Invites for Spammers (!?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shem_pl Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

shem_pl, May 17, 2014 :
    Today OnePlus officially announced that they will give invites to their "loyal" forum members (more information here) There are a few criteria that will be taken into account:
    1) Your “forum age” - that one makes sense
    2) Your participation - you must have a minimum amount of posts
    3) Recent activity - we want our members to still be with us!

This system seems to be very flawed. As long as I understand the fact that people who started spreading the excitement around OnePlus from the beginning should be rewarded... I DON'T understand why all the spammers should be rewarded for their activity.

From the beginning the OnePlus forums have not been moderated properly. As a result there are over 7800 threads !!! A lot of them have been created just for the sole purpose of bumping users activity or status as a member.

Why would spammers that post useless comments all over forums or those who start threads such as "are there any shisha smokers here" be rewarded? I am sure that since the announcement today there will be a lot more spamming going on.

In my opinion the participation should not be taken into account. If you really want to include this criterion you should moderate your forum properly and remove hundreds of pointless threads.

psyc0mus, praveen123, AAR and 37 others like this.
  2. JordanC Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

3. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert May 17, 2014

dsmonteiro, May 17, 2014 :
    It's easy to go to a member page and see if he just spammed or actually added some meaningful content to the Forum, so I'm not worried about that.

JeffinAZ and MSD like this.
  4. Mina Bolis Gingerbread May 17, 2014

5. shem_pl Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

shem_pl, May 17, 2014 :
    Yes it's easy for you, but can you imagine that the OnePlus people will actually view every single profile before they send the invite out? I highly doubt that.

6. Mina Bolis Gingerbread May 17, 2014

Mina Bolis, May 17, 2014 :
    As far as I understand, its gonna be computer based so its all about the numbers not the content

mellowtico likes this.
  7. Blue Gold Honeycomb May 17, 2014

Blue Gold, May 17, 2014 :
    Well I think that participation should be taken into account. As they said they also want members that are still motivated to have the phone so that once they get it they will invite and show the product to all their friends and pets.

8. shem_pl Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

shem_pl, May 17, 2014 :
    We can already see increased activity on all threads. People comment without even reading what the thread is about .

Peteddp likes this.
  9. wasapp1 Honeycomb May 17, 2014

10. oscarvanl Jelly Bean May 17, 2014

oscarvanl, May 17, 2014 :
    I imagine it will be a simple formula to check the order of invites...

1.) Is the user older than X? If so, add them to the list.
    2.) Has the old user made over (50) posts, then keep them on the list.
    3.) Has the user posted in the last (2 weeks) then keep them on the list.

Obviously these are just guesses for figures, but I wouldn't be too worried about it, A spammer with 500 posts is unlikely to get it before a person here from the beginning with 150 posts.

11. l4mpj3 Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

l4mpj3, May 17, 2014 :
    Spammers are mostly new members. The oldest members will probably the more serious members.

Captn_King and rocker1904 like this.
  12. ocspeed Gingerbread May 17, 2014

13. illiria Gingerbread May 17, 2014

illiria, May 17, 2014 :
    :( there is nothing what we can do .. :( Their decisions are not always logical

14. forgotten Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

forgotten, May 17, 2014 :
    how it is invite for spamers really if you join recently you wont fall in the loyal fans categories

thepanttherlady likes this.
  15. Muckpuck Ice Cream Sandwich May 17, 2014

Muckpuck, May 17, 2014 :
    They probably have written a script that'll go through likes, posts, activity and member-since date.
    You must have some faith in them.. They won't just toss around and throw away the limited number of invites they have.

16. dentillozie Gingerbread May 17, 2014

17. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert May 17, 2014

dsmonteiro, May 17, 2014 :
    This ^^^

Unfortunately spamming for invites and rants and whatnot was a thing that started after the invites were announced. Most of the forum members registered before that don't even speak about invites.

irishrally likes this.
  18. (MUG3NHC) Jelly Bean May 17, 2014

19. virgil1981 KitKat May 17, 2014

virgil1981, May 17, 2014 :
    Yea, but they are going by join date so people can spam all they want. It won't help if you just joined.

20. meatmichael Donut May 17, 2014

meatmichael, May 17, 2014 :
    no ofcourse they don't view every single member manually, they proberbly just make some kind of filter, that would allow to pin point those with alarming high amount of posts per hour