ones (back gesture on side of the screen) and stick to something stock like the gesture navigation on Pie... Although they are convenient OnePlus should be following that kinda route!
    Well excited for what's about to go down!

Abhi Dahiya and deviantartjr like this.
  3. jezgibson
    Froyo Oct 12, 2018

jezgibson , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I think we need a change of mindset as a community with regards to this. OnePlus have for several years taken a twice-yearly approach to launching the next iteration of their device. I applaud this. Okay, I accept that my device is only going to be the 'new' one for six months. But I don't care about that. I renew my device every 18-24 months and I can buy the next one safe in the knowledge that the fast iteration cycle employed by OnePlus means I'll have the best of breed functionality on my next device. OnePlus have also raised their game in terms of software in my view, so I'm also confident that we'll see trickle down in terms of UI features to the OnePlus 6 and even maybe further down the range. There will always be device-specific OS optimisations, but I trust OnePlus to share the love in a way that's best for each device.

If you want the 'new device' for a year, buy an iPhone and it'll be the new kid on the block for two years. I'm not getting at the OP with this response, it's a general comment.

kaushaldevy and NetoConcatto like this.
  4. SanthoshGurram
    Honeycomb Oct 12, 2018

G_alan_payne_vbuY likes this.
  5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 12, 2018

Cheetosdust , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Did I write I was the one complaining about the OnePlus 6T?

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  6. jezgibson
    Froyo Oct 12, 2018

jezgibson , Oct 12, 2018 :
    No you didn't and I made reference to the fact that I wasn't in any way criticising you. Your comment prompted a related thought, it's not a direct response to what you said. Apologies for any upset caused.

MarkAle and Cheetosdust like this.
  7. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Oct 12, 2018

The_Unkown , Oct 12, 2018 :
    what I guess , the UI should be similar to what now open beta are using on 5 and 5T , I was literally surprised when it didn't come to OnePlus 6 and even after pie update it didn't appear.

I really hope to see the similar thing in OnePlus 6T this time , and if it is true , I don't think community is gonna split as most of them have given a positive feedback for the new UI.

But still it is a matter of time , let's wait. Any way change has to come today or tomorrow. Let's embrace it , the change.

8. vsrmohan
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2018

vsrmohan , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Well, I assume that it would be pushed to other devices too. Else, going to make a lot of us angry!

Light54 and F_Hersh_Shah_fqmw like this.
  9. Pradeep@1+
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 12, 2018

Pradeep@1+ , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Nice interview @Chris dB. Hope everything go well as planned. Much awaited to see 6T launch, but unfortunately could not bear a new device for now. But definitely will keep my eye out for what's happening in OP.

10. jimmmysil
    Honeycomb Oct 12, 2018

jimmmysil , Oct 12, 2018 :
    It was just a parallelism. The point is that every company does the same just to boost more than hype about new products. Bottom line is that eventually every op device will get the new features and the new UI, they did that with face unlock and op 5/5t, the new designed UI that op6 now has 1stly introduced with op 5T beta and eventually op6 got it after a few weeks and the same will happen with op 6T and the all new ui + features.

11. lordmada
    Eclair Oct 12, 2018

lordmada , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I Thought we might see some new tweaks like auto turn on Don't disturb mode while calling... Etc

12. JochemV
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2018

JochemV , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I really hope the new improvements will come to phones like the 6 and 5T too. That will show us the strength of OnePlus, not only improving their newest phones, but also their previous models.

13. Dresa91
    Android Q Oct 12, 2018

Dresa91 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    thanks for this interesting interview @Chris dB :)
    you make me (and think all) curious about the „new design“! let’s see :)
    marketing at its best ;) How best to bind everyone to the launch event:) :p

14. Andy lone
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2018

15. Raymo95
    Cupcake Oct 12, 2018

Raymo95 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I love this interview! I think the new OS won't be such a drastic change I wouldn't worry guys! I expect some tweaks and improvements that will translate to the 6 as well most definitely :).

16. Deactivated User
    Oct 12, 2018

Deactivated User , Oct 12, 2018 :
    Hi Chris dB,

Pls tell me, will OnePlus devices still experience Play Store issues (error 495 and 924 when trying to update apps) once the phone becomes relatively old, say, 1 year old?
    I have the problem on my 5T with Play Store since March 2018 (endless error 495 and 924) , which is still not resolved. I want to get a crystal clear assurance from someone from OnePlus, is it temporary problem, or is it permanent and common to all OP devices. I wrote many times here about this issue.

Many thanks.
    Sincerely,
    OnePlus user

17. Suraj Pai K
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2018

Suraj Pai K , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I would personally like more and more features to be added to the quick settings tiles. e.g. it would be great if I could change the theme from here itself.

18. Bryn26
    Honeycomb Oct 12, 2018

Bryn26 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    As long as OnePlus is including their still-new OnePlus 6 in the new 6T software goodness, I think 6 owners would respond very positively to the announcement event. I have a 6 and have been dying for improved navigation gestures. It sounds like OnePlus might have nailed them finally.

If 6 owners are left out in the cold or with a long wait for an update, then the discussion won't be so positive.

ShashankSharma3240 and Predict23 like this.
  19. chaitanyabatra
    Donut Oct 12, 2018

20. Aquib1999
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2018

Aquib1999 , Oct 12, 2018 :
    I have a request plz add screen recorder with internal audio in oxygen os bcz We love to game on this beast and record gameplay
    But No app on playstore allow to record screen with internal audio
    I mean these are the basic feature for a perfect smartphone
    They must allow to record internal sound atleast for games
    After all this is 2018
    people love to watch Android gameplay live stream on YouTube , like pubg gameplay even ASPHALT 9 and fortnite coming soon
    (Many of my friend switched to iPhone, Samsung or xiaomi so they can live stream or share GAMEPLAY videos with system sound)
    And I'm still hoping that Oneplus gonna add this in oxygen os
    Because as of now we can't do this even after root

Mydnite and F_Hersh_Shah_fqmw like this.