Introducing the New Features on Android 10

1. Manu J.
    Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Sep 5, 2019

Manu J. , Sep 5, 2019 :
    Hi everyone,

Android may have lost its dessert codenames, but it hasn't made the new update any less sweet! With Android 10, Oxygen OS is getting a plethora of meaningful improvements that are sure to provide you with an even better user experience. We've already teased some of the changes in the last few weeks (here and here), but today we want to introduce some of the features that we consider to be most impactful on your day-to-day.

If you've already tried the Android 10 Open Beta for the OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro, be sure to leave your comments below on these features and any other that might've impressed you.
    • Customization settings
      OnePlus offers you more customization settings, including lock screen, system, and 3 preset themes for you to choose from. In lock screen customization, you can choose your favorite clock style, fingerprint animation, and wallpaper. Horizon light effects can also be tuned to your liking (limited to OnePlus 7 Pro users). If you are craving for new challenges, OnePlus customization settings will definitely bring you a fresh experience with enriched features.

customization10.jpg

• Smart Display in Ambient display
      Want to know the name of that tune you're humming without having bother to unlock the screen? Android 10 makes it possible for you to view the name of the song by double-tapping the screen. This burdenless feature can display more information, such as Music, Weather and Calendar, depending on what makes more sense at that time.

• Comprehensive privacy management
      The new version brings with it a comprehensive privacy management, which gives you total control over how apps have access to the “location” permission. You can "always allow", "allow only while using the app", "forbid" or "don't ask again once prohibited". In this way, your privacy is assured, even when apps are trying to track your location in the background.

permission.png

We've also designed a special page focused on Privacy. Permission manager will give you a full picture of the apps containing sensitive information like contacts, messages, etc. You can see and choose whatever apps are granted access to each permission.

privacy10.jpg

• Master Your Notifications with Two Modes
      In Android 10, you have two modes to choose from when receiving apps notifications:
      • Important: the notification will be received with sound or vibration
      • Other: the notification will be received without any sound or vibration, which keeps you focused.
        notification10.png
    The difference of the two modes lies in whether it is pushed with sound or vibration. You can therefore decide which apps’ notifications matter the most to you and which are better to just stay silent.
    • Game Space
      This new Android update also gave us the perfect opportunity to bring new features to Oxygen OS, such as Game Space. This brand-new feature is perfect for game players that want the smoothest experience while gaming. All your games can be found under one roof. In this Space, you also have access to options like Fnatic Mode and Graphic Optimization to bring your gaming to the next level. Moreover, a new feature has been added for you to know the time spent on each game app. You will have better time control of your entertainment.

game10.png

• Share Wi-Fi
      Android 10 is detail-oriented, and Share Wi-Fi is a good example. Having to look for the Wi-Fi password is a thing of the past! Sharing access to a Wi-Fi network is as easy as pressing a button. You just enter the Wi-Fi&internet setting page and open the desired network to get the QR code for sharing. The password will also show in the text below.

sharewifi10.png

2. U1561134144882
    Cupcake Sep 5, 2019

U1561134144882 , Sep 5, 2019 :
    how's the super steady video mode and also the new 'themes' btw they are not new but just renamed to look a little bit funkier. I thought OnePlus might add a new theme like AMOLED dark with black color not grey just like oneui

Well this beta don't support your OnePlus Community app
    And also super steady mode is not available on OnePlus 7
    I thought OnePlus will change icon pack but they are still same and now kinda feels boring.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019

3. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2019

Some_Random_Username , Sep 5, 2019 :
    That's very nice, but I think GameSpace is a kind of waste as Digital Wellbeing already allows to know which time we spent in individual apps and as Google Play Games already exists to list all games presents on our device.

4. Magnetic Nerd
    Jelly Bean Sep 5, 2019

Magnetic Nerd , Sep 5, 2019 :
    The dark theme needs changing it's too inconsistent with the rest of the UI, Some black some grey it just looks bad.

Either make the whole dark theme grey or all of it black.

Game space needs a dark mode also.

5. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 5, 2019

YRJ , Sep 5, 2019 :
    I was about to post a similar thread. It was almost ready :oops:

6. SHAHID25896
    Eclair Sep 5, 2019

SHAHID25896 , Sep 5, 2019 :
    Or an option for dark and grey themes separately.

7. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2019

As well as Zen Mode and OnePlus Switch.
    Dark theme is very nice but it being inconsistent is really sad

8. Asish Behera
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2019

Asish Behera , Sep 5, 2019 :
    why is the notification panel not black? Android 10 has black(not dark) notification panel. The black would have saved a whole lot of battery.

9. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

AxelJD and Starcommander like this.
  10. Abhi Dahiya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2019

Abhi Dahiya , Sep 5, 2019 :
    GameSpace isn't just about time spent on games. And neither it is to just list all games present on our device.

GameSpace will provide all customisation options for all games on the phone in one place. And separate settings, optimisations can be applied to each game.

None of which is present in Digital Wellbeing and Play Games which serve totally different purpose.

True. They need to bring more coherence with regards to Dark Mode. I think i read that OnePlus would bring dedicated Dark theme(for grey) and another AMOLED theme for Full Black. They should do it.

11. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

Maverick2.0 , Sep 5, 2019 :
    You could do a review a few weeks later, bro. :)

YRJ likes this.
  12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 5, 2019

13. E1556645360081
    Donut Sep 5, 2019

E1556645360081 , Sep 5, 2019 :
    i really think u should give your own android guestures not like pixel and i think the recents panel should be improved more smoother like ios

TrumpetMike, Linxx, AZGARDS and 4 others like this.
  14. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

Is this something similar to what the Pixel phones have? Can anyone confirm? Will it come to 6/T too?
    Always On Display will be highly appreciated.

15. JelleZon
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

JelleZon , Sep 5, 2019 :
    Can someone show or explain what's so special about smart display?

That description just sounds like a normal adaptive display

16. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

Any idea if 6/T will get it? I mean, any hardware limitations?

17. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

I would rather have Always on Display.

18. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 5, 2019

Does this work? How exactly does the phone understand the tune if I am humming it?

19. C1539513717008
    Cupcake Sep 5, 2019

C1539513717008 , Sep 5, 2019 :
    Can you please add auto-dark mode setting like iOS 13?
    it's so convenient...
    thank you guys [e]1f4aa[/e]

SweyZ, TrumpetMike, zhonyssov and 6 others like this.
  20. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2019

Note that it's however partly what it is advertised for.
    See
    In my opinion game mode related settings should rather go to Settings --> Utilities --> Gaming mode instead of getting a dedicated app

Maria Pap likes this.