Introducing our new Gamification System

1. Amanda W.
    Head of Global Community Staff Member Jul 10, 2020

Amanda W. , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Exp+.png

Hi everyone,

Back in May, I shared a few updates on the OnePlus Community – a simplified moderator structure, a tuned warning system and updated Terms and Rules. Since then, we’ve been working behind the scenes on bringing two major changes to the Community – a revamped medal system and an entirely new user ladder, and we want your opinion on the latter!

• A shiny new medal system
    For those of you using the web version of the OnePlus Forums, you may know our trophy system. Now, we’re revamping the medal system and bringing it to the Community app. With the new system, we are doubling down on rewarding those that are active in a positive way, joining our co-creation campaigns – OEFs, IDEAS, among others, helping others and sharing high-quality content. The medal system will also be the foundation for the new user ladder.

Medals.jpg

For now, the new medal system is only available in the Community app, but, in the future, there will be a single system, available in both platforms.

We’re also bringing a check-in feature to the Community app [on the top of your profile page]. By checking in daily, you’ll be able to unlock additional medals, while also helping you going through the user ladder.

Daily Check-In.jpg
    • A user ladder focused on positive participation
    The current user ladder – from cupcake to Android Q – is based on only two aspects: comments posted and likes received.

Moving forward, we will create an entirely new user ladder based on valuable participation – users that are active on a regular basis, while joining major campaigns, helping others and creating threads that benefit others. These actions and any medals you’ll receive will be rewarded with experience points (XP) that will help you rise through the ranks.

Everyone will start with 0 XP as we roll out the new system, and once we’re sure that everything is working smoothly, we will fully migrate to the new user ladder, in such a way that users will rank up according to their current level.

• Points are also getting updated
    Many users reported the same – the current raffle points aren’t user-friendly, being hard to know how to win and spend raffle points. We’re making it much simpler, there will be only one rule – for each XP you gain, you also get a raffle point (RP) to use. We’re also working on bringing Raffles to the Community app, making it easier for you to spend that hard-earned RP.

Aside from the name change and the simplified rules, you get to keep the current points you have to use them in Raffles.

You can check here for more details about XP and RP.

As we’re moving away from the current titles, using the Android codenames to a new user ladder with 7 levels, we want your suggestions for the names for those 7 levels in the new system.

The Writers’ Club is hosting a special Hello Weekend thread where you can submit your ideas. As an incentive, we’ll reward our favourite 5 entries with 30 XP, so this is your first chance to start ranking up.

Join now here!

We understand this may be a big change for many of you. Feel free to share your thoughts and questions in the comments below and we’ll do our best to address as many as possible.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jul 10, 2020

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Hey there,

We're continuously working on improving the Community app and the issue yout just raised is already identified to be fixed.

Still, I'd like to point out that the only thing, as of now, that is specific to the Community app, is the check-in functionality. Everything else regarding the XP system works the same on both platforms.

aris, MosheG1, rajshah2412 and 15 others like this.
  3. dsmonteiro

Stickied Post
    Hopefully, yes. One of our guidelines for the future is to promote and highlight high-quality user generated content. This is definitely high-up on our list.

This is something that we've flagged already. Right now, only the thread creator or a moderator can pick the best answer. We're exploring the possibility of having it as a community vote. What do you think about that?
    Moreover, we're discussing having a campaign to highlight this feature, so that more people help use it and help others.

I'll forward this feedback, thanks.

XP is built in such a way that it helps us identify users that consistently participate and help, which was something that was harder for us to do in the past. With this, it's easier to highlight those users, in actions like the Community Awards we hosted in 2018 or the Users of the Year we picked last year.
    We however don't have anything planned regarding events like OEFs.

4. dsmonteiro

Stickied Post
    Till then, the current levels are in place. ;)

That's just one of aspects. You also get points for daily activity, best answers, as well as presence in major events, getting medals, etc.

The cool thing is that we can use XP as a way to reward that participate in any sort of activity we choose and we can expand the system in the future at any time.

5. dsmonteiro

Stickied Post
    The points you had to use in raffles are now RP. It will not translate into XP.

XP is starting at 0 for everyone, but once we move to the new user ladder, your current user level will be taken into account, getting an amount of XP according to your level so you already advance in the new user ladder.

suhantm, Trista W., the_o2 and 5 others like this.
  6. dsmonteiro

Stickied Post
    Trophy points were vanity points that weren't used for anything. Those are no longer in place.
    The reason why we chose to do this was because these points were terribly unbalanced, with 2014 users that never posted it participated in any way having more points than more recent very active users.

Concurrently, you had "points", also known as "raffle points" that could be used to enter Raffles. This is what's now RP.

