Interview with Carl Pei on Tom's Hardware, mentions Oppo as ODM

1. alexbdavies
    Eclair Mar 13, 2014

2. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Community Expert Mar 13, 2014

Andrew Z , Mar 13, 2014 :
    "OnePlus One will be highly customizable, both in terms of the software and the hardware" Carl

What could @Carl mean by hardware customizable? I am intrigued!

3. fabripav
    Honeycomb Mar 13, 2014

fabripav , Mar 13, 2014 :
    Same. Thanks for posting Alex!

4. Andrew Z

Hardware customizability that I have heard of up to this point is the choice of 16 or 64 GB storage and choice of on/off screen buttons (still can not figure out how that would work, if it is true)

Does someone have logical ideas of what else could be customizable?

My first idea was about special customizable back cover with various functions like in Jolla phone. But OnePlus team promises phone to fit like a glove and look very good, so I can not imagine changeable back covers in such scenario. Maybe we will have colour options like in Moto Maker or personalized 3D printed cases???

5. fabripav
    Honeycomb Mar 13, 2014

Andrew Z likes this.
  6. Andrew Z

Another option of hardware customizability that I hear a lot about on internet are interchangeable camera lenses. But I personally find such an idea just crazy and not that realistic

7. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Senior Moderator Mar 13, 2014

Mark Falsing , Mar 13, 2014 :
    The GizChina people heard of a rumor on weibo in the begining of the week. The first was a smart wake function, the second was a removable back cover without being able to replace the battery. It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true as well.

GregOrevo likes this.
  8. Andrew Z

Did they specify in the rumour whether the back cover is changeable just to use different colour covers or it actually brings some sort of extra functionality?

9. Mark Falsing

No specifics, just that it was removable and that it could be customized. Also that the front camera is 5MP

10. Mark Falsing

There might be some truth to the removable backcover, since the latest contest will allow you to "touch the back" of the OPO. Maybe it's the removable cover the Winner of the contest is allowed to feel :rolleyes:

11. GregOrevo
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2014

GregOrevo , Mar 13, 2014 :
    :eek: would make sense but would be funny to see the winner's face when he can (only) see the removable cover, with a "hey, you thought we were gonna show u the whole thing??"

Mark Falsing likes this.
  12. ML_Heng
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2014

ML_Heng , Mar 13, 2014 :
    OPPO is ODM and not OEM, Orginal equipment manufacturer.

There is a great difference between the two.

ODM the manufacturer is responsible design, and Oneplus is responsible for branding and marketing only.

OEM, Oneplus is responsible for both design, branding and marketing.

If Oneplus One is indeed ODM phone from OPPO, then it's highly likely that it's going to take a reference design of Oppo and make some minor hardware and software differentiations, which probably why Carl said it's highly customizable.

I have this feeling that Oneplus One is going to be very identical to find 7, maybe that's why the teaser picture did not show the bottom, as it has the led notification light below?

13. Noel
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2014

Noel , Mar 13, 2014 :
    I like oppo manufacturing the 1+1 proven track record of making phones

14. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 13, 2014

Radeon962 , Mar 13, 2014 :
    It would make sense to "borrow" from the Find 7 to save on manufacturing costs, development costs, etc. LG/Google do it with the Nexus.

Find 7 is a great looking phone so that would not be a bad model to get design cues from.

15. sudo-O//e
    Donut Mar 13, 2014

sudo-O//e , Mar 13, 2014 :
    i imagine the choice of on screen buttons and the "hardware buttons" that was showed on one of the pics is one option he might be referring too, changeable back covers seems something that could be in the realm of possibility as well.

16. Sparkolo
    KitKat Community Expert Mar 13, 2014

Sparkolo , Mar 13, 2014 :
    I'd really love interchangeable backs, if you can also buy case/bumper-integrated one ;)
    So that you have the premium quality, the color choice and also a protection without hiding the design ;)

17. riffraff81
    KitKat Mar 13, 2014

riffraff81 , Mar 13, 2014 :
    oppo being the ODM means oppo is the one who will be given the prototype made by 1+1 and mass produce it.

they may take some pointers from oppo but this is their design.

18. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2014

Chinda , Mar 13, 2014 :
    Yeah we already knew about oppo manufacturing the OnePlus phone in there chinese factory & bbk being one of OnePlus first investors. Design should be good as OnePlus has project manager who helped produce the oppo find 5. That would be cool if there were interchangeable back covers :)

19. Otelo
    Honeycomb Mar 13, 2014

Otelo , Mar 13, 2014 :
    Probably the interchangable back could have something to do with if you want NFC or not...

sudo-O//e likes this.
  20. sudo-O//e
    Donut Mar 14, 2014

sudo-O//e , Mar 14, 2014 :

or qi wireless charging?

Chinda, GregOrevo and oaklandnative like this.