7. Trista W.
    Global Community <3 Staff Member Jul 13, 2020

Stickied Post
    Trista W. , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Hi everyone, after going through all your heated discussion here, I can really tell how much attachment you paid to our forums. :sweatsmile:
    At the very beginning, last September, we started our idea of revamping the gamification system as we are paying more attention to this almost forgotten OnePlus product-Community APP. We do realize how flawed it is now and how bad the user experience it can offer, even if we ourselves won't open Community APP quite often. But the truth is that the mobile app is something inevitable and in the trend. We can never achieve a better user experience or develop a sustainable forum with most efforts spent on Web version. Hence, you probably will notice we are steering at APP and we really appreciate all your feedback towards APP. Yes, it has many problems now but we are trying our best to make Community APP a better platform where you are able to dive into all information and knowledge flowing around OnePlus and receive all possible help through a integrated and robust APP.

And about your worries on if we are shifting more focus on content creation and overlooking those tech ninjas, the answer is definitely 'No'. To some extent, I have to admit that I have overlooked this part as I'm not fully aware of this group. But I do see how this group represent the origins of OnePlus Community and definitely will take their contributions into our future plan on gamification. Everything contributing to a healthier and more lively forum is what and where we are looking at.

8. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Placeholder for future thoughts.

So no more value from cupcake trolling, just spiritual pleasure? And how can we live without telling cupcakes, that they are damn cupcakes?

What now: junior, newbie, newcomer, roockie, tyro? Pei coin as level 7?

And frankly speaking all that staff with assistance does nothing. Just checked my acc, guess what?) Only 2 best answers [e]1f602[/e] It's much more rewarding to write funny posts or take part in games.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020

9. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 10, 2020

YRJ , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Congratulations to the entire team on the new changes, I hope this will elevate the forum experience for everyone.

Way to go! :cool:

10. Girish.Pranav
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 10, 2020

11. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 10, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Thankyou @Amanda W. for the update if new ladder system. I really think this is a good thing tbh, the good contents would be better recognised this way also the active users gets more from it than other inactive users. I think this is ought to increase the participation in the threads, valuing creativity and bringing new ideas on the table.

Some thoughts and questions:

1.) Does that mean we will get to see more featured threads except the Writer's Club threads?

2.)What about the "Best Answers"? Because I see others and even myself helping people around here but the threads don't get closed and hence no Best Answers awards are given to anyone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3.)Can we get the points history back for now, until everything is running smoothly and unified? I see there is XP history but as you said, it is starting from 0 so until then showing points history too would be a good idea, i guess 😊

4.) Will the trophy/award system give an edge to users for getting selected for OEFs and more community related activities?

12. SeanPlus

SeanPlus , Jul 10, 2020 :
    So no OnePlus RPG? 😅

Artemus. and Swatiranjan like this.
  13. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2020

14. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2020

fragargon , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Hi Amanda,

Going forward is always a good move instaed of being stack.
    I'm eager to know how you will evaluate this, joining major campain... elected and or submitting application?
    active on the forum ==> badges? actually they work only if you "check in" with the community app.
    this app is not yet as friendly as the web version... mising link (embedded code) and few information.
    Helping other... hardly seen someone reacting because he/she has been helped.
    Thread that benefits other, how will be "evaluted" ?

Well much question that I'm sure will find right answer.
    thank you, enjoy the WE... almost there.

15. vegabaja777
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2020

16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jul 10, 2020

17. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jul 10, 2020

the_o2 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    There was no problem with the old system in my opinion it was good, it treated each users equally.

Now it is more focused on community app which is still broken, you can't see who is mod or who is staff member basically you can't see any tags....., People don't even realise who they talking too, I seen many thread where Bug hunter wants the log files and users don't give them because they don't even know they are bug hunters trying to help them.

18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 10, 2020

19. Tarun_334
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2020

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN and Dresa91 like this.
  20. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    I was adding more things in my comment but actually those are related to community app which I mentioned in past as well.
    Many questions are asked already by Batman.

Just wanted to add one thing
    It started with XP 0 for all this not fare especially who joined the forum in 2014 and actually done many things for this forum.

21. the_o2

the_o2 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    We can't mark best answer from community app and mejority of threads created by app users, hope we will see it app soon.

No, why vote. Thread creator is best for this if not Mods are great.

22. dsmonteiro

Hence why

23. Cakepips

Cakepips , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Quick question: obviously some contests recently , like the jacket for example, had Community points as rewards. Not 100% if these have been rewarded yet and if not, how the conversion to the new system will work with these?

(I know a few people had highlighted they hadn't received it on that thread...)

24. dsmonteiro

Great question!

Those points that were awarded in previous competitions were what is now called RP. You will still have them as RP. Moving forward, we'll have the possibility to award you with XP+RP instead.